Innovative Marine Aquariums

Simplicity... llj's Fluval Spec

lljdma06

I've been doing the water changes, but it's time for a major scrub of the algae, mostly coraline, but some decorative algae, that I'm finding too invasive. So I'll be removing rocks, critters, and corals into buckets and cleaning the tank the old fashioned way. Then putting everything back in. Tanks had that happen before during "the pompom crab almost killed the pistol shrimp" episode...

Will drain the refugium, clean out the pumps, securely glue everything. Will be a long task tonight. Will probably buy beer to help me complete it and watch very bad movies to keep me focused. LOL

Tank won't be moved for a couple of months yet. I'm back at my fiance's after having moved all my stuff out of the family home so it can be sold. Right now, it's best to get it super clean so it handles the move very well. Also, nice to get the animals used to the process, as the move will be pretty similar. Want to add some little zoa frags to the mix. Just some tiny ones. I got red hornets and eagle eyes.

Will keep everyone posted.

L

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still following you just so ya know. :happy: I love the way you did a central column of rock and wish I had done the same for mine. Was thinking of getting the same gorg cause mine has the rock leaning into the right corner so the middle and left upper corner are baren.

Still following you just so ya know. :happy: I love the way you did a central column of rock and wish I had done the same for mine. Was thinking of getting the same gorg cause mine has the rock leaning into the right corner so the middle and left upper corner are baren.

Thanks.

The gorgs are cool. They are pretty easy. Love frozen rotifers and cyclops ease. They'll even take tiny scraps of mysis and brine. Greedy little gorgs. Way easier than some of the smaller polyped varieties.

Ok, beer tank extravaganza did not happen last night. A bottle of wine and delicious ravioli did instead. So tank didn't get done, but I was happy anyway... :P:wacko:

Will shoot for either today or tomorrow. I need my fiance to prepare some SW.

L

Thanks.

The gorgs are cool. They are pretty easy. Love frozen rotifers and cyclops ease. They'll even take tiny scraps of mysis and brine. Greedy little gorgs. Way easier than some of the smaller polyped varieties.

Ok, beer tank extravaganza did not happen last night. A bottle of wine and delicious ravioli did instead. So tank didn't get done, but I was happy anyway... :P:wacko:

Will shoot for either today or tomorrow. I need my fiance to prepare some SW.

L

Nice. Lol. Wine always makes for a good night. You inspired me to look at rescaping my spec and in doing so I found what I think is a coco worm hitchhiker in some of my live rock. ;D so thanks for the inspiration.

Hey, I was doing research on your gorg to make sure I could handle it and live aquaria says it's for experts only. So...... Is it harder to keep than a Yuma? That's probably about one of the most difficult things in my tank atm. Is the innovative marine 4w enough light? (I know they're not photosynthetic but live aquaria says they need light.) should I just pm you?

Hey, I was doing research on your gorg to make sure I could handle it and live aquaria says it's for experts only. So...... Is it harder to keep than a Yuma? That's probably about one of the most difficult things in my tank atm. Is the innovative marine 4w enough light? (I know they're not photosynthetic but live aquaria says they need light.) should I just pm you?

Some are photosynthetic, some aren't. The ones that aren't would be the "expert" ones due to their feeding requirements. In a pico they would be even harder to care for due to the face that you could potentially crash your tank trying to feed one.

Some are photosynthetic, some aren't. The ones that aren't would be the "expert" ones due to their feeding requirements. In a pico they would be even harder to care for due to the face that you could potentially crash your tank trying to feed one.

Since I already feed my palys, Yuma, ric and USO (un id'd object). I think I'm not going to crash my tank with a feeding. Besides, if done properly by syphoning out excess and a water change the day after, there's not a chance for a crash. I was asking more along the lines of extra flow, certain types of light in order not to burn in ect. From lljdma06, since she has one....

Some gogs the fingery ones are the easiest to keep if you add a few drops of reeds nutrition oister, roto, phyto . Its plenty fir them to thrive and grow in your tank. So i change my water in my edge 25% every week so I think in a spec 25% wc would also be ok .

I drain my pico about 50-60% 2x a week. I also have a refugium. The Diodogorgia really like larger particles. They'll take frozen rotifers, cyclops, & cyclops eaze. Even leftover scraps of mysis & brine, if the tenticles can grab it.

The Diodogorgia doesn't mind light. What you have to worry about is algae growing on them. They like good indirect flow too. I have the Spec stock pump & another pump on the other side. I may upgrade, not sure. So far I haven't needed to.

L

Thanks, I already do about a 25% twice a week so I think I should be okay. Now just to find one. Haven't really seen any at the lfs. You have another pump on the other side? is it the same type of pump?

That's not bad. TBH, I've been lax with the water changes recently due to my mom's medical condition. Tank still needs a good clean, but the inhabitants are doing quite well. I may have lost the pompom crab, but I say that every time and then I find him. Still have the cowrie!

No, it's a different pump. Held upright by some ghetto-fabulous modifications by my fiance. Gets the job done, another 40gph, so I've got about 80gph total. It's not bad turnover. I have a maxijet 606, that I'm curious to see if it fits or not. I know the maxi 404 fits, but I'm not sure about the 606.

Tank will be 7 months old on the 11th of March. Amazing how time flies.

I'll really make an effort to clean the tank either today or tomorrow morning. I'm such a slacker. I really am sorry. I am just so tired when I get home. *sigh*

Gorgs ate rotifers last couple of nights. They've been open. I love them. Can't wait to glue them properly. I may have to frag them a bit. By the way, you can do this pretty simple with gorgs. I fragged these pieces when I first got them, and the cut tissue has already healed and new polyps are covering it, so I may do some frag work with the gorgs.

Ok, gotta get ready for work. Have a great day everyone! :)

L

I think I read somewhere on another spec topic that someone had used the 606 by removing the covers???? I'll see if I can find that again and post a link. Hmmmm. Extra pump would probably make my Xenias more happy, I'll have to look into doing a second pump but it sounds like a fabulous idea considering the stock pump isn't all that great.

Thanks. I appreciate that. I see in your thread that you're interested in the Innovative Marine 4W light. I have this light.

L

Any new pics? Its funny how im allways asking for pics but I dont even know how to post pics :)

I know and I'm very sorry I keep disappointing you. :( My mom's had another fall. Nothing serious, but instead of doing the tank yesterday, I was with her. Today too. Possibly will get to the tank tomorrow morning. I really need to. It's driving me crazy. LOL

Sorry to hear about your mom falling again. Hope she is doing better. Pics could allways wait family is more important;)

Sorry to hear about your mom falling again. Hope she is doing better. Pics could allways wait family is more important;)

I may just be able to do that clean either tonight or tomorrow. I hope it's tonight, I really want this tank done already. LOL

Hey L just stopping by to say hello and to see how the tank is doing. Where can I get my hands on a gorg like that? I'd love to have some in my 30.

Hey L just stopping by to say hello and to see how the tank is doing. Where can I get my hands on a gorg like that? I'd love to have some in my 30.

Hey jg, tank is doing ok, considering all that's been happening with my mom. Gotta do a serious clean of some coraline and invasive algae. That pretty red one that was decorative before is now growing too much. I gotta trim it. Today I finally have a day off from work and can do some tank stuff. Green clown goby is doing ok.

Man, come to Miami, gorgs are a dime a dozen. Well, not really, but every LFS has Diodogorgia on sale. A decent branch is like $22 and you can certainly frag it. Diodogorgias are a local species. They are not hard in a main tank, they just need good flow and rotifer feedings. They'll eat any small particle food, not picky. The easiest of the gorgs.

Ok, off to clean the apartment now. I've dilly-dallied with you people long enough! :P

L

We never get gorgs like that at any lfs in my area. I really wish we would because I would love to put some in my tank. We also never get dendros, It sucks!

I'm sorry, jg. It stinks when you can't get the corals you want.

:(

I finally did the clean today. It went well. I gave one of the dendros to my fiancé, & I fragged the gorgs. My fiancé gave me some palys & zoas. I like the new scape. It's similar to the old scape.

Basically, I removed everything & put it in buckets while I cleaned the Spec. There was a lot of algae, mostly coraline. I even removed about 1/2 the sand & redid the rocks. I didn't need such a deep sand bed.

I lost my pompom crab & 1 scarlet hermit. Considering how I've let this tank go since my mom's been in the hospital, I thought things would be worse. I'll replace the pompom crab.

I'll post pictures later. Promise.

Ok, I have one picture. The corals were pretty pissed, but you get a sense of the layout.

40AF5C14-8A14-47D5-B535-3CE12123A0B6-206

I'll snap more when everybody's happy & I do another water change.

L

The scape looks insane specially for the foot print the spec gives to work with. I just redid my scape and i wish I had your eyes.. That gorg how much do you feed it ? Daily or a few times a week? I been eye f¥£€!n one at lfs and can pull the triger on bringing it home . What do you feed yours to keep them open.

Archived