Pod Your Reef

How he has this many happy customers is beyond me!

tk3445

Reefcleaners.com is terrible as far as I can tell. I see everyone loves this guy here. I gave him a chance as it would be easier than going to my LFS over an hour away. I asked for a Thursday ship day to receive it on Saturday when I would be home he refused as he was worried they would sit thru the weekend and die. So I said o.k. and asked for them to be shipped Wednesday and I would receive Friday or Saturday at worst but since I wouldn't be home on Friday until a few hours after my mail arrived I asked for it to be sent without signature requirement. I got an e-mail back from him saying it was too risky and he would refund my money. I was upset as he states on his site it is not an issue to ship without signature you just have to alert him.

Now I get the refund receipt and he refunded me 35 cents less than I paid because of fees. 35cents is not a lot of money but it is principle at this point now. I never asked for a refund I asked for a different ship date or a non signature shipping. There is no way I should have to eat the fees because of his decision not to sell to me. Not to mention I am yet to see the actual refund in my account just his receipt via e-mail.

I don't know if I caught him on an off day or what the situation is!

Will be happy to update or remove this once he makes this right.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hahahaha. Duh. Sorry. It was on the front page so I just dove in. John does have a great rep and I'm hoping he was just having an off day. Maybe it's also a seasonal thing. It's getting cold so shipping is riskier.

Lol, if I PayPal you 35 cents will you stop being a whinny b*tch?

This just shows that John cares about the Gastropods that he is sending out to you. He's looking out for your best interest. Just wait till you have a more accessible schedule to order them. This does not warrant a bad review dude.

65 degrees projected highs for everyday this week and thru the weekend in my area and I live in snow county CNY. haha. once Mid-November hits I wouldn't even consider a livestock shipment!

I just think it is a piss poor way to do business. I value the fact he cared more about the livestock and a possible pissed off customer than $16. Its like He made the decision to not ship to me why should i lose money. However Shipping to me is 2 days some people is 3 days so what is the difference if a box of snails sat on my door step for 2 days and 4 hours? or if he shipped to CA and it took 3 days to get there.

It absolutely warrants a bad review.

If i got ripped off 35 cents and didn't worry about it every time i went to the store I would be broke in a year.

However Shipping to me is 2 days some people is 3 days so what is the difference if a box of snails sat on my door step for 2 days and 4 hours? or if he shipped to CA and it took 3 days to get there.

I live in CA and have ordered from him 3 separate times and they all arrived in 2 days, not 3 days. 3 days is pushing it for a bunch of snails to be sitting in dirty water in a bag. He's just trying to make sure you don't end up with a box of dead smelly snails. If you're going to write such a negative review over this, then he's definitely be getting a negative review from you over a bunch of dead snails. He's a great guy who owns a very stand up business and I'm sure you could work something out. I'm sure there was just a misunderstanding and that he really didn't want to risk the snails dying. Also, he's waived the signature for me several times no problem, so honestly, I think its a misunderstanding and you can work something out.

He has immaculate feedback.

As with all feedback there are 2 sides to the story. I have had nothing but stellar experiences with him.

I would say one of the three happened.

1) You did not communicate well with him and there was a misunderstanding

2) For whatever reason he decided he did not want to deal with you and decided to refuse you service and change you a service fee (very standard policy) Just because you become hard to deal with does not mean he cannot charge you a restocking or service fee for a refund.

3) He felt the animals were at risk and felt your schedule was to incompatible with his shipping options.

Either way, I would just accept that you and him won't be doing business and move on. The majority of the reef world loves this guy and his service.

It absolutely warrants a bad review.

A bad reviews purpose is to warn potential customers. What are you warning us of? If we want snails to be shipped 3rd day he won't do it and will refund our money minus a service fee... <_<

Point taken.

I understand what you mean. You just picked the wrong guy to rant about in nano-reef. I can guarantee you that everyone here will disagree with you.

I know everyone loves the guy and everyone has had good luck. my schedule is M-F noon to 8pm my mail comes around 3 - 4pm. I just don't understand why he went right to a refund instead of waiving the signature option like I asked. I don't know how much clearer I could be. I was less of a dick before I got charged a fee for his decision.

35cents isn't a ton of money I would be the first to acknowledge that it is principal that I never asked for a refund and I attempted different delivery dates. Still unacceptable to him. I suppose I don't understand how 4 extra hours on my door step would just warrant him to send me a refund without further explanation.

you are right I do accept the fact There is very little chance I would do business with him again based on this experience and wouldn't recommend him to anyone at this point. Complications do happen in the business world I know it all too well as I work directly with between 800-1000 customers daily. Hopefully him and I can work this out, I can get my snails I need and he can make a few bucks.

I figured I would get blasted for writing something bad about someone everyone else loves but here in America that is allowed!

If he is half the guy he has the reviews for he will address my concerns and either e-mail or call me as i have requested to him in the last e-mail I sent him. I may lose 35 cents on the deal but I think I deserve a better explanation.

John may chime in on this to get to the bottom of the situation but I'm sure it all comes down to the safety and health of the animals in his care. Kudos to you knowing full well you were going to be drawn and quartered for your opinion but posting anyway.

Three sides to every story. I can't wait to hear side #2.

Now, the weather report might be nice there in NY, but maybe it's crappy at the other end? I dunno.

I've had crazy delivery needs all this year, and John met mine with no trouble. I do know that Saturday delivery requires an extra fee from FedEx and UPS, and is not available unless you take overnight delivery...

<shrug

I am pissed about 35 cents but I am more pissed at the lack of explanation to the issues. when i said just send it without a signature a day earlier so i can get it when i get home from work. his e-mail response was "that seems too risky Ill issue you a refund" then forwarded me a refund receipt.

If I were to lose $16 worth of snails because of my schedule I would be mad but I wouldn't hold John accountable. I wouldn't be writing a positive or negative because it was my own stupidity.

Like I have continued to say I realize everyone here loves him. Like i have said from the start it is possible I caught him on a bad day or something we all have crap days and it may have been easier for him to refund my money than to work with me further because of outside issue. but some explanation would have been appreciated.

He clearly cares more for the animals than upsetting you, and I dont see a problem with that. I wish more reeefers advocated for the animals because they clearly cant do it themselves. His policy is to cover doa and you cant expect him to take the risk of eating an order when he already operates on tight margins. He knows what his livestock can take.

Tell me your pp address and ill send you the measly $.35.

Im sorry dude, you cant rationalize this one. There are some aholes in this hobby that deserve a public beating, but after four orders, I can assure you John is not one of them.

Cops get a bad rap for being dicks I am not a cop yet just in training. but i was less of a dick maybe even nice before i was told i was getting a refund.

no maybe he refunded you because he did not want to deal with an angry customer...

He clearly cares more for the animals than upsetting you, and I dont see a problem with that. I wish more reeefers advocated for the animals because they clearly cant do it themselves. His policy is to cover doa and you cant expect him to take the risk of eating an order when he already operates on tight margins. He knows what his livestock can take.

Tell me your pp address and ill send you the measly $.35.

Im sorry dude, you cant rationalize this one. There are some aholes in this hobby that deserve a public beating, but after four orders, I can assure you John is not one of them.

read above I said I appreciated the fact he cared more about the animals than the $16 sale. But i highly doubt a few dozen snails sitting on my door step for 4 extra hours is gonna cause a total loss.

I see everyone on here loves the guy I just wish he would have been more workable with me. Maybe he e-mails or calls me tomorrow and we strighten this all out and we had a misunderstanding. its very possible

forward me over the 35 cents in paypal i sure would appreciate it.

forward me over the 35 cents in paypal i sure would appreciate it.

I get it about reefcleaners... he cares more about snails than you. Horrible.

About the "cops being dicks" thing you mentioned... I think you feel slighted that he doesn't want to deal with you. Anger is a natural emotion when you feel ostracized. Your outburst here on NR leads me think you may have narcissistic tendencies, which could explain your need for power and maybe your choice of career. Maybe he doesn't like you. Many more people will dislike you when you become a cop. If you can't deal with rejection by a snail vendor who has a legitimate and non-personal reason for rejecting you, how will you deal with rejection when you're armed with a gun and a nightstick? How are you going to deal with people calling you pig to your face? My personal theory about cops is that most start off as good guys with good intentions, then become dicks. I think you're already a dick - and when you become a cop, you'll be a superdick.

(that's my 35 cents worth)

So you're demanding respect from John with a follow up email even though you don't give it by publicly bashing him - a typical MO of most cops in my experience..respect demanded when none is due. (Sorry, probably just offended a few reefers there! :) ). You'll make a wonderful cop.

John probably ditched you to avoid all sorts of annoying follow up, attention seeking and complaining emails. Looks like were taking up the slack.. you're welcome, John. BTW, 4 hours outside in 40-50 deg weather (the temps it would be at 9am when delivered) would most likely kill the snails; the heat packs are not that strong.

I'm signing off of this ridiculous rant.

I get it about reefcleaners... he cares more about snails than you. Horrible.

About the "cops being dicks" thing you mentioned... I think you feel slighted that he doesn't want to deal with you. Anger is a natural emotion when you feel ostracized. Your outburst here on NR leads me think you may have narcissistic tendencies, which could explain your need for power and maybe your choice of career. Maybe he doesn't like you. Many more people will dislike you when you become a cop. If you can't deal with rejection by a snail vendor who has a legitimate and non-personal reason for rejecting you, how will you deal with rejection when you're armed with a gun and a nightstick? How are you going to deal with people calling you pig to your face? My personal theory about cops is that most start off as good guys with good intentions, then become dicks. I think you're already a dick - and when you become a cop, you'll be a superdick.

(that's my 35 cents worth)

I agree that the OP is overreacting and is wrong to start a thread bashing a reputable seller on a matter that isn't even a closed subject between the two yet, but that's a little ridicules. Why is it that on every friggin' reef fourm I go on, whenever someone posts a thread disagreeing with something it gets blown way off topic and out of proportion? That part should stop right here and the readers/repliers of this thread should get back onto the topic of the OP's issue with reefcleaners. Period.

Totally unnecessary.

I probably had about 6 or 7 transactions with John this past year alone. I had a macro algae die in transit ONCE, and didn't even tell him since he takes such good care of everyone. Every story has two sides and since John is such a stand up guy, I'm sure he will explain himself... So I don't want to cast stones prematurely. ( but I have a pretty good idea who I will be aiming at)

Did you ask him about why the 35 cents was missing? Unless he was a dick and made fun of your cat or something stupid like that, just eat the 35 cents and let by gones be by gones. Isn't that less than what a daily #### costs in toilet paper?

nano_reefer10

Iv'e had multiple transactions with John at Reefcleaners and never once had a problem....Also, 35 cents is not a big deal but I get how you're looking at the principal more than the actual expense.The thing is, I'm sure if you ordered from him again, which you may or may not, you will probably get 5+ dollars worth of free stuff back. Iv'e never once order from him and received anywhere near the actual number of snails I purchased it's always been about 20% more.

Thanks two the last 3 people for something constructive i think that is more of what i was looking for in posting here. I was attempting to start a bash fest on john as everyone else has had good luck with him.

35c, OP is just upset with someone taking his money without an explanation. If anything reefcleaners could have given him a heads up.

I made a bad thread against a great vendor once on this site and realized that it was something that I should have fixed with the vendor and the vendor alone first. Same goes for this thread, but I'm sure he'll come in and fix things up.

Archived