Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a cool fish. Is that a flame wrasse?

Yep. I have a pair, but haven't gotten a pic of the female yet.

Awesome Tank, Love the purple tang.

I did too.. but he didn't survive a fw dip to remove parasites. Deciding if I want to replace him with another purple or a blonde naso.. not sure yet

Finished up the plumbing off my manifold for the barb fittings and my next reef MR1 reactors are online with phosban and carbon. I have been mounting all my corals to clear up the sandbed and having a helluva time.. Super glue gel isn't holding, even if I glob it on and go straight for the spot where I want. Fak.. so I picked up some putty (Devcon marine & plastic putty) and did a glue/putty sammich but the shit has made my skimmer unuseable for the past week it's reacting so bad. I go to check on the hammer coral I mounted and the putty isn't even hard.. wtf!!! Says it cures in fresh or saltwater..I soooper pissed. Other than using a different type of putty, i'm not doing anything different than I always have..

lnglostsurfer

Wow....I just read through all 11 pages of this thread. I really wish I had the money (and permanent residence) to do a tank this big. It's so much work but big tanks are so amazing. My old boss had a 260 that I used to brown nose and find reasons to invite myself over just to stare at. So impressive. Sorry about all the issues you've had but it really is an amazing tank. You've done a hell of a job good sir. Even though it was a purple tang....one loss isn't too shabby over the span of time that you've had everything going. Good luck in the future!

Sometimes I attempt to go back and read through it again, but usually end up having to stop after the first couple pages as I don't want to be reminded of how much work went into this thing :P , but I'm proud of it and I did it all myself. I don't see how it could be any better.. aside from being stocked full of SPS.. which it's headed that route. It's all been worth it..

lnglostsurfer

Combination of beer and smoking my "tobacco" pipe. Plus the lady is out of town which doesn't help. Plus it really is a great looking tank, I envy people who can have tangs and not get arrested by the police...

Lol, you bored much?

Definitely a lot of blood, sweat, and beer went into the makings of this tank. It's now at the 6 month mark and I still don't have a handle on things just yet.. Just bleached a chalice that's been in somewhat of the same spot for months so it's been moved to a shadier spot. Definitely will have to focus on higher lighting corals for now. The sps will have to grow to provide shade for the coral that need lower lighting as I don't have much for shady spots. Even though there's a ton of ledges, it is a gradual slope to the back of the tank leaving most of the rock exposed. I'm hitting 300 par at the sandbed so burn baby burn.. there are some spots in the back, like where the torch is that is only getting about 150.. but i don't want to put my nice chalices in the back where I can't see them! Some tabling acros would be saweet and would let me put the expensive echinophyllia's on the rock ledge below it.

Blubbernaut

It's now at the 6 month mark and I still don't have a handle on things just yet..

Don't worry, you should be able to get a grip on things in bout 27 years....

burn baby burn..

That's what I say when I see a pic of aiptasia.

So fingers crossed.. black ich is gone. Carefully watching my flame wrasses though.. might not have spent enough time in quarantine. The fun never ends. Nitrates are down to about half of what they were. Phosphates are .10 or less. Still too high but not having a think coating of green algae on the glass. Didn't have to feed the tangs for a few days as this stuff was coming off in sheets.. nothing like the taste of freshly grown algae. Everyones got a super fat belly. Have a couple chalices that are receding/bleaching.. still can't run my skimmer... f'n epoxy.. Bought more super glue gel and decided not to be so stingy with the glue so having better luck sticking things down. Late for a date with a hose and a bucket so time to get movin on the water change.

On order... large mag rock.. Apex lsm.. time to get some mood lighting up in the hizzy..

I have this long acrylic feeding stick that I really haven't been using for much of anything. Well I got the bright idea that I can just break off part of the loop where you grip it and use it to put into the screw hole on the bottom of my par meter. Worked perfect and now I dont have to try and get my hands out of the way to get a good reading.

54edd476-8209-4cfd-88af-8be220fd9ed8_zps

Well in my case.. it means I'll be considering swapping to 175w bulbs. High light SPS should be getting around 500 par with only some species peaking at 700. I don't have the luxury of raising my lights. Canopy is already extra tall. Currently my lights are about 10" off the water and could use to be about 6" higher. So without being able to raise them, i'll have to lower the wattage.

My LFS needs to get off his arse and hurry up and order me my lunar sim module, new ballasts, mag rock, and bulbs.. take my money already!!!

Blubbernaut

My LFS needs to get off his arse and hurry up and order me my lunar sim module, new ballasts, mag rock, and bulbs.. take my money already!!!

xD That's too good...

Did my last water change with tropic marin bioactif. Ordered 3 boxes of reef crystals..$54 ea free shipping. Hoping there will be some easter sales so I can get my new ballasts/bulbs. Never got a call back from LFS with pricing.. so if he ordered the stuff.. too bad.

Archived