Cultivated Reef

The First Voyage

CAmor07

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pics, Does anyone know why my mushroom shrunk, its sorta in the the shade, low flow. Im guessing its cause i movedd it a couple times

more

post-73232-1341017906_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341017919_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341017969_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341017977_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341017992_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341018000_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341018008_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341018015_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341018053_thumb.jpg

post-73232-1341018059_thumb.jpg

Other than the normal injunctions to check parameters and make sure everything is okay, it may just be a matter of patience. Some coral get pissy (and there is even variation within a type and even among the heads on the same piece of coral! I have a duncan with one head that will pout for DAYS when it's touched, long after the others have opened back up). Mushrooms tend to be pretty hardy, so give them time and patience, and they'll likely open back up. I only have a single zoa colony, and I didn't get it for 6 months, so have no idea what they might be like in a new tank :huh: -- sorry!

• 2 weeks later...

UpDATE: JULY 14

Just got back from vacation. Had my dad taking care of the tank and looks like he did a good job.

Im a bit upset tho, none of my zoas or palys are making babies, the only thing that is, is the GSP.

Tests

Amm and nitrite= 0

Nitrate 5-10

Alk 7

cal 360 ):

Cant understand how cal got so low and y my tank isnt sprouting new borns?

post-73232-1342309665_thumb.jpg

I have one clump of zoas that has never produced a new polyp despite seeming to be fine! OTOH, the acans, which took about a month to get warmed up, then started producing new heads like crazy as did the duncans. It was weeks before I saw any new growth on the duncans, but once they decided life was okay, they began producing new polyps -- the trumpet coral took a while as well. I think coral needs more time to adjust, get used to its new locale and environment before reproducing.

I have one clump of zoas that has never produced a new polyp despite seeming to be fine! OTOH, the acans, which took about a month to get warmed up, then started producing new heads like crazy as did the duncans. It was weeks before I saw any new growth on the duncans, but once they decided life was okay, they began producing new polyps -- the trumpet coral took a while as well. I think coral needs more time to adjust, get used to its new locale and environment before reproducing.

Makes me feel all better now,

Also after my wc my calcuim still came out at 380 ):, i dont understand hwo thats possible as the water i placed in the tank had like 500 calcuim. Whats eating it up so fast and should i start dosing with reef fusion.My alk is 8

Got some new stuff, colt coral or kenya tree not really sure and a green stripe mushroom, cleaner shrimp and scooter blenny

altolamprologus

Your tank is awfully young and small for a scooter. I hope you're prepared for the training and daily feedings.

Your tank is awfully young and small for a scooter. I hope you're prepared for the training and daily feedings.

100% right alto, I didnt research it enough and ended up getting told the wrong things by the lfs. But hopefully i can get it on brine or mysis or even pellets. :o

Although i have 250 pods coming this week which i guess will help greatly if training isnt working

altolamprologus
100% right alto, I didnt research it enough and ended up getting told the wrong things by the lfs. But hopefully i can get it on brine or mysis or even pellets. :o

Lucky for you, scooters are easy to train. Keep it in a net guppy breeder if you can and it should be eating frozen and pellets by next week.

Thank you for the help and atleast it wasnt a big mistake. Lesson learned lfs cant be trusted like everyone says

altolamprologus
Thank you for the help and atleast it wasnt a big mistake. Lesson learned lfs cant be trusted like everyone says

Some can be trusted, it just depends on who works there and who the owner is. If it's owned and run by hobbyists, they usually have the right advice. But if it's just business people or people who don't really know fish, they can tell you some bizarre things. Just take everything they say with a grain of salt and do your own research. Never buy anything on a whim. If you didn't know what it was before you walked into the store, don't get it.

altolamprologus
You make a very good point, also do you know why my calcuim is sorta so wacked out, and if i should dose

Your calcium isn't wacked out. It's in balance with your alk level. Just do a large water change with a quality reef salt and it should go up a bit

altolamprologus
My alk is 10 /:

Should my calcuim by higher than if my alks on the higher range

Oh I thought it was still 7. Just do a big water change. It's the equivalent of hitting the reset button

Some can be trusted, it just depends on who works there and who the owner is. If it's owned and run by hobbyists, they usually have the right advice. But if it's just business people or people who don't really know fish, they can tell you some bizarre things. Just take everything they say with a grain of salt and do your own research. Never buy anything on a whim. If you didn't know what it was before you walked into the store, don't get it.

+1000 -- Oooh, if only I'd actually taken this advice!! So true. I wonder if we don't all have to go through a developmental impulsive-buying stage before we finally get it right ;)?!

Archived