Coral Vue Hydros

Captive bred frogfish ***Eggs hatched 4/19!

CoralWhisperer

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoralWhisperer

• Bongo Shrimp

• Euphyllia

• altolamprologus

Bongo Shrimp

You know what a cool idea would be? What if you took some bright colored plastic something and put it in with the babies? You could see if they start changing color and they could play on it :P.

But seriously.

Just saw this

Congrats

Real cool

Hello all, havent been posting much here lately...

And I got banned from that "other reef forum" for using the medically and politically correct word "vagina".

So Ive decided to share this with you all, I know some of you can appreciate this...

Little background....

Started with one marblemouth frogfish, it turned out to be a female that ended up producing an egg mass...

The eggs sat on the bottom and were subsequently ingnored bt the fish.

So I went to all my LFSs, and bought up all the Lophiocharon lithinostoumus I could find....

Apparently, I was successful in finding a male...

This is after about 3 weeks of the male and female together...

Enjoy, and please give me your support, this is gonna be a first for the hobby!!!

Update #1 from sunday nite

Update #2 from monday nite

A brief tour of my frogfish system

I am ready to go with rearing tanks and also have a multi-bottle brineshrimp hatchery going to produce tiny food for the babies, if any.

These fish hatch into fully-formed and functional baby fish, mini versions of the adults with no planktonic or larval stage.

Can I get some good luck wishes please???

:D

CoralWhisperer
Bumping for updates!

In this case, no news is good news!

Still no losses other than the ones that got ate, none have just died...

Im thinkin about ordering some live mysis from the link Raywhisperer gave on my octopus thread.

They are just the teeniest tiniest bigger this week than last...

Everything is lookin good!

I have to move their tank tomoro so I can get my carpet installed in that room.

CoralWhisperer

Ok, so my buddy lent me his camera but its not much better than mine...

Today is 5-12-12 and its

for the little baby frogfish!
Ok, so my buddy lent me his camera but its not much better than mine...

Today is 5-12-12 and its

for the little baby frogfish!

Onice. They small, they small. :)

• 2 weeks later...
CoralWhisperer

A quick update...

the babies are 5 weeks old at this point, and there have been some developements...

They have eaten themselves down to a manageable number.

Instead of 125+ little ones from last week, I now have around 80-90 bigger ones.

This weekend Ill transfer all the frogfish and tankmates over to the new system, and I think Ill continue to keep these guys in groups that have both bigger ones and smaller ones, so they can continue to increase in size while decreasing in numbers.

This cannabilism is for the best, imo, because it keeps them well-fed which I cant seem to do well enough...

I got a tank ready in the new system that has 8 small compartments, so Ill put mixed-sized groups of 12 in each till I run out of babies...

Oh, and I did find one lone dead baby this week, unknown causes...

• 4 weeks later...
A quick update...

the babies are 5 weeks old at this point, and there have been some developements...

They have eaten themselves down to a manageable number.

Instead of 125+ little ones from last week, I now have around 80-90 bigger ones.

This weekend Ill transfer all the frogfish and tankmates over to the new system, and I think Ill continue to keep these guys in groups that have both bigger ones and smaller ones, so they can continue to increase in size while decreasing in numbers.

This cannabilism is for the best, imo, because it keeps them well-fed which I cant seem to do well enough...

I got a tank ready in the new system that has 8 small compartments, so Ill put mixed-sized groups of 12 in each till I run out of babies...

Oh, and I did find one lone dead baby this week, unknown causes...

so any anomalies or extra cuties?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
Ahazlnutrose

Hello! Our frogfish surprised us with eggs four days ago. She is the only one we have. Some eggs are turning white. We cannot get a good look at them because they are on bottom of tank. What now? If we are blessed with Littles, what do they eat? Grateful for any help.

• 6 months later...

Just want to say I love this thread lol. Buddy gets up on his high horse about everything then bails tail tucked when it fails and can’t even update anyone. I would think if he actually had cared about breeding these more than his ego he would have continued posting.