Top Shelf Aquatics

Simplicity... llj's Fluval Spec

lljdma06

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, neither my or the tank's birthday. Tank just turned 7 months. It'll be a year old in August. My birthdays' in October.

No new additions though I will post some videos of some of my critters soon. Nothing fancy. I also have to glue the last gorg & a zoa frag that dislodged & do a water change today.

L

August is a good month to be in! Im also a Leo! 7th to be exact..Picked up some coral still waii g on a gorg & dandro then ill be set , will wai for everything to grow in

Random picture fun time! :D

No! I don't have two emerald crabs! My one crab molted. I did do a double take, I don't lie about these things. I still get fooled by sheds.

6BADD6B2-C0DB-4AA0-909A-2CDCA75E2452-568

Mr. Fathead peeks... He's been doing pretty well. Still very picky about food, but at least I know he eats.

7C3AA90E-E32A-429A-8F21-8B17661F07EA-568

Blastos! :D

550895E4-6516-4027-9E33-5985ECD39886-568

Gorgs feeding. It's really very cool to watch them catch particles. My favorite LFS had both Swiftia exserta and a blue Acalycigorgia today. Took every fiber of my being to resist the temptation. Maybe when the tank reaches a year and I'm fragging the diodogorgia again, I'll reward myself with a frag of the Swiftia. Better to keep things as is and just enjoy. I'm pretty happy I had to frag the gorg in the first place.

E368A025-DF17-4840-B9C4-1183562C12D5-568

Golden coral banded shrimp making an appearance I like this shrimp. Very cool. Different. You know, really nice for corals. A lot less bumbling than skunks.

12F6C425-B8CB-42BA-BDBA-6D61DBEE492B-568

Video of him getting food.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e283/lljdma06/Fluval%20Spec/BC4D43A2-5409-4C03-81EE-ED22D98D07EB-5685-00000992D2F91A6C_zps46d5ea65.mp4'>th_BC4D43A2-5409-4C03-81EE-ED22D98D07EB-

My cowrie. I've had him for over a year. Great little scavenger.

E497445B-C784-4DC4-B448-BA6A59DB8235-568

I did get something today. I needed a banded trochus. I really like the snail and these ones that my LFS gets are from ORA and they do really well. I call him the suckanator... Also gorg pretty. :D

57FA1A5F-4D24-48DB-B589-0A42301ED8E1-568

Yep, that's all I got, a trochus. I also did a water change. Will do another Saturday.

Thanks for looking,

L

awesome pics!!!! again, your gorg is GORGEOUS! and that emerald shed looks like you do have two emeralds!!!! wow.

Thanks, the emerald crab is awesome, but a bit of a klutz. He knocked down one of the gorgs, so I'll have to find a rock tonight and glue it in place. There's also a zoa frag that's been knocked loose too. LOL

On the plus side, the Trochus is doing a bang up job and the emerald crab is doing his part to keep that lovely red algae not such a nuisance. There is a small favia in my fiance's tank that I'm eyeing for this one, also a couple of zoas. He hasn't mounted them yet and I feel like playing with glue tonight. I have a performance of Mozart's Requiem on Sunday with a first rehearsal tomorrow (alto soloist, go me!), so I feel like chilling with a glass of wine, listening to some Mozart and doing some gluing.

I also have to make SW for next week's round of water changes.

I forgot to post here a fts from the last group of peeeeeechurs, sorry. Here it is.

Lol, it's the gorg on the left that decided to take a trip to the sand bed.

4AF0051D-365D-4E56-88EB-EFB1603306FC-568

Thanks for looking,

L

Top pic looks even better then before pics. On flow is it a bigger pump? Im trying to find a gorg to be coo like you but those little critters are hard to find.

Looks great. Still have the same light?

Thanks. Yes, I do have the same light. It's done well for me so far. There was a light in Amazon that I liked too. Was thinking about it for the future.

http://www.amazon.com/Wave-point-6-Inch-8-Watt-Daylight-Output/dp/B007ZK80YG/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

When I have more funds and can experiment a bit, I'll give either this or the 8W innovative Marine a shot. I have two other Specs, so I'd love to experiment with the lighting possibilities in these tanks. Sorry, I'm not a fan of the Par 38s, not for a tank this size. IMO, it's overkill.

Top pic looks even better then before pics. On flow is it a bigger pump? Im trying to find a gorg to be coo like you but those little critters are hard to find.

I have two pumps. One is the standard pump for the Spec, the other is an extra 40gph pump I had for a in tank refugium I had purchased last year for my 36g.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/15650416734290063125?q=in%20tank%20refugium&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS522US522&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44158598,d.eWU&biw=1920&bih=971&sa=X&ei=CP1NUfLqF4fS9ATe3YHQCw&ved=0CFQQ8wIwAA

I'm at an advantage in the gorg department. They are a local species. :)

Ok, enough chitchat, time to go get vitamins and stuff for this tank!

L

Another one of my friends looked at that light. I kinda like the look of it but just not sure how it would look on the tank.

Another one of my friends looked at that light. I kinda like the look of it but just not sure how it would look on the tank.

Yeah, that's my only concern too. I love the look of the 4w innovative marine. It really, IMO, fits the aesthetic of the Spec. The only problem is that while I have plenty of light in general and a beautiful white balance (the colors in my tank are quite good), I find the blue at night a bit lacking. If it were me, I'd keep the blue white ratio during the day and add another watt of blue at night. Then you get the neon colors that everybody loves. I get them, but not very strongly. The light has 3 watts of white, but only 2 1/2 watts of blues. If they added 2 more 1/2 watts of blues, it'd be great. Well, it's a small quibble really. Otherwise, I'm quite satisfied with it.

L

Nice tank - you need to hook me up with one of those dendros!

Thank you. Dendros are hard to get a hold of. At least in Miami. Expensive too.

Ok, so tank doesn't look like the above anymore. One of my dendros fell. I used older glue and it didn't stick well, so I have to reglue it. I also have in there a small favia, and some more zoas. I'll have to glue tonight. Man! Just when I thought all this gluing was done! Poopy pants!

L

Time

For more wine;)

The funny thing is you can get gorgs all day, wine! Is a daily talk here since i live in wine country.

Time For more wine;) The funny thing is you can get gorgs all day, wine! Is a daily talk here since i live in wine country.

Where in wine country?

I wouldn't say every day, but it was cool having a choice between several species. I was so tempted to take the Swiftia and the blueberry gorg, but decided not to.

Wine and coffee, probably the two greatest inventions of mankind. Well, maybe the wheel and the telephone, but who cares about those things? :)

Where in wine country?I wouldn't say every day, but it was cool having a choice between several species. I was so tempted to take the Swiftia and the blueberry gorg, but decided not to.Wine and coffee, probably the two greatest inventions of mankind. Well, maybe the wheel and the telephone, but who cares about those things? :)
I had my lfs order me a blueberry gorg six months ago... Im still waiting. I live in Paso de los Robles its another Napa Valley ,Every one has a vineyard here.

I had my lfs order me a blueberry gorg six months ago... Im still waiting. I live in Paso de los Robles its another Napa Valley ,Every one has a vineyard here.

Ok, gonna ask, do you have one? :D In which case, forget Kat and her parties, haha, next Nanoreef party is in wine country! :happydance:

No offense to MetroKat, heck, she'd probably come along too!

Still haven't glued the coral yet, but I must, the dendro has slipped further and is now rather close to my mushroom. That's bad news if they touch. Meh, off to glue. time for wine...

L

Ok, gonna ask, do you have one? :D In which case, forget Kat and her parties, haha, next Nanoreef party is in wine country! :happydance:

No offense to MetroKat, heck, she'd probably come along too!

Still haven't glued the coral yet, but I must, the dendro has slipped further and is now rather close to my mushroom. That's bad news if they touch. Meh, off to glue. time for wine...

L

Personaly I dont drink wine I have enough bottles to keep me alive for life. My property isnt big enough to make it worth the hard work of maintaining grapes, headaches and dirty finger nails ... Ill pass:). I do harvest my own fruits and vegies tho.

Nano party! Im in .My deck is big enough for plenty of people.2 koi ponds (working on a 3rd) 7 dogs one macaw and 4 tanks is enough to keep every one b-z

Personaly I dont drink wine I have enough bottles to keep me alive for life. My property isnt big enough to make it worth the hard work of maintaining grapes, headaches and dirty finger nails ... Ill pass:). I do harvest my own fruits and vegies tho. Nano party! Im in .My deck is big enough for plenty of people.2 koi ponds (working on a 3rd) 7 dogs one macaw and 4 tanks is enough to keep every one b-z

LOL, that's fine. My dad collected red wine but passed away before he could sit and enjoy it. It's now my job to enjoy it for him.

We grew veggies in Chicago and Washington state, not in Miami though. Too hot.

Ok, I did the gluing and now I have a tank full of very pi**ed off coral. I'm also finding the Coraffix not nearly as effective as it's been in the past. I had to use way more. Granted, I really suck at gluing corals, but this is bad, even for me.

I did the following...

Reglued the eagle eyes and the red hornets to get more light. Moved the dendro down. Moved the gorgs, but I'm not satisfied, so they'll probably be moved again (lol, this is being done as I've typed, can't resist the urge...). They're attached to rocks that act as weights, so, they are very easy to shift about. I think I'll switch the gorgs towards the back (gonna do this right now...). I like the gorg in the front.

I added a green favia frag that almost died in my 36g and the sad remnants of my larger God of War colony. This was the victim of the past few months of family drama. Hospitals, almost losing my mom, family drama, etc. I lost almost all my polyps in Colony A, past 40 polyps. Colony B is still going strong with 18 polyps, so I've not had a complete loss, since I only started with a colony of 4 (colony A) and a single polyp (Colony B ). I'm down to maybe 5 possibly viable baby polyps in colony A, former shades of themselves. We'll see, I don't think they'll survive, but they're in a nutrient rich, clean tank with good lights, so you never know. The loss of Colony A was very sad. My favorite coral. In its prime, it was glorious.

87F640EC-9360-4A73-9E99-112CC19A0EE2-942

86426A19-F7AA-4F0C-857A-18BF62C5EFA2-942

On the positive, my red hornets have been looking more robust since I glued them and I gained two new polyps on a paly my fiance gave me and that frag was pretty sad when he gave it to me, so again, you never know. Also, the favia seems to like being in my tank a lot. He gets puffy and happy and I already see tissue regrowth.

See how anal I am? I'm back. Moved the gorgs. I'm happier for now. Now, I just pray that glue doesn't become undone so I can leave the tank alone for the next few months. Just maintenance, but no coral touching or messing with the tank. I don't plan on adding to the livestock at this time.

900A286F-4D71-4DF6-B288-C84B3D65DD54-942

When the tank settles & shows growth in the coral, I'll see what I'll do. I lost the other scarlet hermit. Probably the coral banded, so I may just leave the emerald, the coral banded, the cowrie, & the trochus as the CUC. I have ceriths & stomatellas too. Actually since the hermits are gone, the stomatellas have increased in population.

L

Of course something always falls down. Stupid glue... :furious: One of the baby god of wars, no clue where it fell since lights are already out. I'll find him tomorrow.

Today did a heavy feeding; rotifers, omnivore banquet, and zoo plankton, then 1g water change. Cleaned the fuge out, pretty nasty green hairy algae, ewwwwww. Re positioned the fuge light so it's a bit farther from the glass. Added my trusty two fishies nano mag. On Saturday, gonna get proactive with the one spot of hair algae that remains. The sun coral frag. I'll be cutting the parts off with hair algae. No polyps are on these spots. Then I'll reglue the sun coral.

I did have wine, it was yum. :) A Spanish Rioja.

L

Archived