Pod Your Reef

Simplicity... llj's Fluval Spec

lljdma06

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scape looks insane specially for the foot print the spec gives to work with. I just redid my scape and i wish I had your eyes.. That gorg how much do you feed it ? Daily or a few times a week? I been eye f¥£€!n one at lfs and can pull the triger on bringing it home . What do you feed yours to keep them open.

Thank you. :)

They eat frozen rotifers, cyclops, cyclopseaze, and whatever liquid concoction my fiance mixes when he's feeding his corals. They get fed several times a day.

looks really nice - love the layout

Thanks. The Spec is a pain to scape. No room to work. Now, it is super easy to move around.

Your gorgs are gorgeous! I need to put everything in a bucket and scrub too. Sad day that you lost your Pom Pom. :/

LOL, and they're not even open. Wait til they open. The gorgs actually grew in this tank, I had to make a third piece. That's a good sign.

I just think he didn't get enough food. Some pompoms are more extroverted, this one hid all day. I was considering replacing it, but since the coral banded is getting bigger and I have an emerald crab, I don't see the point in adding another invert like that. I may replace the scarlet hermit. They're cheap. I'll also add a small trochus for algae control. Keep things really simple.

I'll snap pictures when the big colony of gsp open and the gorgs open.

L

Several feedings a day wow! I would think twice a day was more then enough.

Several adds up to around 3-4. It's only maybe 1-2 more feedings. Mine only don't open when they are sulking after a major tank overhaul. The great thing is that they'll eat whenever, so you can feed when lights are out.

L

Tank turned 7 months yesterday. :D Wooooooo!

Gsp looks like they'll open today, so I'll be able to snap some pictures and do a general update as there are some new corals in the mix.

L

Just shaw build thread, Beautiful! I love NPS.

I broke down my NPS nano to make room for a lager cylinder tank for a largish nem & clowns. But that project is on hold for a while. I have a couple NPS id held onto to put in the cylinder tank. I've been thinking I might sell them though. They would look good in your tank, but I don't know that I could ship anything successfully.

Jim

Ok, I finally got some peeeechurs. The gsp opened up.

First is a bad video. Photo bucket made it icky. I'll have to upload onto Youtube later.

th_C6396B33-BBE0-4FCA-8402-10B4E98994B8-

Full tank shot

B1C83A76-58E4-4C08-9BED-AA10794509D9-225

Nps

2BBCCF19-DD57-4816-8E6E-F11B2495961D-226

2BE015DF-5469-40ED-B6CD-947B8A26743A-226

67373C72-8CD0-40A9-845A-5B13590C9ACA-226

Thanks for looking. I'll update the first page in a bit.

L

Your spec is insane. I was going to get a gorg like your but this one had red polyps when I asked to get it they said it was on hold for some one else... Better luck next I guess. Do you add kalk do top off? I love they way you set up your scape.

Your spec is insane. I was going to get a gorg like your but this one had red polyps when I asked to get it they said it was on hold for some one else... Better luck next I guess. Do you add kalk do top off? I love they way you set up your scape.

No, I don't dose anything. My fiance, on the other hand, may dose a vitamin of some type, but I don't know what he does. LOL, I just let him play with my tank while I do the water changes. I'll ask his so that I can get back to you. I think it's just vitamins, no Kalk or anything like that. With the water changes and me only having softies and some lps, I don't think I'd need it.

Red polyps with yellow indicate to me a Swiftia exserta. Not the Diodigorgias that I keep. Swiftias have smaller polyps, so they need smaller food, so are less forgiving than a Diodigorgia. When polyps are so small, it's hard to see if they've eaten or not. With a Diodigorgia, it's really easy to see the polyp actually grab stuff. I've wanted to try the species, as I've managed to grow the Diodigorgia to the point where I needed to frag it already, so I feel I can handle the smaller polyps of S. excerta. But the store sells really big branches and I'd just want a tiny frag. Lol, maybe I can convince fiance to buy a big branch and let me frag it. :D

L

Lol frag the branches!.do u do wc every Other day? I dont recall if I askd already.

Well, when I was taking care of this tank properly, it got 50-60% 2x a week. It went, to be honest, when my mom was in the hospital, almost a month without a water change, but thank goodness I have good nutrient export. All I got was that my pretty red algae went nutso and I had to really clean the tank. And I lost my pompom crab cause the tank wasn't being fed enough.

Twice a week... That seems like I need to step up my wc I guess. Im doing every 5 days but ... Some times 7 days.

I think it depends on what philosophy you prefer. Some advocate smaller water changes, some advocate larger ones. There was a recent thread that discusses the idea of pico maintenance in general discussion that I just read through today. Very enlightening. I actually want to save it in my thread cause I found it interesting to read the two conflicting opinions. I feed too much for your average pico because of the nps. There's no way I can maintain the water quality I do, unless I resort to heavy chemical and mechanical filtration. Right now, I just have a refugium, so the water changes become important. Granted, the system was ok going a month without a water change, but what a pain it was to clean when I decided to get back on track. Scrubbing rocks but mostly cleaning glass (thank goodness!) and it wasn't much green hair algae, but a decorative algae that I had brought in and coralline. It wasn't horrible, but I had to be proactive or I'd have to start over and I didn't want to. I saw the warning signs and acted before it affected corals. I think brandon429 calls it eutrophication. The water changes works for me, but let me see what my tank does when it's a year old. Right now, it's only 7 months and I honestly just dodged a bullet.

For my own reference.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/317672-my-pico-tank/

Your thoughts on this oh people of Nanoreef...

You think a small rock flower anemone is a bad idea or a good idea? I've kept them in the past and loved them. It's basically anemone light. I could also get just more Ricordeas. That's a safer option.

I'm definitely picking up a trochus snail.

L

Why not the rock flower nem? Why do u say its safer? Is it couse they move around and can hurt your corals?

For that very reason, though in my experience, once you feed the nem in the spot you want it to be, it doesn't really move. It associates the location with yummies and stays pretty much put.

I'll see what I find. Ricordeas are not a bad option either. They really aren't. I just wanted some color in the lower levels of the tank, I'm not particularly picky on how that's accomplished, so the safest way that won't compromise my system is not a bad idea. A nem is very cool, but we'll see. Only if I find the right one.

L

I have a ric and it's kinda awesome but a nem would be cooler. ;)

I have a Ricordea Yuma in the tank already. I'd love another one, as I'm fond of yumas. We'll see. At any rate trochus will be at the LFS tomorrow, so I'll see what else she has besides trochus. Could be that Florida rics are all the tank needs. The nps are hard enough, no need really to complicate with an anemone if its not necessary.

I personally like the rock anemones better. I have one if my 7 gallon pico and am thinking of putting a few into a SPEC V that I want to set up at work. I keep on going between a minimalistic scape and something that depics a scene like I do in my FW planted tanks. metrokat had a great idea for doing an asian themed tank but I think that is going to be really hard to maintain.

I have a Ricordea Yuma in the tank already. I'd love another one, as I'm fond of yumas. We'll see. At any rate trochus will be at the LFS tomorrow, so I'll see what else she has besides trochus. Could be that Florida rics are all the tank needs. The nps are hard enough, no need really to complicate with an anemone if its not necessary.

True. Nems can be tricky. Florida rics will add a bunch of color too. One of my lfs has a rimless overflow tank that has a zoa/paly/ric/mushroom garden with pipefish. Made me think of you today. They sell their rics for $35. But their rics, not florida rics. Not really sure of the specific difference.

I personally like the rock anemones better. I have one if my 7 gallon pico and am thinking of putting a few into a SPEC V that I want to set up at work. I keep on going between a minimalistic scape and something that depics a scene like I do in my FW planted tanks. metrokat had a great idea for doing an asian themed tank but I think that is going to be really hard to maintain.

True. Nems can be tricky. Florida rics will add a bunch of color too. One of my lfs has a rimless overflow tank that has a zoa/paly/ric/mushroom garden with pipefish. Made me think of you today. They sell their rics for $35. But their rics, not florida rics. Not really sure of the specific difference.

Well, fiance nipped this in the bud and said no to any additions that aren't utilitarian at this point in time. I understand his reasoning and have agreed. We are pretty tight in money and I need an oil change in my car. Also, this tank will be a year old in August. Honestly, with regard to stocking, I'd like to not rock the boat, but leave things as is. The tank is already hard enough with the gorgs and other nps, To make me feel better, he'll give me some mushrooms and zoas from his tank. :D

When our financial situation improves, I'll revisit this again. LOL, probably after the tank is a year old.

L

Archived