inTank Media Baskets

Few days off so 2.5 is born

glazer

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Well I loved the look of the yellow leather I had originally but it was just way too large when it opened up all the way, soooooo missing what I thought "made" the tank I decided to try again. This time I cut a much much smaller piece off, think this time I got it...lol

Update on the hydnophora... well according to my frag guru, it is commonly placed into that family by most LFS's and hobbyists. What I have is NOT a hydno though but instead in called a *big breath*, Paraclavarina triangularis. Interesting as well is that it is also NOT an SPS species but instead an LPS. Well whatever, I think it's SWEET!

I spoe I could say nice hood, but then that would be fluffing the competition...LOL the tank is comming along nicely. Im looking fer those lights to use on a few small tanks. so far its a big nope on some one who carries them.

when are you going to add a frag of Bryopsiss? :P I hear Chris Marks has some.....

oh hey, thanks fer the compliment(s) Dave (fluffing? you? come on, NOT!...lol )

If anyone needs any bryopsis frags hey just shout, I got a REAL healthy momma colony er colonies going on in my "propagration" tank... just got done "fraggin" some tonite actually. Now if I can just catch that one snail that looks like cousin IT.... hehehe

I'll trade ANYONE frags of the stuff for let's see, any back issues of FAMA, TFH or of course Heavy Hangers (pages must be functional!) and this includes free, YES FREE global shipping! ;)

Oh, was just in the Menards here in town the other day and they had more of the Bookworm lights in stock... not on sale anymore though... they were like 14 bucks a pop, I got lucky and picked mine up fer 10 though. If you really want one/some I could pick them up for you, would just charge you only what the lights cost and then whatever the price of shipping would be. Dunno, ahsupply is looking prolly pretty good at this point. Let me know though if ya want some.

Hey John,

Not exactly sure or the EXACT species of the coral... the original piece was sold to me as a Nephthea Tree Coral. According to the guys over at LiveAquaria it's a BIG family and there are lots of sub-species so is kinda hard to identify exact pieces unless you are of course a marine bioligist,hehe. I have fragged the mother colony twice now... I have the original in my 5.5 almost six months now, it is under 2x32 PC's and is growing well.. I feed the only tank once a week some DT's and Marine Snow, shooting a little bit of it directly ON the Neph. The little piece in my 2.5, same thing as far as feeding and it's doing really well too... Soooo, not sure of the "hard to care of factor".

As far as water changes go. I do that once a week and change out 900 ml. I have a beaker I use and is marked in ml's but I think that is about a quart. Top off is done with an IV drip setup. As far as additives... this tank was my experiment with something new to me. I normally don't like anything to the tiny tanks... just let water changes make up for trace elements and such but on this one I have been using the SeaLab No. 28 blocks. They have been doing a great job it would seem. Keeps my calc and alk in good shape... the coralline took off WAY faster than I have seen in the past in other tanks... I had some growing on the back wall and bottom sides in two weeks after starting it. All the corals have great extension to them and definitely appear to be showing more growth to them then some of the same types in other tanks.

I am setting up a 25 gallon SPS tank currently and I am going to use the blocks in that tank as well as see how it goes. I am very interested in seeing how they handle a the alk/calc balance on a more demanding tank.

I snipped a teeny tiny piece of this off (this is in my 5.5) and place it in the 2.5, is at the very top of the "rock pile" hehe.

As far as I know is another species of tree coral.. seen it called a brocolli coral as well as seeing it called Nephthea too...

Do you have a link to a photo of the coral you are talking about John? I'd like to see it and compare against what I have.

that's a great looking dendro! (looks like one to me) your tank's gorgeous, i love the big polyps upfront. nice coral placement, very picturesque. B)

I think they were discontinued, but you can get similar types. the ones he has are called "book worms." the manufacturer is Bayco. they come with everything you will need, exept you might want as diferent bulb.

• 2 weeks later...

glazer,

Wow, your tank has really come along in the last couple of months.... Very nice indeed. Just thought I would make mention of the fact... :D

Gil

hey tg... the Bookworms are alive and well. The Menards here in town has a whole new load of them, I was at home in Iowa a few days back and the Lowes there had 'em and I was just at a bookstore tonite and DUH! the bookstore had 'em...go figure,lol

Thanks jt48... hmmm, yer really a cop? Maybe I should say I wish you were MY neighbor too...lol Maybe you can keep the locals off of me, I'm payin' down the tickets ya know,but got to keep my truck hidden till I get below the "bootable" limit,hehehe Maybe you need another canopy? (er, that's not like a bribe kinda thing is it?)

Aaaaaaand, thanks much Gilman. I love this little tank... been staring at it now for like 1/2 hour, I got this really cool little rock with about six or seven awesome blue shrooms on it I would love to put in there but good gawd, I can't find any space in there whatsoever to put it!.....lol

Actualy, not to bust yer nuts, but its a Lithophyton aboreum.

they are in the Leather family not a true softie... I have some i propigated a while nack and a buddy still has a few. WATCH THEM VERY CAREFULLY ! they are prone to slagging . They will have patches of sloughing sort of a milky white area. when they do this, frag the hell out of it. ;) Superglue can sometimes work to afix them to rocks, other wise use Veil Lace as a hold down net.

Christopher Marks
Originally posted by Korbin

I vote that a photo of this tank should be on the nano-reef homepage as tank of the week/month/year/whatever.

I agree! Your nano is simply amazing Glazer!

By the way, people who are still looking for those bookworm lights, here's a store that will ship them: http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/60014.htm $20

Hey all,

In case any of you in so cal are looking for the same lights I saw them at Lowes under the name Rite Lite with a 13w 6500K PC bulb in it. It was 19.99 in the same exact case.

Hth,

Vince

Wow!! How cool is that! I'm very flattered. Thanks to everyone for the kind words and compliments and thank YOU very much Mr. Marks.... I truly appreciate it.

Having this tank setting right here on my desk has been great, I have spent countless hours staring into it. I have an extremely stressful and demanding job so it's nice to kind of lose myself in it for awhile... what amazes me is that I CAN get lost in it, all two and one half gallons of it so often and for so long! ( taking me forever to type this even cuz I keep looking over at the xenia pumping away and the yellow leather that seemingly WON'T stop growing!....lol)

Thanks again Chris, and especially thank you for having this site available for all of us, I truly enjoy it.

Steve (aka. glazer)

Archived