Innovative Marine Aquariums

Wholotta wawa - 180G Reef - Taste the Rainbow

MikeTR

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your disease troubles. Hopefully everyone else fully recovers.

The tank looks great and congrats on the raise!

I guess it's only fitting. I had to deal with ich when I got my gramma and male clown 4 years ago when setting up my first tank. They recovered with hypo. I've been extremely careful since.. I'll definitely add some more precautions now. Maybe that new preventative dip.. formalin is another treatment for this stuff so would have saved me.

Very nice tank! I think you should eventually get a mandarin dragonette.

Thanks.. I do have a mandarin, but no pics of him yet. He came along with the rest of the fish I bought. Tank was still young so I went pod hunting in my frag tank every weekend for a month to get the population going. I checked last night to see if I could find any as I was concerened they might not handle the meds, but there was plenty so looks like the population is self sustainable.

You defiantly did not get any diseases form my fish, happy nothing happened to him.

He was and still looks to be good to go, but he's not in the clear yet. Saw some new spots on the yellow tang that I dipped that had previously looked clean. That's discouraging. We had our local club meeting at a member's house that bought a larger sailfin tang from the same guy and I swear I saw a few of the black spots on all his tangs also. Doesn't look like it's become a problem like mine yet though. His are in a 300g full SPS reef.

Reefmaster1996

Nice system you got their having a heavy duty rinsing sink would make my day, it reduces maintenance time significantly because you can do whatever you want in it with no worries.

I do have a mandarin, but no pics of him yet. He came along with the rest of the fish I bought. Tank was still young so I went pod hunting in my frag tank every weekend for a month to get the population going. I checked last night to see if I could find any as I was concerened they might not handle the meds, but there was plenty so looks like the population is self sustainable.

PIIIIIIIIIIICS plz :)

PIIIIIIIIIIICS plz :)

I need some cooperation from the fish.. he's a bit more interested in pods than a photo op. Since i've had him, only once has he stayed by the glass for any extended time to let me really observe him.

Reefmaster1996

In the video it looks as if the yellow tangs are doing some sort of mating/courtship ritual, although you would need at least a 4 ft deep tank to successfully breed them, and even then many breeders are still having trouble.

^She's beautiful! It's a she right? I'll just assume so, since I don't see the elongated fin ray. ANYYYWAAY, I like how her eye has a red band. I'm very jealous, but also know that I should never get one.... :(

redwhiteandblue

^She's beautiful! It's a she right? I'll just assume so, since I don't see the elongated fin ray. ANYYYWAAY, I like how her eye has a red band. I'm very jealous, but also know that I should never get one.... :(

one of the perks of a large reef tank for sure. id miss mine if i ever went back to a nano

although even if i had a small tank, i would attempt to train one in a QT to eat prepared food, if it didnt work, i would donate to a local reef club

They are beautiful. I want a mandy, but I'll never have a large reef tank, I spend too much on my Nano as is. Maybe after the current iteration of my nano matures more and I get some free time I'll start breeding food and give it a go.

I've read quite a bit about them.. but I've not the time to train it and was hesitant to even take it. It's been 2 months and the pod population hasn't dwindled so my hopes are up. I'll post some pics from time to time so I can keep an eye out for starvation.

still dealing with black ich.. so far the praziquantel hasnt been effective. Supposed to be a 4 day treatment, i went 6 with an added dose and then waited an extra day before adding carbon and then still didnt get around to a water change for yet another day after that.

paravortex.. i salute you.. 1bffc341.gif

So after all this research and trying to figure out the best course of action.. all signs lead back to prazipro. It's a liquid form of praziquantel and contains a higher dose than the API general cure does, so maybe I've not dosed at high enough strength to be totally effective. Also read that it can take up to 24 hours for the powder form of praziquantel to fully dissolve so that may also contribute to the ineffectiveness? I dunno.. Going to dose enough prazipro for 180g which is definitely more volume than I have, but I've read quite a few accounts from those that have dosed twice the recommended amount without problems.

Still haven't gotten around to dosing. I need to let the skimmer run for a few more days to suck out more of the organics. Rough not having it run for 8 days and the last 2 it just overflowed constantly from the prior dosing so now it's just gettin back to skimming good. Water quality has suffered a bit. I picked up some new additions which are in the frag tank/quarantine. A cleaner wrasse which is eating mysis, a small group of chromis and two cleaner shrimp. The cleaner wrasse was scratching.. thankful for quarantine. Looks like I'll be treating him for something. Have to find out what it is though. Flame wrasses came out of quarantine and went into the 180 tonight. I was expecting the established ruby wrasse to harrass them a bit but he was very peaceful and just hung out with them behind the rocks. Surprised and relieved.

Archived