ReefCleaners.org

Few days off so 2.5 is born

glazer

That's very beautiful glazer! The zoos are very pretty. I'm thinking of doing a 2 gallon hex with just zoos and ricordias.

I can't find those boingy lights here. I checked Home Depot and Lowe's, no luck.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone... tank sits here on my desk and i love staring into it. I have a couple of real small astreas in there and a couple of blue legs as well.... fun watching the hermits "scale" the wall. I wanna get a tad more movement in there so am on the lookout for a really small shrimp. Anybody have or had a "sexy shrimp",sorry only know them by the common name.

I have been getting a few pm's and inquiries about the lights. I got them at Menards... big chain home improvement store in case ya haven't heard of them. I stopped there tonight after work and they were all gone, they had them on closeout for 9.99 The only info I can give you on them is they are made by a company called Bayco located in Dallas, TX. They have no website listed on the box or warranty card. When doing a search on the internet I was rather alarmed to see they had a recall on a worklight they make that has a similiar design, a metal screw holding the the thing together apparently can contact a wire inside the unit..ZZZZZZAAAAAAAPPPP, hehe The bookworm lights fortunately do not have this design, whew! Remember these are only 13 watt lights... so if ya still wanna try and track them down the phone number for Bayco is 800 655 8996 . Maybe they could tell you a retailer in your area. The bulbs had no K color listed on them but I did check the #'s out on GE bulbs and found out they are 6400K. I replaced them with a 10,000K and an actinic but guess I got a couple extra bulbs for my 'fuge now.

(scubadiver, I sent you a pm a week or so ago... if yer still interested, yes, I will )

You should think about selling custom units and selling them online. or even making kits. It's really a spiff job, and a lot of people would love to have somthing similar. If you could build a sump below it or behind it then it would RULE!

I found the lights at Lowes in NC. They are being sold at $20 a pop and are in the portable outside lighting section. Here's a picture in case anyone wants to see the packaging.

Lights.JPG

I went thru every Lowes and Home Depot I was in looking for these lights and I happened to walk down the aisle and spotted them in two different places. The bulbs are 6500K.

printerdown01

The tank looks awesome... It gave me some ideas for another tank I have in my little brain right now (still trying to find a cheap way to get my girlfriend a tank). Could you post some serious pics of the cannopy? I know this seems like a strange request... but I think we are all impressed with it!!!

**sexy shrimp are GREAT!!! I want the sooo badly that I can't stand it! Unfortuanatly I'm affraid that they would turn into a $20 treat for my clown!!! Apparently they are't that hard to keep. They eat tiny bits of food (obviously since they are teeny tiny shrimp). I think they have some of the coolest antics I have ever seen... Especially the flicking of their raised tail! I would support anyone getting these, and have tried to talk many people into them since I can't keep them myself... If you get them let me know, I'll drive 1/2 way across the country to sit in your living room and watch the little guys! ;) JK. but I do REALLY like them!

Glazer,

Dang, I got to this thread a little late I guess. Better late than never though right!? GREAT job on your tank and custom hood/base. Your little reef is already looking beautiful!

Good work and keep us updated man,

Gil

Hey Ox found the lights! I guess I was in the right place at the right time... I got mine for 10 bucks a pop. Lights have been working great and I can't believe the interest in them...lol Saw a whole thread on another BB just about these lights, well MY lights to be specific.

Thanks everyone for all the nice words... :) Printer, I'll be happy to take some "serious" pics of the hood for ya, just give me a couple of days, the wife is out of town on biz and has my camera with her. I'll try to take some pics that show the construction on it as best as possible.... it might not do any good though to give you exact dimensions on all the pieces though. I milled all the pieces out of a single block of mahogany... like the sides and front are 11/16" instead of standard 3/4" like you find at the lumber yard. The top piece is 1/2" and set into a rabbit, bottom trim is 1/2" thick as well... attached to 3/4" plywood. As far as the CAD thing... I didn't even OWN a 'puter till three years ago, I am "old timing man" ya know... lol The last and ONLY thing I have ever built from plans was a house 20 years ago... everthing else from garages to furniture has been nothing more than scribbles on bar napkins and in notebooks, hehe. What size tank are you talking for your girlfriend? A 2.5 gallon? Xmas will be here soon(hint hint) I could build you a setup just like it if ya want, cash or frags?

The sexy shrimp!!! I tracked some down at an LFS here so going to go check them out... they are soooo cool!

ahaha, now i know why they call them sexy shrimp, very intriguing.

Excerpt from Petwarehouse

The Sexy Anemone Shrimp is a fascinating shrimp that exhibits an unusual trait of swaying its abdomen back and forth, hence the name Sexy shrimp.

Upon the first time Mrs. glazer witnessed sexy shrimp...

Mrs. g.... "Do they ALWAYS walk around with thier little shrimpy butts in the air?"

LFS employee.... "Yes ma'am! They're seeeeexy shrimp"

I guess you had to be there... ah that good 'ol "aquatic humor" *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry took so long to get the pics... the SERIOUS pics!...lol

Okay, top piece is 1/2" stock set into rabbet , yes it's real wood, see the worm holes? Hey it was chunk of wood thrown in the dumpster!

Here's the underside, black clips are what holds the Bookworm lights in place... you can see on the edge the rabbit that covers black plastic trim on tank top.

Well here's and update on the tank as it is today... I had to remove the yellow leather, it was fragged off one of the largest ones I have ever seen. Problem is when fraggin and the mother was shrunk I thought it was a pretty small piece that got cut off. Well once the new baby recovered and puffed back up... well it took up HALF the tank!...lol I moved it to another tank and after awhile I may try again with a much smaller piece. I have replaced it with some assorted zoo's. I dunno, kind of miss having a big center piece, but I like the zoos too... lol

Thanks NN.... great therapy, I have to pay so much attention to detail on the small pieces... detail as in not taking a finger off!...lol, that everything else just goes away.

Somebody was wondering about the hydnophoria (sp) and how it would hold up under my lighting... well here it is over a month older. Not sure the pic does it justice, in person it is just as neon green, maybe even more so as the day it went it. I see it everyday so hard to judge on the growth factor... I think it looks larger but the color is definitely STILL there.

Dude, this is a cool tank, I am wanting a 2.5g now! :P I wonder if I would round the reflectors on some of my other lights, would it focus the light like yours do? like, its the roundedness that does that?

speaking of shrimp: one LFS has these tiny bottles that are sealed, and they have macro algae, and these TINY red shrimp in them. They are maybe 1/2 an inch big. The bottles are $20 or so, and some have like 3 shrimp in them. Hmm....:

tell me more about the dendronepthea! i love them sooooooooo much, but they are just so difficult to care for, at least thats what i heard. whered you get a frag of it my lfs has a pretty big piece for 90 bucks.

Archived