Top Shelf Aquatics

GalaThoun's 10g

GalaThoun

How's he doing today? I hope he's not sick. I think brooklynella shows as a whitish powdery look. Hopefully it's not that!!!!!! His acclimation photos show him to be healthy. Bright orange and white coloring. Let us know!!!!!!

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How's he doing today? I hope he's not sick. I think brooklynella shows as a whitish powdery look. Hopefully it's not that!!!!!! His acclimation photos show him to be healthy. Bright orange and white coloring. Let us know!!!!!!

he is looking fine today :) back to his original color. i feed him some flakes and he ate some of that. imma hold off with the brine shrimp for now cause he's not intrested. i think i have to figure out a lighting schedule for my tank now. he favors the left side very much w/ the heater and powerehead. :lol: i'll keep u guys updated with everything.

another thing, my hermits seem to be very inactive. i think i lost one. i havent seen it in days. and the other seems to just stay in its shell. any advice?

That's great news about the fish!!!!!

As far as the hermits, they could be in the process of molting or just finished molting. Mine always hide for a couple of days before and after. Or just sit in their shell without moving for a couple of days. Sounds like normal hermit behavior to me.

That's great news about the fish!!!!!

As far as the hermits, they could be in the process of molting or just finished molting. Mine always hide for a couple of days before and after. Or just sit in their shell without moving for a couple of days. Sounds like normal hermit behavior to me.

okay good. i guess i just have extra lazy hermits. lol. i'm thinking about getting my clown fish a friend. any suggestions? he looks real lonely.

Watching this thread with great interest. I have my 10gal, JUST WAITING

cool. just waiting to start? or on the cycle? it took me 3 long weeks before i added anything but i wanted to do it right. good luck to you. and i'll be waiting on your build thread.

Looks great! I love the scape :happy:

Thanks.

Some more photos.

fts.jpg

Xenia growing nicely. And my little mushie. :D

DSC_0083.jpg

Zoa island.

DSC_0080.jpg

Louie the hermit.

DSC_0094.jpg

A little diy that took me all day. j/k

DSC_0104.jpg

Fts 6/16/12

DSC_0078.jpg

Ohhh Snap. Thats a great idea with the bread clips. never even thought of that.

haha yess...feel free to use it. i have an abundance of them at work. ;)

Do you plan on adding other fish?

i'm thinking another clown..but a black and white one. To give it that evil spiderman feel. hahah. and a yellow watchman goby- pistol shrimp cause i'm very intrested in watching them interact with each other. taking it real slow rite now. but i should be purchasing a good amount of coral frags soon.

Just some personal advice; carefully think about that pistol shrimp. If I could go back, I would have NEVER bought my pistol shrimp. He kicks sand all over my corals when he digs. There is also a possibility of falling rock due to this digging. Yes, the symbiotic relationship is very cool, but I personally don't think that it is worth the risk of losing some of your corals.

Just some personal advice; carefully think about that pistol shrimp. If I could go back, I would have NEVER bought my pistol shrimp. He kicks sand all over my corals when he digs. There is also a possibility of falling rock due to this digging. Yes, the symbiotic relationship is very cool, but I personally don't think that it is worth the risk of losing some of your corals.

The rock won't fall if you placed the rock prior to adding your sand. That's the best way to do it anyway, since the rock will be firmly in place on the flat bottom of the tank and won't have a risk of settling from any causes, let alone a pistol shrimp. In my opinion, my little pistol shrimp is really cool. Once he dug out his burrow he doesn't kick up any sand unless one of the hermits caves in his entryway by crawling over it. And even then, the sand kicking in minimal. if you get one, jut let it get settled and once you know where its burrow is, don't put any coral too close to the entrance and you won't have issues with sand getting kicked onto the coral.

The rock won't fall if you placed the rock prior to adding your sand. That's the best way to do it anyway, since the rock will be firmly in place on the flat bottom of the tank and won't have a risk of settling from any causes, let alone a pistol shrimp. In my opinion, my little pistol shrimp is really cool. Once he dug out his burrow he doesn't kick up any sand unless one of the hermits caves in his entryway by crawling over it. And even then, the sand kicking in minimal. if you get one, jut let it get settled and once you know where its burrow is, don't put any coral too close to the entrance and you won't have issues with sand getting kicked onto the coral.

That's nice that yours has settled in one spot. Mine has been in my tank for over a month now and he has managed to dig caves under every piece of rock. He's pretty big too so he kicks up quite a bit of sand when he digs. Completely covered half of one of my wellsos.

Is Louie the lazy one??? :lol:

Tank looks fabulous!!!!!! Those bread tab labels are ingenious!!!! I'm going to start saving mine for just that purpose :)

Is Louie the lazy one??? :lol:

Tank looks fabulous!!!!!! Those bread tab labels are ingenious!!!! I'm going to start saving mine for just that purpose :)

thanks gena! i helped one person on N-R, my mission is complete. lol. Sad news though. Louie died yesterday. I found his lifeless body on the sand bed outside of his shell. i tried to resuscitate him with a caprisun straw but it was too late. i don't know what happened. My other hermit and snails are more than active now and clownfish is swimming happily.

looks good man. nice scape, i'm a big fan of the minimalist looks. check out my 20 long i think you'll like it

thanks man. your tank looks awesome. send me some frags! hahah. I'll prob pick up a few tomorrow.

Awe...bummer. Are you sure it wasn't a molt? I've been fooled many times myself. If you have extra shells in your tank, it could have done a switcheroo. Otherwise, yep, it's probably dead :(

Awe...bummer. Are you sure it wasn't a molt? I've been fooled many times myself. If you have extra shells in your tank, it could have done a switcheroo. Otherwise, yep, it's probably dead :(

i was reading about molting yesterday interesting stuff. noo..been meaning to pick up some extra shells. well i'm on my way to the lfs to pick up King Louie II. lol. And maybe another clown....Juicy is lonely. pics up soon.

How are they getting along?

really well. funny thing is about 2 weeks ago these 2 were the only small clownfish at my lfs. I took one home and went there yesterday to see this guy all alone so i took him home too. When i dropped the new guy in the tank he looked at my 1st clown for a few seconds then they both took off swimming around. :lol:

Awe....cute story. I wonder if they remember each other???? I would say not, but you never know :happy:

I like to think that they do. It makes life just a little bit better. :P

Archived