Pod Your Reef

Stones & Roses

jball1125

jball1125

Here's hoping that your getaway is totally without any tank incidents, for you and your brother's sake!

Awesome man! Email the photo over if you don't mind. I will also have that solution here very soon.

-Dave

Little bit of petroleum jelly on the impeller shaft and we are back to dead silence

Nice!

Thank you :)

Dave, pics sent!

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jball1125

My Lfs had a pretty big loss of high end rock flower nems. To show some support I passed by today and bought some sps for the tank. These three acros, a small sunset monti frag and also got another sexy.

Hope I can keep these guys happy.

xFK46mG.png

how long before I can move hem to the top of he tank do you guys think?

Hope I can keep these guys happy.

xFK46mG.png

how long before I can move hem to the top of he tank do you guys think?

Nice looking new additions man! Keep the main three nice and stable, and I would separate them a little if you have the room. I like about an inch between them to give them a little room atleast before they are growing into eachother.

Moving them up will really depend on what lighting they were under before you brought them home in comparison to your lighting. I often place my sps where I want them without much concern, not really recommended but if you aren't running alot stronger lighting then what they are used to its not that big of a deal really, and small frags adjust more readily then larger colonies ;)

jball1125

Nice looking new additions man! Keep the main three nice and stable, and I would separate them a little if you have the room. I like about an inch between them to give them a little room atleast before they are growing into eachother.

Moving them up will really depend on what lighting they were under before you brought them home in comparison to your lighting. I often place my sps where I want them without much concern, not really recommended but if you aren't running alot stronger lighting then what they are used to its not that big of a deal really, and small frags adjust more readily then larger colonies ;)

Thank you for the tips brother! They are sitting at the bottom for a week until I get back from vacation. Will it be ok to move them to the top once I get back or should I move them up gradually? I do plan to separate them when I get back, they were all on that piece of rock when i purchased them.

That garf bonsai is gorgeous

Thank you for the tips brother! They are sitting at the bottom for a week until I get back from vacation. Will it be ok to move them to the top once I get back or should I move them up gradually? I do plan to separate them when I get back, they were all on that piece of rock when i purchased them.

After having a week at the bottom I would go about half up initially just to play it safe. Give them a week or so there and as long as everything seems ok then move them on up.

Also, for the future NEVER put a rock like that in your tank it is a good way to get AEFW or other pests. Always make sure you dip ( I like Bayer), and remove plugs/ rock bases before adding to your tank.

jball1125

Where are you going on your vaca?

Nothing crazy, just visiting my mother for a few days then driving to visit my brother in law. Have some food n wine festival, wakeboarding and kayaking in the plans but mainly relaxation!

Well those will grow out nicely! I've never light acclimated my SPS :unsure:.

Thanks Gena!

After having a week at the bottom I would go about half up initially just to play it safe. Give them a week or so there and as long as everything seems ok then move them on up.

Also, for the future NEVER put a rock like that in your tank it is a good way to get AEFW or other pests. Always make sure you dip ( I like Bayer), and remove plugs/ rock bases before adding to your tank.

I fw dipped, I was kind of scared of putting it in and will kick myself in the face if something happens but I was in a bit of a hurry with work and packing for the trip.

I fw dipped, I was kind of scared of putting it in and will kick myself in the face if something happens but I was in a bit of a hurry with work and packing for the trip.

FW is minimally effective at best IMO. Definitely pick up some Bayer if you don't have it already (and have a safe place to store it) and dip them when you get home. In the future tho I'd definitely suggest dipping and removing the base everytime before adding to your tank.... so plan for that before bringing new pieces home (I know easier said then done, but it can be a painful gamble that isn't worth the risk).

jball1125

FW is minimally effective at best IMO. Definitely pick up some Bayer if you don't have it already (and have a safe place to store it) and dip them when you get home. In the future tho I'd definitely suggest dipping and removing the base everytime before adding to your tank.... so plan for that before bringing new pieces home (I know easier said then done, but it can be a painful gamble that isn't worth the risk).

Believe me dude I know ! I was calling myself all sorts of names while putting that rock in the tank. It was a spur of the moment thing. Was trying to show my lfs some support, got a good deal and was in a hurry. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the but.

Wakeboarding and kayaking sounds fun!

Loads! There are some great natural spring rivers and lakes where my BIL lives.

FlowerMama

Aaaaw. I have a black/white cocker. Also loves balls. He puts his on the top of the stairs, pushes it over w/ his nose, runs down the stairs to get it and brings it back up. He can play fetch with himself. Another day I was on the treadmill walking and told him to get his ball after he kept staring at my feet. He got it, dropped it on the treadmill and it went flying out the back, he did this like 5 more times. And as a pup, he brought it back first thing w/o being taught. LOOOOVE COCKERS!! They have my heart. Your moms is pretty and funny thing is my boy had a blond mother but none of his siblings were blond.

20150409_205944_zpsec4mgreq.jpg

And I LOVE fluffy paws!!!

jball1125

That's a handsome boy, my moms does all sorts of creative things to play fetch with herself. She's obsessed though, if a ball gets stuck under the couch she will sit there with her nose under the couch till someone gets it for her. Lol

FlowerMama

Exactly! And mine will remember that 5 yrs ago my mom gave a toy that came out of her kitchen closet. He goes there now and lays at the bottom of the door sniffing the space but there's no toy there And yeah, if it rolls under the couch or bed they're trying to get it w/ their butt sticking up in the air or nose between the cushion sections! They're crazy but mine also retrieves things she shouldn't, toilet paper, paper towel, grapes, and things that involved surgery to remove like 192 diabetic lancets and dish cloth!!!! Yeah, I've had my share of fun w/ this one.

That picture is the best though with the flying ears. UP UP & AWAY!!.

jball1125

Exactly! And mine will remember that 5 yrs ago my mom gave a toy that came out of her kitchen closet. He goes there now and lays at the bottom of the door sniffing the space but there's no toy there And yeah, if it rolls under the couch or bed they're trying to get it w/ their butt sticking up in the air or nose between the cushion sections! They're crazy but mine also retrieves things she shouldn't, toilet paper, paper towel, grapes, and things that involved surgery to remove like 192 diabetic lancets and dish cloth!!!! Yeah, I've had my share of fun w/ this one.

That picture is the best though with the flying ears. UP UP & AWAY!!.

Haha yup! I guess they all have similar personalities. Bathroom doors must stay closed!

FlowerMama

Haha yup! I guess they all have similar personalities. Bathroom doors must stay closed!

He's in the cage all day when I'm at work but when I'm home the bathroom door can be open but the garbage can is behind the closed shower door. He's been good about not touching toilet paper lately so I can have it on the spool again ( I hope he's outgrown that finally, he's like 7 or 8). I still love 'em .. You know how lovable they are, affectionate.

jball1125

He's in the cage all day when I'm at work but when I'm home the bathroom door can be open but the garbage can is behind the closed shower door. He's been good about not touching toilet paper lately so I can have it on the spool again ( I hope he's outgrown that finally, he's like 7 or 8). I still love 'em .. You know how lovable they are, affectionate.

They are very affectionate, she is a great cuddler!

jball1125

So ive been having my younger brother send me pics when he goes to attend the tank and the cat. Two nights in a row now it just so happens that there is a hermit on the sps. Hope that's not a bad sign.

Archived