Coral Vue Hydros

Few days off so 2.5 is born

glazer

Rewards come to those who are patient....

show proper care, technique and husbandry.

Welcome to the Upper Eschelon.....

JEDI Glazer.

> -Darthbetta.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
printerdown01

OMG ! How have I missed this thread!?!?! I saw it when it first started, and I read the book worm lights thing, but after that I stopped reading it... Boy was that a mistake!! This is THE most beautiful Pico I have ever seen!! The amount of life you have packed in there is increadible! Everything looks FANTASTIC!! Congrads!! Thank you Chris for spotlighting this one, Glazer certainly deserves the recognition for this little guy !!!

glazer,

I can't seem to find the SeaLab No. 28 blocks anywhere. Can you point me to an online source? or alternative?

Edited - Just found them online. They recommend for the first week to use 1 per 50 gallons of water and then 3-4 per 50 gallons. Do you use a whole block?

Thanks printer and ross! And thank you Dave... funny your chosen method of conveyance... Halloween party this year, what did I go as... why Darth "Mullet" of course.

Glad ya found the blocks ben... I just buy mine at a LFS. The little "instructions" if you will inside the container... the only thing they say about amount to use is , *QUOTE* Dosage: IS NOT CRITICAL but two to three nuggets for each 10 gallons of water volume is recommended.

I was cutting a block in half but they shattered alot so I just said screw it and throw in a whole one. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to disappear. You just have to keep them out of areas with high flow rate so they don't dissolve too quickly. Another member on here was telling me he throws a couple of the blocks into his RO topoff water.... um, I think I'll just stick to throwin' them in the tank.

Hi glazer, I am new here at nano reef and the setup of your reef tank is beautiful. I have salt water fish at home, but I always want to have a reef tank. It seems like your reef tank will be an ideal setup for me. Would you please let me know what kind of filter are you using? I do have a small submersable filter with power head attached. Do you think that it may work? Is there some special elements need to add into the water? Cause, I know that reef tank requires more delicate water condition than salt water fish tank.

Thanks.

hi water, thank you and welcome to the board!

I take it you are talking about one of those Duetto filters maybe?

I think that would prolly work great... about the ONLY concern I would have is how much space they take up inside the tank... realty is definitely a premium in such small tanks. I have an AquaClear mini filter hanging on the back, no media in it at all, just used for circulation. I have thrown a tiny bit of carbon in it from time to time just to put a little "polish" on the water.

As I was saying before... I usually stay away from any additives in such small tanks... just let water changes make up for any lost trace elements and such. I have been using the SeaLab blocks in this tank though since setting it up. Supposedly all the additives you need and time-released.

Just make sure you do regular frequent small water changes and DO get some type of top of system setup and you should do fine.

Good luck with your tank and post some pics when you get it going!

Glazer,

Thank you for all the valuable information. What kind of the food should I feed to the coral? I know that those aquarium shops would recommend me to buy all different liquid food with different fancy names on them. Is there any coral food that you would recommend? I am really rather to do it right at the first time than trying different thing and then finally killing the coral.

Thanks.

Do you just use your LR and LS for a filter? Im getting a 75 and therefore a 2.5 for my bedroom will not be much more money considering i will have all the kits and water etc... My only costs will be a base and a hood and lights and heater and a small power head. That is so cool. My mom will probably want one for the kitchen once it looks good MTS!! (multiple tank syndrome)

Did some research for some of you guys and found something I know you may like if you cannot find these lights!

http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/60014.htm

A pretty penny but thats what he has just a little cooler color!

hey water... I only feed the tank once a week... just use a tiny bit of Marine Snow and some DT's... I do a water change every Sat so Friday I put a very VERY small pinch of OSI marine flakes in the tank to feed the critters.

And Dustin... filtration is the rock and sand only, HOB filter just used for circulation... do add a bit of carbon,hmmm maybe once a month? for a couple of days to "polish" the water a bit.

anyone setting up a 2.5 gallon tank should consider a 27 watt quad CF setup. I don't know the exact measurments of the tank, but it should fit with room to spare.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice..did you ever hook up a fuge to that little beast? I have a 10g nano with an 8g fuge (gravity fed)..I am thinking of branching a 2.5g off of that...also, how can I get the hook up for a frag of that Yellow Leather? I have some nice flourescent orange zoos I would trade.

Boy, it has been quite a while since I last had a chance to look at this site. Missed reading all the threads and lots of new names I don't recognize anymore! DOH!

Glazer, that is one fine setup you have. I have a 7 Gal. All-Glass bow front setup at work and I love it but it is not exactly easy to move this tank fully loaded when there is a change at the office and people get moved around! I hope nobody here has had to go through that and try to carefully muscle around 125 pounds of a fragile reef tank and not spill a drop. Not fun ;)

So I think I will try and put a 2.5 together (though I don't think the canopy will compare to the fine work Glazer has done) and move the 7 gal. home.

What I would like to really find however is a good diagram with walkthrough instructions on setting up some kind of RO top-off system. Anybody have something like this already? I have just been doing it manually for months on the 7 gal. and I am sick of it.

Thanks for the tank pics Glazer. Keep 'em comin!

I checked, and it will actually hold two 27 watt quads, that's over 20 watts per gallon. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, hadn't checked for awhile, more posts!,hehe TG, I think I remember Dave saying something about 2 of the quads on a 2.5 after he mutilated one of the reflectors to fit it in.... man, that would be hella-serious light for such a small tank... beyond me though how you could keep the tank from boiling over! We run the AC most the summer and believe me, 2 13's were causing heat issues if the room temp got over 75.

Nice..did you ever hook up a fuge to that little beast? I have a 10g nano with an 8g fuge (gravity fed)..I am thinking of branching a 2.5g off of that...also, how can I get the hook up for a frag of that Yellow Leather? I have some nice flourescent orange zoos I would trade.
Nope, no 'fuge... thought about it, there is some space under the tank but I just can't be bothered with the plumbing nitemare... besides tank is doing great as it is... very stable,good readings... a 'fuge would prolly go and mess it all up!...lol Well as far as the yellow goes... I fragged the momma into five pieces and traded/sold them off to area reefers... I kept one for me but it's not looking to hot. If it comes back and starts growin' good I'll definitely hook ya up... the yellow in the 2.5 is doing great... not sure I wanna try cutting it up though... maybe in another month or so, by then it will prolly have taken over,hehe.

And minigeek, thanks for the compliments... great little tank to have at work.... I think it's safe to say that the overwhelming interest (well seems overwhelming to me) in this little tank has inspired quite a few people to set them up...especially at work. I think that is soooo cool! Did you happen to check out OxInYourBox's thread on his 2.5?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...=&threadid=4512

Great little top-off setup he has using one of Camerons float switches and a HOB filter. Good luck with your 2.5, post some pics!

You beat me to the punch glazer :) You tank is awesome as always man. I don't think I'll ever get mine looking as good as yours...

minigeek-I have 3 of Cameron's (Physh1) switches and all are awesome. If you have any questions about setting up one PM me and I'll be glad to help you as will most other members on this forum.

Thanks for the help on that guys. After reading a couple of other threads, I am going to setup a top-off on all of my tanks! I have a 55 FOFW and a 30 FOFW at home along with my 7 gal SW and soon to be cooked up 2.5 gal! I clearly have MTS developing...Multi-tank syndrome wahhahahah

Hope my wife doesn't mind another tank (most likely not the last either).

I have forgotten just how much I love this site and the forums here. I need to check back a lot more often!

Keep an eye out for a new thread with my 7 gal. which is currently suffering it's first alge breakout (diatom maybe?). Not too pretty right now...

Just some pics from last nite..... couldn't sleep so stared at the tank(s),hehe. (must of been the burritos...:x )

Mellow yellow....

• 2 weeks later...

By the way... if you can see on the pics of the yellow.... a decent sized section/lobe has been dropping and it's pinching off more and more everyday. Ah, I'm gonna be a daddy.:rolleyes:B)

Beautiful tank glazer!

I'm working on setting up a 10 gal nano. I have a 55watt 6500k PC light for it and those Book Worms would be great to add some actinic light. I looked for them today at HD and Lowes - no luck. I did find a RiteLite clamp on shop light that is just like what you pictured only with yellow end caps and $20 each. Do you know the company that markets the Book Worms and where they are located? Perhap they could point me to a local or mail order source. I checked Menards website and they have no online shopping options.

Thanks for the heads up on these - they look like a great find.

Dave

hey cone,

Thank you by the way :)

The lite you are talking about I believe is made by the same company... Bayco. If you look early on in this thread I posted the company info, well what info I had about them. Also if you look in the DIY section there is a post there that Chris put up about them along with a link to an online retailer that sells them. I'm seeing these style lights popping up in lots of different places now.... Ace Hardware, Lowes and one of the Home Depot's by me all had the worklights and I have seen the Bookworms at a few stores in malls now.

Archived