ReefCleaners.org

How he has this many happy customers is beyond me!

tk3445

In the past 4 years I have never heard of anybody having any issues with John that were not immediately rectified.

I guess if he sends them to you(if your reorder), he shouldn't send you any extras that he always sends out to his customers?

Or if he sends you extras should he charge you for them?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one of the first things I learned in the academy was how people hate you to your face but then the same people call you as soon as they need help and you still have to help them. So I am not too concerned about the comments your making. I made a mild cop joke and you went into the psychology of a human brain. I think you forgot a few things however, such as why people form an opinion about someone and name call based on a couple of "reef posts." that can be a couple of things look those up in your text book next time you want to seem like a hot shot

Most cops become dicks based on the fact people mistreat them and complain about how they are bad guys and what not until they need them its a fine line to walk. I think my career choice is based on money, the desire to help people who obey the law and get hurt by people breaking the law. It has very little to do with a power quest as your claiming.

You may want to consider opening up a miss cleo type hotline because of your uncanny ability to figure out a persons whole life based on a few paragraphs of text. I got my free reading but you could probably make a killing :-)

I get it about reefcleaners... he cares more about snails than you. Horrible.

About the "cops being dicks" thing you mentioned... I think you feel slighted that he doesn't want to deal with you. Anger is a natural emotion when you feel ostracized. Your outburst here on NR leads me think you may have narcissistic tendencies, which could explain your need for power and maybe your choice of career. Maybe he doesn't like you. Many more people will dislike you when you become a cop. If you can't deal with rejection by a snail vendor who has a legitimate and non-personal reason for rejecting you, how will you deal with rejection when you're armed with a gun and a nightstick? How are you going to deal with people calling you pig to your face? My personal theory about cops is that most start off as good guys with good intentions, then become dicks. I think you're already a dick - and when you become a cop, you'll be a superdick.

(that's my 35 cents worth)

Justin_Freebords

I just dealt with John from reefcleaners and the guy is easily one of the most customer friendly people I have worked with in my whole time keeping reef tanks.

1st had to do with dry rock. I emailed him before hand to ask a few questions and he responded almost immediately. He listened to my requests about the kind of rock I wanted and sent some really nice looking pieces that made the exact aquascape I wanted (or at least close!) I also asked for no signature required and sure enough the package was at my door when I arrived from work.

2nd time was last week. I live in CA and ordered a bunch of snails. I too had basically the same shipping requirements you wanted.

John informed me that unfortunately I ordered on a bad day and would need to wait until Monday for my shipment because if he shipped on thursday it may get stuck on Sunday and my order would die. I understand that and said ok and made sure to let him know I wanted to signature required.

Over that weekend he emailed all his customers to let us know that due to the holiday on Monday orders wouldnt ship until Tuesday and made sure to let us know he would do w.e it took to make sure we were happy and I think even offered to let us cancel our order for no charge.

The following week he sent me an email, after I asked, with the tracking info for my order and was very quick with his response. I got my order when I expected it, without needing a signature (it was on my porch after work) and he included a handful of extra snails. Not only that but I had maybe 2-5 dead snails out of the ENTIRE batch and they were all tiny. I even got an accidental free hermit crab.

I would recommend John to anyone who needed anything his website offered. Where else can you get all that live stock shipped to your door for cheaper than what most people charge for shipping alone. Sorry you had a bad experience but the guy is a class act and a pleasure to do business with.

I have placed 3 orders with John in about 5 months. AMAZING guy. I even sent him an extra $5 about 10 mins before shipping for some mangroves and he put them in my order and they shipped same day. Oh and when he forgot my bag of pods I had an instant refund and then some. No big deal. I have a feeling the $0.35 missing in the refund was a typo and he meant to send it all to you.

I would and will buy from John again very soon. I also recommended him to 3 other people yesterday because his service is far and above everyone else's.

I'm going to guess the $0.35 is a PayPal fee.

When I originally ordered my CUC, I needed express shipping to hit my availability to catch the package. I had some CUC team members that required overnight delivery, so it worked out. The problem was that I didn't need enough stuff to make the minimum price for overnight delivery. With some back and forth e-mails, I told John that was willing to pay the full price for the shipping despite not hitting the minimum purchase amount or buy extra non-perishable stuff I didn't need just to hit the minimum amount.

Instead, john ate the extra for shipping, didn't sell me anything I didn't need, gave me more snails than I asked for and even tried to refund me when some of them died three weeks after they were in my tank.

John works with his customers to ensure a happy resolution. Somehow, you managed to convince him that a refund was in both of your interest instead of resolve the shipping problems. When you have a complaint and the merchant gives you your money back, you pretty much don't have a complaint any more.

John probably has 50 customers that would gladly give you the $0.35 if that would solve this. I think that says a lot about John, and that you didn't successfully reach a resolution with him before looking to complain publicly says a lot about you.

Oh, and on my second order I did the same thing as Eddie, adding stuff to my order after submission, with absolutely no problems or complaints from John. He really does bend over backwards to provide excellent customer service.

I think my complaint is at the lack of communication more than anything. If he typed half as much as the responders here I would have been all set. I did not get one e-mail from john which was more than 1 sentence. so like i continue to say right from the first post maybe I caught him on an off day. From all the people jumping down my throat defending the guy he has done something right in the past for people. If he is half as good as everyone here is claiming he will resolve this.

You are probably right. He's been having some problems right now. The Army Corps of Engineers and a recent major storm have wreaked havoc on the beaches / reefs where he collects. He's obviously pretty environmentally conscious, but I'm wondering if just maybe he was out of the shop for the day and couldn't reply as quickly as he usually does.

in 65 degree weather here I high doubt it would be a complete loss from a normal 4pm delivery to 8pm getting floated.

So you're demanding respect from John with a follow up email even though you don't give it by publicly bashing him - a typical MO of most cops in my experience..respect demanded when none is due. (Sorry, probably just offended a few reefers there! :) ). You'll make a wonderful cop.

John probably ditched you to avoid all sorts of annoying follow up, attention seeking and complaining emails. Looks like were taking up the slack.. you're welcome, John. BTW, 4 hours outside in 40-50 deg weather (the temps it would be at 9am when delivered) would most likely kill the snails; the heat packs are not that strong.

I'm signing off of this ridiculous rant.

I think my complaint is at the lack of communication more than anything. If he typed half as much as the responders here I would have been all set. I did not get one e-mail from john which was more than 1 sentence. so like i continue to say right from the first post maybe I caught him on an off day. From all the people jumping down my throat defending the guy he has done something right in the past for people. If he is half as good as everyone here is claiming he will resolve this.

What do you want him to say? Is there really a need for more than one or two sentences? "Hey TK, I'm going to refund your money as is best for both of us and the animals." That is about one sentence. Could be broken into two. I don't know what else you really want him to say or do. You want him to send you free snails? Because I'm sure he would.

I was at a hockey game tonight. They were selling $2 beers. I bought 4 beers and 2 hotdogs right away for myself and my wife. Somehow my total came to $29. I paid. Then realized. Then laughed it off and got my money back all but I think $0.55 minus the cost for the beer and food. I didn't make a stink about $0.55. I laughed about it. And realized $0.55 wasn't worth my time standing there waiting for it while my beer got hot and my food cold.

You are probably right. He's been having some problems right now. The Army Corps of Engineers and a recent major storm have wreaked havoc on the beaches / reefs where he collects. He's obviously pretty environmentally conscious, but I'm wondering if just maybe he was out of the shop for the day and couldn't reply as quickly as he usually does.

Thanks for the info. I wish he would have talked to me rather than just refunded me. I would have even taken a shipping date next week to avoid the conflict but once my 2 suggestions didn't work he just sent the refund over and basically was done. I wish we could have worked on the order more. I am sure we will work out the issues and I am still hoping to end up with some snails for my nano by the weekend or early next week at worst!

If he is half as good as everyone here is claiming he will resolve this.

Resolve what? You missed out on pocket change, move on.

What do you want him to say? Is there really a need for more than one or two sentences? "Hey TK, I'm going to refund your money as is best for both of us and the animals." That is about one sentence. Could be broken into two. I don't know what else you really want him to say or do. You want him to send you free snails? Because I'm sure he would.

I was at a hockey game tonight. They were selling $2 beers. I bought 4 beers and 2 hotdogs right away for myself and my wife. Somehow my total came to $29. I paid. Then realized. Then laughed it off and got my money back all but I think $0.55 minus the cost for the beer and food. I didn't make a stink about $0.55. I laughed about it. And realized $0.55 wasn't worth my time standing there waiting for it while my beer got hot and my food cold.

i guess maybe offering me a shipping date next week or why he would offer on the website to ship without signature required and then deny me that when I asked is what I was looking for on top of that sentence.

If you have money to toss around I envy you sir. I do not. don't forget most of America right now lives paycheck to paycheck or worse. to some people 25cents could break the budget. granted .35 cents to me is not the end of the world by any means I just wish john and I could have worked harder on making this work for me.

Resolve what? You missed out on pocket change, move on.

I bet if walmart ripped you off "pocket change" you'd have a different attitude? To me change is change and I don't care who is taking it. I work very hard for what little money i earn 35 cents isn't going to kill me but if i lost 35 cents on every purchase I made I would be broke very quickly.

I usually make out better in the end so I don't sweat the small stuff. About 3 years ago I'd be doing what you are but I've changed my attitude and view on life and have realized I'm gonna live a lot longer, happier life.

Hello all, my name is Sam and I have been lurking about this site for 2 weeks or so. I felt compelled to post in response to this, since I totally understand being bothered by things base on principle.

I am in the process of starting my first nano reef. I had intended (actually I still do) to purchase a CUC through reefcleaners. I want to thank you for your post because it prompted me to do two things that I should have done anyway. 1) read reefcleaners terms of service and 2) check them out on the better business bureau. I did not see anywhere in the TOS that suggested a fee would be levied for a refund, especially one that was not requested. Did the receipt define what the fee was for? Fees that are not explained can be one of the most aggravating things that exist, however the BBB relieved any hesitation I would have had buying through reefcleaners

I did not see anywhere in the TOS that suggested a fee would be levied for a refund, especially one that was not requested. Did the receipt define what the fee was for?

What are you a lawyer? Don't get me started...

I'm still agreeing with whoever wrote it above. Probably a typo in PayPal. DID YOU ASK BOUT IT BEFORE STARTING THIS THREAD? That small bit of information decides whether most of us will side on you for principle, or tell you to suck it up.

What are you a lawyer? Don't get me started...

I'm just asking, since if you were to bother with a TOS page it seems like the kind of thing that you would include in it. I mean stores that have say, restocking fees usually tell you about it.

If it is paypal related then IDK, i have never used paypal.

I just couldn't justify this much time spent on getting my 35 cents back. I mean, c'mon already. I'd be glad I got money back at all for a few measly crabs.

Sorry to hear of the problems. We don't ship Priority on Thursdays, it has a 50% chance of sitting out and dying over the weekend. Since we weren't able to get a day that was safe for the livestock we issued a full refund. I am sorry you think we took $.35 out of that, but we haven't. You have to look at the total amount of the refund. :

Original Transaction

Date Type Status Details Gross Fee Net

Oct 16, 2012 Payment From [redacted] Refunded

You have refunded this payment in full.

Details $15.71 USD -$0.65 USD $15.06 USD

Related Transaction

Oct 16, 2012 Refund Completed ... -$15.71 USD $0.35 USD -$15.36 USD

Sent to:

[Redacted]

Total amount:

-$15.71 USD

Fee amount:

$0.35 USD

Net amount:

-$15.36 USD

Invoice ID:

[redacted]

Date:

Oct 16, 2012

Time:

17:11:31 PDT

Completed

(bold added for the right nummber - I realize it is a mess to read but the format broke)

You demanded our copy of the refund, that is how it looks for us, it shows the credit card fee we were charged to take the payment. $.35 Check your bank account after it has posted, it has only been since last night, the banks havent reopened yet so it will take some time to show up on your side. When it does it will have the full $15.71. The net amount is -$15.36 at paypal, and plus $.35 the charge they waive. ($.30 of it they will not waive, that is where the $.65 at the top comes in).

Unless he was a dick and made fun of your cat or something stupid like that, just eat the 35 cents and let by gones be by gones.

OMG...that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time patback!

I have lost count of the # of times I have ordered from John Maloney. I've had an order here and there go awry but John always steps up and makes it right even if I didn't expect it or ask for it. I respect him, and he obviously respects his customers and his animals.

Johns explanation above should suffice to help you move on from this issue OP.

But should you feel your world has ended, I'll gladly paypal you $0.35 to make you go away.

You've just been Maloneyed...

Sorry to hear of the problems. We don't ship Priority on Thursdays, it has a 50% chance of sitting out and dying over the weekend. Since we weren't able to get a day that was safe for the livestock we issued a full refund. I am sorry you think we took $.35 out of that, but we haven't. You have to look at the total amount of the refund. :

Original Transaction

Oct 16, 2012 Payment From [redacted] Refunded

Details $15.71 USD -$0.65 USD $15.06 USD

Related Transaction

Oct 16, 2012 Refund Completed ... -$15.71 USD $0.35 USD -$15.36 USD

Sent to:

[Redacted]

Total amount:

-$15.71 USD

Fee amount:

$0.35 USD

Net amount:

-$15.36 USD

Invoice ID:

[redacted]

Date:

Oct 16, 2012

Time:

17:11:31 PDT

Completed

(bold added for the right nummber - I realize it is a mess to read but the format broke)

You demanded our copy of the refund, that is how it looks for us, it shows the credit card fee we were charged to take the payment. $.35 Check your bank account after it has posted, it has only been since last night, the banks havent reopened yet so it will take some time to show up on your side. When it does it will have the full $15.71. The net amount is -$15.36 at paypal, and plus $.35 the charge they waive. ($.30 of it they will not waive, that is where the $.65 at the top comes in).

Archived