inTank Media Baskets

GalaThoun's 10g

GalaThoun

northeastern

based on his checks there was a spike for sure. I would considered adding one soon, I can't help as to why you haven't seen a bloom but I would say its cycled if its back to 0's.

I have a similar set up as well. par30 and hob filter. Like said I'm itching to make my hob into a fuge (I haven't simply because of time...) and I've also seen that the corners of the tank are dark with a single par30, a second would be nice. very nice.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did your parameters ever spike? If not you need to wait longer and maybe try adding some frozen shrimp or flake fish food to produce some ammonia. The cycle needs to have an ammonia peak, followed by nitrites and then nitrates before everything goes to zero. That means you've got your nitrifying bacteria in place to handle the bioload when you start adding things.

If you did have a peak and now everything is zero, then you can probably consider adding the CUC. I'm surprised you don't have a diatom bloom though.

Yeah, about a week ago I had a spike in ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate. Now everything is back at zero. My water and rock is as clear as the first day I set everything up. No diatom bloom yet. I'm just worried if I add my cuc and they don't have anything to eat they might starve? Or do I feed them anything.

Yeah, about a week ago I had a spike in ammonia,nitrite, and nitrate. Now everything is back at zero. My water and rock is as clear as the first day I set everything up. No diatom bloom yet. I'm just worried if I add my cuc and they don't have anything to eat they might starve? Or do I feed them anything.

If you saw the spike then you should probably add your CUC. You've got a good point though about the feeding. You may want to throw in a bit of food for them every couple days if you're worried. It can't hurt anything. Then once you get your first fish, they'll eat the leftover food from feeding time.

Thanks for the info. I'm off tomorrow so I'll go pick up a few hermits and snails. Can't wait to finally see something moving in the tank. Haha. Also, should I do a water change before adding them?

based on his checks there was a spike for sure. I would considered adding one soon, I can't help as to why you haven't seen a bloom but I would say its cycled if its back to 0's.

I have a similar set up as well. par30 and hob filter. Like said I'm itching to make my hob into a fuge (I haven't simply because of time...) and I've also seen that the corners of the tank are dark with a single par30, a second would be nice. very nice.

I'm so close to purchasing another bulb/fixture. Haha. I'm waiting for that one night where I've had one too many beers and start shopping online. Lol. Whenever I start adding corals and see if they need a little bit more light I'll prob grab another one. I feel you about the fuge also. What u plan on having in there? I'll prob just have floss and chemipure for now. And how is that birdsnest doing under that one light?

I don't think 2 nanos are too much in my tank, but I attribute this largely to the way I scaped my rock. It's pretty full, and most of it is from one large, flat center piece that I HAD to have. By doing so, I've effectively separated my tank down the middle. So I use one nano in front, and one in the rear to keep the current moving and to not have any buildup in the rear. Here's a diagram to show what I mean.

2nanoMockup.jpg

With a more open scape I'm not sure that you would need a second one. I was told by the LFS that I wouldn't even need one 240, and that the smallest 100gph powerhead should be fine. However, from what I've seen on multiple forums, 240gph for a 10 gallon does the job. I wanted to be able to keep any coral I wanted, no matter the fickleness, so I opted for high light and an abundance of current.

This is my first saltwater tank, so I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

variable wave like flow is better for at least one.. check out spin stream or hydor wave device,,really helped deal with flow issue in my 10 g,,,flow placement similar to yours but i just have an old ph from an undergravel filter for the back and a rio600 (200gph) + spin stream...when flow is stationary it is much harder to set up ... now in 20g long...pretty good natural wave action for much of the tank, was even better in the10g..would be easy to hide on corner side of tank

post-71835-1338493257_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. I'm off tomorrow so I'll go pick up a few hermits and snails. Can't wait to finally see something moving in the tank. Haha. Also, should I do a water change before adding them?

A water change won't hurt anything, but its not necessary if your parameters are checking out. With a 10 gallon you'll probably need to do weekly water changes, so just get in a habit of doing that you you'll be good to go.

A water change won't hurt anything, but its not necessary if your parameters are checking out. With a 10 gallon you'll probably need to do weekly water changes, so just get in a habit of doing that you you'll be good to go.

I'm gonna do my first water change this weekend when i get the last of my wc equiptment. I just picked up a cuc and a small little zoa colony. will update in a bit with pics.

Params were straight this morning so headed to my lfs.

test8.jpg

Bags of air and water. lol.

cuccoral.jpg

cuccoral3.jpg

Picked up this small colony of zoas for $20. Not bad, I counted like 50+ heads. 2 different kinds.

Zoas starting to open.

zoa1.jpg

zoa5.jpg

Looks like its a nice little colony of radioactive dragon eye and eagle eye zoas. Nice find :)

Thanks, I literally looked at them until they opened. Haha. I never realized how small these zoas were. I guess seeing them everywhere on the net, most people shot them with a macro lens or something.

Yep, they're tiny little things. Most of the photos of them are pretty zoomed in or shot with a macro lens. Some of the palys are quite a bit bigger.

Yep, they're tiny little things. Most of the photos of them are pretty zoomed in or shot with a macro lens. Some of the palys are quite a bit bigger.

I've seen a few payls too, but i'm looking at the trumpet corals aka some candy cane corals I guess, to put in here, and prob some gsp. It's on the way to my work place so it's kinda hard not to stop by n not purchase any thing. Haha. But imma prob wait a few weeks till I add my clowns.

Exciting stuff! Tank is looking good, keep doing those parameter checks for a while and remember to start your water changes soon.

Definitely wait a few weeks for fish, make sure those zeroes stay as zeroes.

Will do a little later today. I just did a water change soo they're a little p/o rite now.

Some pics of the zoas opened.

zoaopen.jpg

zoaopen2.jpg

:D And some new coral I picked up today. Xenia I believe. They're still pissed from the car ride.

Pissedxenia.jpg

Pissedxenia2.jpg

:o It broke into four pieces. Can you see my freebie mushie? :P lol. It looks blue/green with stripes i think. Im gonna split it cause i don't want the xenia smothering it.

xenia.jpg

Keep an eye on those xenias and make sure they have some room. They grow very quick :)

I sure will. My tank is pretty much empty so they can have the upper left corner. Lol. I just attached two of them on one of my lr and I have two left. I'm keeping them in a container just in case someone else wants them.

Looks great! I liked seeing the progression of your cycle (the rainbow of colors) :)

Those perfectly round big holes in your rock are pretty awesome too!!!!! Do they go all the way through?

Looks great! I liked seeing the progression of your cycle (the rainbow of colors) :)

Those perfectly round big holes in your rock are pretty awesome too!!!!! Do they go all the way through?

Thank you so much! I love all your builds also, that 28g u got going looks very promising. Noo...unfortunately the holes don't go all the way through but makes a great hammock for my hermits. :D Haha.

You're welcome, and thank you :happy:

Hermit hammock :lol: Mine did the same in my NC. I had hoped the one center hole would become home to my tailspot blenny, but he never took an interest.

yay! just got my first fish a occelaris clownfish. still acclimating so pics up in a bit.

Awesome!!!!!! Is it an orange and white? They are cuties :) Looking forward to seeing yours!!!!!

i noticed my clown fish looking a little pale today. can anyone tell me whats going on? my parameters looks good. ph-8, and 0,0,0. i feed him some brine shrimp today and he didnt eat any.

Archived