ReefCleaners.org

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Thanks ... and a lot of reading .. :-)

Albert

Somehow the image does not link to the Video ... Can you post the direct link to it maybe,

Thanks

Albert

Here is the direct link. The isopod hops at the 9 second mark.

http://s1250.beta.photobucket.com/user/eitallent/media/MyAtlantis/2013-01-25_20-23-55_674_zps0b1eef12.mp4.html

close ups:

2013-01-25_20-31-33_14_zps5aaf615e.jpg

Next to the point of bamboo skewer.

2013-01-25_20-29-48_204_zpsb5c65a2c.jpg

Since Rick12 Posted about Tomato Clowns here is a video

of a 19 Year Old one Settling down

Link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V1GEeCtx2U'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V1GEeCtx2U

Albert

Funny I purchased a small green carpet nem and the three stripe clown when I first started out ( newbie)

The guy at the LFS told me the tomato clown was rare because it had three stripes. He later told me he was joking but I think he honestly believed it was rare.

The short story ... That clown loved the nem and it is amazing to watch them in their loving hosting relationship.

But as ole nubes realize the nem out grew the 90g and had to move on. I feel sorry for the clown, I should have sent it with the nem.

R.

Here is the direct link. The isopod hops at the 9 second mark.

http://s1250.beta.photobucket.com/user/eitallent/media/MyAtlantis/2013-01-25_20-23-55_674_zps0b1eef12.mp4.html

close ups:

Next to the point of bamboo skewer.

Amazing indeed, and in that one picture the hooks they use to attach to the fishes are so clearly visible, and they sure look scary !

Great pics but you are right ... anything can come in on LR even from the most trusted sources ! But to get Cironalid isopods of the nasty kind is certainly not a common occurrence but it does indeed happen as you have proven.

Nasty looking too, and although not very visible in this pic they usually have large eyes for some reason.

Thanks for posting the direct link to the Video and yes I saw that one hopping away.

Albert

Funny I purchased a small green carpet nem and the three stripe clown when I first started out ( newbie) The guy at the LFS told me the tomato clown was rare because it had three stripes. He later told me he was joking but I think he honestly believed it was rare. The short story ... That clown loved the nem and it is amazing to watch them in their loving hosting relationship. But as ole nubes realize the nem out grew the 90g and had to move on. I feel sorry for the clown, I should have sent it with the nem. R.

That is interesting indeed that you bought the same nem for the Clown ... and I guess the LFS did not quite know that they lost their stripes as they aged and only kept the front one.

And yes those Nems get BIG indeed ... and I am not surprised you had to pass it on to someone else ...

I guess you must have liked the Clown too much to let it go .. and that is very understandable indeed.

Albert

The Clean-Up Crew as seen By Chuck of Chuck's Addiction

Another look at what it should include. Some may have seen this lenghty article but some may not so I am reposting it for those of you who want to have another look at it and get another view on what a good Clean-Up Crew should consist of

Note that some of the members listed can be opportunistic feeders and that one needs to make sure that they always have sufficient foods available to them so they do not decide that your corals and other life forms look "appealing" to them as well besides what you want them to remove from the tank

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/cleanupcrew.html

Albert

One more question about stocking. In substitution for the cardinalfish in my setup could I use a blue-green reef chromis instead or would that not work with the other fish? (tailspot blenny and/or citron goby, pink-streaked wrasse) Thanks.

Karen

One more question about stocking. In substitution for the cardinalfish in my setup could I use a blue-green reef chromis instead or would that not work with the other fish? (tailspot blenny and/or citron goby, pink-streaked wrasse) Thanks.

Karen

Yes it is peaceful and gets along with most other fish and has a real nice color as you have probably seen. In tanks of 30 G + you can actually add more than one.

Omnivore so eats just about anything you feed. Needs high water quality but then that is not unique to this one as all fish need high quality water chemistry to do well.

Grows to about 3" and has a long life span even in aquarium conditions. Not that the size if you get a larger one may have an effect in the Tailspot which may hide more

Albert

Thanks. Will they be okay as 1 fish only? My 30 gallon is more like a cube so doesn't have the length of a standard 30 gallon.

Sure that should be just fine ... It is also a bottom / mid-level / and top level swimmer, so it does move around quite a bit.

Albert

Margarita Snails - Tegula funebralis

Although these snails are offered for sale in our Hobby, and are very active algae eaters, the reason they are offered for sale, it is NOT a good idea to keep them in a Nano Reef because they originate from the Pacific California Coastal areas and and live in waters that are far cooler than what we maintain our aquariums at.

tegualmargarita.png

Even acclimating will not work as in the long run due to the higher temp of our Nanos they will slowly lose energy and eventually perish.

Note that in the wild they can live for decades but in our aquariums maybe a month or two.

It is best not to buy them as you will eventually lose them unfortunately.

Albert

Albert, I just got back from out to the east end of Long Island but the bays and inlets are iced over and I couldn't collect anything so I will have to wait until it thaws a little. It was 14 degrees when I went there. I don't think my marina is iced up so I will get there eventually to collect some stuff for your tank.

Paul

Albert, I just got back from out to the east end of Long Island but the bays and inlets are iced over and I couldn't collect anything so I will have to wait until it thaws a little. It was 14 degrees when I went there. I don't think my marina is iced up so I will get there eventually to collect some stuff for your tank.

Paul

Thanks Paul , no rush ... with those kind of temperatures it is indeed not possible to collect and I certainly would not want you to get frostbite or whatever when going into water that is that cold. .. whenever it warms up again ... take your time. Thanks for trying though.

Albert

jedimasterben

Do Marine Betta Fish eat small live fish that are in the Aquarium with Them : You bet they do !

Video

Albert

I have GOT to get me one of those. A species tank, of course. :)

I have GOT to get me one of those. A species tank, of course. :) --- Marine Betta

Yes for a species tank or with other large fish as its mouth is not all "that" large ... Great looking fish indeed that used to be quite popular many years ago and that was kept with for instance Panther Groupers, Lionfish, Tangs and the like.

Albert