Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a 10K/yr raise.. w/20% bonus.. after it's approved.. I'm buying a dslr.. till then pg 8 will have to tide ya over for pics. Gotta pull all the tangs out for treatment for paravortex.

!@#$% :rant: !@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$%

I'll be doing a freshwater dip before they go into quarantine and treatment with prazipro. I'm not thrilled at all.. can't ya tell?

oh.. and my damn skimmer pump was making a terrible noise at 5am this morning... i'll have to figure out what that's all about. 3 year warranty I believe.. so we'll see how well coralvue's customer service is.

xXReefAwesomenessXx
Just got a 10K/yr raise.. w/20% bonus.. after it's approved.. I'm buying a dslr.. till then pg 8 will have to tide ya over for pics. Gotta pull all the tangs out for treatment for paravortex. !@#$% :rant: !@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% :rant:!@#$% I'll be doing a freshwater dip before they go into quarantine and treatment with prazipro. I'm not thrilled at all.. can't ya tell?
Good...Bad...Bad

How are your other fish and your corals?

That's life on the reef I guess. Other fish at the moment seem fine, but I dunno if this stuff just effects tangs or what.. i'm almost tempted to just treat the whole 180g tank.. based upon what i've seen, praziquantel is pretty much reef safe except for featherdusters

I decided to go with a freshwater dip for now as I haven't been able to get meds yet. I caught 2 of the tangs with a sabiki hook, one of the yellows and the purple. I shaved the barb off with the dremmel and baited with anything I could get to stay on the hook.. pieces of silversides, small pellets, and smushed spirulina flake. The yellow tang looks like he faired treatment rather well and a majority of the black spots are gone. The purple tang is stressed as can be. It was aimlessly swimming into things and is now resting on the bottom, upright, and labored breathing. I'll probably not put him through another freshwater bath in the future, but I'm not worried as of yet. The blue hippo is a smart bastard, he broke the hook off the first time and either swallowed or spit it, my guess is he spit it as he continually went and picked the food right off the hook for the next hour. Somehow he knew how not to get hooked this time. I'll have to outsmart him. I'll be going to a different tackle store tomorrow and see if they have even smaller hooks than what i could find at wal-mart. I really want to get the last yellow tang dipped and then I'll look into dosing the whole tank with API general cure (metronidazole and praziquantel). The other smaller fish (clowns and wrasses) don't appear to have it, but I don't see why this parasite would be particular to just tangs?

and thanks.. hopefully I don't have to use it to buy new fish :unsure:

purple tang is probably a goner.. I moved him to the sump to give him a shot as the cuc was starting to take interest. Must've been something seriously wrong for him not to handle a fw dip.

gulfsurfer101

That sucks to hear about your purple tang. I'm doing some research to set up a 135g and this tank has been very inspirational. It's been very helpful reading through your t thread.

Purple tang didn't make it. The only thing that pisses me off about this is that I pretty much paid LFS prices for these fish off a local club member just so I didn't have to put up with the disease bullshit.. Haven't gotten too attached to the fish yet, so that doesn't really bother me.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out where this came from, but all my research so far comes up that it primarily infects tangs. So since I got all my tangs from one source, with the exception of one that i've had for 6 months that was transfered from a clean tank.. i can pretty much pinpoint where it came from.

xXReefAwesomenessXx

Sucks about the purple tang they are awesome... But expensive so it sucks that you lost him feel sorry for you :(.Hopefully the other tangs pull through

Wasn't as expensive as he should've been, but I got the deal because I bought all his fish. I've ordered the 850g container of API general cure and 2 MR1 reactors and paid for overnight shipping, thankfully the right choice as I noticed my royal gramma scratching on the sand last night. The yellow tang that got dipped looks good, no spots. I figure though at this point there's no reason to try and catch the rest as the tank is already infected. I'll be damned if I'm going to tear down my rockwork. Sad to say, but I'd rather have them all die than mess up my aquascaping.

Ah the hobby.. how frustrating sometimes. My bubble blaster pump on my skimmer was making a terrible noise and woke me up at 5am..so I left it off for a couple days. Tried it again last night and no noise, so maybe a dwarf cerith made his way in there and was going round and round on the impeller wheel. We'll just have to wait and see what the deal is I guess. Under warranty so not a huge issue if I have to send it back.

I think about a month or so. Need to get my nitrate reactor online, but the API general cure is an antibacterial so no sense in starting that up just yet. I'm still puzzled as to why only certain things went south. Hawkins echinata and green slimer are both acros and they are growing. Birdsnests.. not so much right now. Some LPS is doing better than ever. Losing my favias.

I started the tank with microbacter, but I think it just hasn't had enough time to mature since I dumped in all the fish. Pretty heavy bioload. I'm gonna let the koralin s1502 sulfur denitrator do it's thing.

2nd dose of the API general cure in today. Coral and gorgonian still look fine as well as all snails, starfish, and still have tons of copepods crawling around. Gets my "reef safe" blessing. Looks like some of the black spots on the yellow tang are gone. It'll be another day or so until i can confirm they're gone as the spots aren't actually the flatworm, they're a skin reaction caused by the blood suckers.

Archived