Innovative Marine Aquariums

Simplicity... llj's Fluval Spec

lljdma06

Now, I get to slow down and enjoy a tank for a month or so... I got my pompom crab. Very cute, I like him. He waves his one anemone well. Also dug up a lot of old mushrooms I forgot I had. Or rather, my YWG decided that her crib needed like throw pillows or something and she stole mushrooms. I dug quite a few out, including a large, green rhodactis that'll get fragged once it recovers. I finally added a small cluster of dendros.

638F9159-F146-4EF7-851E-E34EB43E7B5C-911-000000C943610589.jpg

C448DF8A-3DDF-4132-A7AE-8CD29B56E2CE-911-000000C953112226.jpg

1618FAC0-2D04-4DAD-ABB1-180551F08F7A-911-000000C95DAC8C09.jpg

th_4085FEC0-0941-4DAF-A717-767DDBEFB4DE-911-000000C9804A829B.jpg

Mushies! They need some time to reattach. A few have been in the YWG lair for longer than I thought was possible. Like I said, she does that. Just grabs stuff. She took two YUMAS and dragged them under, still can't find them. Either it's her or the tiger pistol. But one is definitely working in cahoots with the other! :lol: Home improvements!

4F1CA867-BE58-4615-8D33-4CAF7C3007EA-911-000000C9EE411174.jpg

Rhodactis

14523AE6-C0C1-4A42-9364-26EA8A81C431-911-000000C9FD426C25.jpg

Tiny little ricordea, forgot I had this. LOLOL

471988EF-FE82-4B74-9C62-FE6D7747A5AE-911-000000CA353C4752.jpg

Another curious little red macro Botryocladia but it could also be Halymenia that's growing a bit differently. Who knows?

1B9F8997-6EC5-469C-A6C6-F3E73BB0A37D-911-000000CA2AE600B1.jpg

And finally, the dendro cluster. Already extended and pretty.

C3336ED6-3FCB-44FC-BE21-585C0593E560-911-000000CA20C7F7BD.jpg

fts

9A4DA7DD-D60C-4360-B00F-055F86F18EF8-911-000000CA0CCB3B7F.jpg

B5838E98-F494-451C-B02E-CF1080548A00-911-000000CA170BE19E.jpg

I'll how feeding the dendro goes. I got the mysis, cyclops ease and some zoo plankton. Hopefully the fuge will start working for this tank. The fabulous thing was that the rock came from an established nps tank, I used half the saltwater from an old tank and some sand. Still going to slow down for a month or two. Only do cosmetic work like arrange the mushrooms and stuff.

L

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

very nice additions. i feed my dendro coral frenzy and mysis 2x a week. and every other week ill do a large feeding of half a silver side. i started with a single head of dendro, its now grown 5 new heads within 4 months :D

Islandoftiki

Looks great! One of my new favorite Spec builds.

Is your pom pom crab missing an arm? Or does he have only one anemone?

Some time back, my pom pom lost an arm and an anemone somehow. Next time he molted, new arm! And he split his anemone into two. He now has two big healthy looking anemones, and he's grown quite a bit.

Looks great! One of my new favorite Spec builds.

Is your pom pom crab missing an arm? Or does he have only one anemone?

Some time back, my pom pom lost an arm and an anemone somehow. Next time he molted, new arm! And he split his anemone into two. He now has two big healthy looking anemones, and he's grown quite a bit.

I do indeed think he's actually missing a limb. The other anemone arm. Like you said, though, should come back with his next molt or in a few. Then I'm sure as the anemone grows, he'll split it. When I get a shed, I'll sex the crab.

Thanks. I've always liked the Spec design. One of my friends here, Monochrome5, had a pest tank setup with a Spec. Have liked the design since. The color temp of the bulbs are really nice.

I have a ton of pods. Yay!

L

Ok so got my 606 pump took off the end caps was very easy, no force required to be honestly, they basically fell off they aren't very sturdy. it fits the tank VERY well its almost 2x higher then the stock pump but its like 3-7mm larger only it doesn't touch the glass so no annoying noises

Islandoftiki
Ok so got my 606 pump took off the end caps was very easy, no force required to be honestly, they basically fell off they aren't very sturdy. it fits the tank VERY well its almost 2x higher then the stock pump but its like 3-7mm larger only it doesn't touch the glass so no annoying noises

I had a bit of concern with my 404 pump in my spec. After running it for several months, it would slowly migrate toward the glass and restrict the intake.

The simple solution to this is to take the front cover and cut it in half horizontally. Then take the top half and super glue it to the pump housing. It then will act like a spacer between the glass and the pump intake giving you 100% flow without worrying about the pump getting sucked up to the glass and killing the flow.

I had a bit of concern with my 404 pump in my spec. After running it for several months, it would slowly migrate toward the glass and restrict the intake.

The simple solution to this is to take the front cover and cut it in half horizontally. Then take the top half and super glue it to the pump housing. It then will act like a spacer between the glass and the pump intake giving you 100% flow without worrying about the pump getting sucked up to the glass and killing the flow.

Thank you for your tip! that sounds like a great idea! i was thinking of also putting filter floss on the 3 other sides just to make sure no contact to the glass is made. mine is in my dining room so I wouldnt want to make it noisy also im thinking of taking pictures and letting you guys follow along while i set it up as soon as I get my thermometer and heater.

How are you dealing with salt creep in this tank? I have mine filled right as you do and my outlet is pointed just like yours. I'm finding that water creeps up the right front corner and follows the molding down and puddles at the bottom of the tank. I'm also finding random water streaks on the outside of the tank that have no possible way to be there, like water has bubbled over, but there's no way for it to happen. It has me pretty confused.

Islandoftiki
How are you dealing with salt creep in this tank? I have mine filled right as you do and my outlet is pointed just like yours. I'm finding that water creeps up the right front corner and follows the molding down and puddles at the bottom of the tank. I'm also finding random water streaks on the outside of the tank that have no possible way to be there, like water has bubbled over, but there's no way for it to happen. It has me pretty confused.

Salt creep is an issue with the Spec as it was never really designed for salt water. You just have to clean it every couple days. You can take a look at mine and see where I set the water level to, I don't get a ton of salt creep. Above that level, it's salt creep city.

If you get some of those bottles they use for cleaning test tubes; the ones with the bent spout coming out of the top. Fill them with RO water, hold a paper towel below the salt creep and squirt it right off. Super easy, no mess.

I'll take some pics or video of me doing it tonight as I haven't cleaned the salt off for about 4 days.

i was thinking of also putting filter floss on the 3 other sides just to make sure no contact to the glass is made.

I would say no to this as it would get all gunky and become a "nitrate factory" (my apologies for the nitrate factory reference). You should be fine if it touches the glass. My pump fits tight into the compartment and there's no noise issues.

Ok thanks for the advice. I'll let my water lvl drop a quarter inch or so and see how it goes. I already have some condiment bottles that i can use for your cleaning method.

I've not had an issue with salt creep so far, but I'm very good about keeping things clean.

I like it! :wub:

I like it too. I liked it so much that I got a second Spec, cause well, it was still on sale. It sits empty waiting for me to use.

I'm finding the stock pump very good for now. Food gets very well distributed through out the tank. I thought I'd have major issues, but it seems corals and inverts are doing fine as is. I'll put it to you this way. If I upgrade my Biocube's pump, which is currently a 606, I'll transfer that pump here and see how it goes. Then keep the stock pump back up.

I added a second dendro and a single sun coral polyp. Both are opening very well. And I don't have to feed nearly as much.

L

Guess what! Guess what!! omgomgomg Amanda has two anemones! Yes, she's an Amanda. She shed and I was able to sex her. I'm about 90% sure I've got a little female this time.

She originally had only one claw and one anemone, but look at her now...

E2A85A19-5FCF-4C79-8119-EC1909CA324E-3812-00000AB656AA3074.jpg

th_61C5DD98-E9CF-4656-BD59-D0804D110A90-3812-00000AB6747BF6A0.jpg

Animal the Dendro... Animal from the muppets

84DFA2F4-2C6A-4E22-A24B-44942065F356-3812-00000AB61D43C53D.jpg

The other dendro, Archie... from the comics, yes I know the Archie comics.

0FDF2C9A-61AC-4A32-81B4-71A5E114C33C-3812-00000AB5FA8E187A.jpg

Yellow-polyped sun coral. Haven't named him yet, though he reminds me of the muppet Beaker

A50DE465-34B4-4704-8616-639BDDC73284-3812-00000AB5D3815E92.jpg

Ricordeas and mushrooms... Including a lovely yuma...

E810FA2D-FBFB-43C2-BE64-68E114CB53DB-3812-00000AB631EBF52C.jpg

Another red macro algae...

20756597-BCEE-4A50-8A89-2752A1F10DAE-3812-00000AB7717FD2CF.jpg

green star polyps...

3514C0F1-71A8-4333-8DFE-E61DAECBCDD5-3812-00000AB5B8675407.jpg

fts

2CA6DA70-93FE-4C1F-9EFB-A866181EB0EE-3812-00000AB744AD70E1.jpg

We got this little strip of blue lights. They suck, but they do bring out some colors at night. Phone doesn't do it justice.

FB163E81-0AD4-4F2F-A4CE-45BB8DBBE293-3812-00000AB7EF09DCA6.jpg

AA80AD02-B6F7-49E0-8353-821C70CE2A75-3812-00000AB858ED13A3.jpg

BA632B7A-B4C2-4B0D-9AEE-93461C3CE9F4-3812-00000AB83762C9E3.jpg

B8F9C84F-34C7-4356-869E-2D53B9B0858C-3812-00000AB7D7B9A093.jpg

Thanks for looking.

L

I want your animal dendro! I have been saying I want to dry a dendro forever and just never have. My lfs never has them in stock, so just send me yours!!!!! ;)

I want your animal dendro! I have been saying I want to dry a dendro forever and just never have. My lfs never has them in stock, so just send me yours!!!!! ;)

Awwwww, I'm sorry. I got very lucky with my dendros. LFS got nice ones in.

Looove the pom pom! Even more because my girlfriend's name is Amanda :-D

It's funny, my boyfriend and I wanted a name that was similar to Armand, my old pompom crab, who was super awesome. ARmanda is stupid and silly, but Amanda is pretty and it actually suits her well. She is a delicate, pretty crab. I may add sexies to this tank, I'm not sure.

I love this tank... We caved though, we put in an order for a new light. It's not the intensity of the light that we didn't like, my current roster of corals were doing great, but that the color temperature was not the best for display. So we opted for the Innovative Marine 4W, which has 14k bulbs, and moonlights on a separate plug.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...24473&r=960

You may wonder, why not go with a PAR 30 or something with a higher light intensity? I personally didn't want to and boyfriend agreed. The whole point of this setup was to keep it simple and stay as close to using the stock equipment as possible. If a mod was to be done, it would keep the "simplicity" concept intact. No heavy DIY builds or anything like that.. We'll still use the stock light for refugiums. I'm keeping the stock pump for now. I have no plans to go beyond the nps LPS corals in this tank. I don't even plan zoanthids and palys. I don't think they get on with the nps in the confines of 2g.

L

Man, this tank is looking sweet. It's making me want to take down my freshwater Spec at work and convert it to a second saltwater Spec. Your tank brings back memories of

it was a pest tank.

Keep up the good work, and isn't that crazy how pom pom crabs can grow back an entire arm, and split the anemone in two? Awesome creatures. I love my pom pom.

Of course, the

is something special in it's own right. I'm planning some additional pesty upgrades once the competition is over.
You may wonder, why not go with a PAR 30 or something with a higher light intensity?

I honestly think my par30 is a bit too bright for most soft corals, which is what I have in mine.

Man, this tank is looking sweet. It's making me want to take down my freshwater Spec at work and convert it to a second saltwater Spec. Your tank brings back memories of
it was a pest tank.

Keep up the good work, and isn't that crazy how pom pom crabs can grow back an entire arm, and split the anemone in two? Awesome creatures. I love my pom pom.

Of course, the

is something special in it's own right. I'm planning some additional pesty upgrades once the competition is over.

Ok, I saw the first tank on Youtube like when my boyfriend and I were first checking out Specs. Haha! You're the one with the crazy Xenia! That stuff is insane in your tank. The pest tank also has its charm. I know Monochrome5's pest tank very well. The majanos look rather pretty under the PAR 30.

I honestly think my par30 is a bit too bright for most soft corals, which is what I have in mine.

I think it may be as well and like you said, your tank was heavily modded, which don't get me wrong, that's awesome that you can do that. I suck at DIY so I opted not to do that, so I'm limited as to what I can put in there.

Boyfriend and i rescaped the Spec last night... finally attached corals in their final places. We have more work to do and right now everybody's sulking big time. Once everybody perks up, I'll post pictures.

I'm curious to see how the light will look.

How are you liking that light? The pictures look awesome. How is it in person?

We haven't received the Innovative marine one yet. I'll let you know as soon as we do. Right now, we've been fine-tuning the coral arranging.

L

What are you doing for temperature management and what temperature does it stay?

Not much... I have a heater that shuts off when it reaches 80 and I have a little 10w Halogen in my refugium. Tank is never beyond 78. I've never really been big about keeping my tank temperature super constant. I think a couple of degrees variance isn't too bad. Others may disagree with me and that's fine. As long as the animals are hardy and I don't go too far into any one extreme...

L

Archived