Cultivated Reef

Simplicity... llj's Fluval Spec

lljdma06

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the pest tank! Especially the crab, Kong is cute! (though he looks a bit scared in the pic)

Nah, that's just his handsome face. You wish you looked like that! LOL

Actually, he is joined by a second kong who is smaller, still cute though. I wish I could keep them and the mantis together, but my gut tells me it's a bad idea.

I see a third spec for the mantis in the future. Especially if I get a full time job.

L

If things go as planned this weekend, I will be adding...

-yellow sun coral polyps

-balanophyllia polyps

-my final colony of dendros from my 36g tank

-gsp

-green sympodium

Will post update soon

L

I agree, bad idea! But a third spec sounds like a great plan :D

It is, I just have to save money. I'd like corals in that tank, so I'd need to upgrade the lighting.

L

Awesome looking crab. I request more photos of Kong please.

Kong is shy and is a misunderstood beast. There is also now Son of Kong, who is smaller.

I shall do my best to capture their images... The pest tank is actually due for a rescape. The caulerpa is everywhere and I can't see the crabs.

Something to do over Thanksgiving.

L

Haha. Sounds like Kong is a master of gorilla warfare. I suggest a tiny female statue with a banana. They say, "beauty tamed the beast."

I just read what i wrote. Oh man, i am so lame. lol.

• 3 weeks later...
Haha. Sounds like Kong is a master of gorilla warfare. I suggest a tiny female statue with a banana. They say, "beauty tamed the beast."

I just read what i wrote. Oh man, i am so lame. lol.

Kong is adorable and no, you're not lame.

An update for this tank...

Removed, the acans and gave them to my fiance. They were doing great, but he has more awesome LEDs that show off acans better. In exchange, I got a green sympodium and some more gsp. I also purchased for myself a diodogorgia, which I then fragged for various tanks. It is stunning. and, and, and, it takes cyclops eaze and frozen cyclops, so feeding just got way easier.

A full tank shot.

56461FF1-19AE-48B1-BDF7-2238272802D2-7009-00000DA3C7798106.jpg

And video...

Enjoy. :D

• 1 month later...

That is AWESOME!! :lol:

Thank you. Tank is doing well. I need to be up on my maintenance though. So many things can go wrong with a pico if you're not on your maintenance, especially when you got a fish in there and all the nps.

I'm going to get a small emerald crab for this tank to do some cleanup for me, and perhaps a small trochus.

This picture is pretty recent, early January, I think.

9F9D43AD-835F-465C-A58C-CE30E93BA47F-233

I'm also preparing for a dreaded move. Bleh, the death of so many successful picos. The spec may be easy though. I don't even think I'll have to drain it much and the move is only about 10-15 min away.

L

Aside from the pest spec, this is my favorite. Love it.

Thank you. :) It needs a nice water change tonight. When I get back from the hospital (been with my mom all day), I'll do the water change.

I love NPS tanks, good luck

Ill be sure to keep my eye on this one

I like nps too. I had an nps pico a year ago, but I made some mistakes. I've kept it more simple this time and I think I'm doing better.

wonderful little nps tank!

Thank you. Not looking forward to the move, which will be very soon, but this tank doesn't have a lot of extra hardware, so I may be lucky. I also designed the scape, so that the top half of it is detachable. I'll simply remove that and put it in a bucket, then put it back when the move is complete. My other Spec that'll be moved along with this one is just the former pest spec feature here. It now houses a Neogonodactylus curacaoensis, a mantis shrimp. That one should be easy.

L

I'm super envious of this tank. I love all the nps and it all looks really good. What kind of gorg is that?

It's just a Diodogorgia nudifolia or nudifloria. Supposedly the easiest of the gorgs cause of the large polyps. They'll take chunks of stuff. Love rotifers.

L

• 2 weeks later...

Hey lljdma06, I just got a D. Nudifolia for my pico.

How long did it take for the polyps to open after you placed it in the tank?

After acclimating, they started opening immediately. They weren't full open though until the following day. Then they ate like piggies.

Hey thanks for the info.

It is funny, I got a small red frag and a larger yellow one. The red one is open and eating but the yellow has stayed closed for 4 days now. I have tried to feed it every day before the lights come on.

I will keep trying to feed it. Hope it opens soon!

Hey thanks for the info.

It is funny, I got a small red frag and a larger yellow one. The red one is open and eating but the yellow has stayed closed for 4 days now. I have tried to feed it every day before the lights come on.

I will keep trying to feed it. Hope it opens soon!

Your welcome. I hope yours opens soon too. Just be patient. They also go through a sort of waxing/shedding period when they don't open.

Im addicted i shall follow along ! Love this little tank i have one myself but its empty at the moment dont know what to do with it yet.

Thanks. I shall try to keep this tank going as best as I can. I lost the emerald crab, but that was my fault. I didn't acclimate him well enough due to the rush of going back and forth between home and the hospital (my mom's having some serious medical issues). I'll get another one soon.

Also, it looks like my LFS acquired some very nice dendro/balano. A big colony that they're going to split and frag. I get first dibs on a small colony for the spec. I'll also be moving the tank and perhaps placing some of my prize zoanthids there. Small colonies. Just for a wee pop of color.

I lied, emerald crab is alive and well. Was fooled by its shed, which is way more dense than a pompom or a porcelain crab.

I also did a water change.

Tank could stand a good clean (need to scrub the glass and remove some decorative algae), but the water change is a start. Excited to put the new dendro/balano and the zoas.

The impending move is up in the air. I'll know more today. The tank will be moved, I just don't know if the total moves will be one or two or when they'll be. Hopefully, only one in early March and then it should enjoy a stable location for at least a year and I'll always be there to take care of it. I love this tank, I really want to keep it up.

L

Sweet tank

Thanks, I'm going to do my best to keep it going. I need some time to work on it. It needs a good algae scrub and another water change.

L

Archived