inTank Media Baskets

Captive bred frogfish ***Eggs hatched 4/19!

CoralWhisperer

CoralWhisperer

Hello all, havent been posting much here lately...

And I got banned from that "other reef forum" for using the medically and politically correct word "vagina".

So Ive decided to share this with you all, I know some of you can appreciate this...

Little background....

Started with one marblemouth frogfish, it turned out to be a female that ended up producing an egg mass...

The eggs sat on the bottom and were subsequently ingnored bt the fish.

So I went to all my LFSs, and bought up all the Lophiocharon lithinostoumus I could find....

Apparently, I was successful in finding a male...

This is after about 3 weeks of the male and female together...

Enjoy, and please give me your support, this is gonna be a first for the hobby!!!

Update #1 from sunday nite

Update #2 from monday nite

A brief tour of my frogfish system

I am ready to go with rearing tanks and also have a multi-bottle brineshrimp hatchery going to produce tiny food for the babies, if any.

These fish hatch into fully-formed and functional baby fish, mini versions of the adults with no planktonic or larval stage.

Can I get some good luck wishes please???

:D

Edited by CoralWhisperer
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoralWhisperer

• Bongo Shrimp

• Euphyllia

• altolamprologus

I think they must have hired some certified kittenbags with a large vocabulary to moderate that forum. LOL, I got a six month ban from that reef forum for saying the price I got my purple hornets for. They claimed I was "gauging" (whatever that means) and crap about my hornets trying to get people to buy them.

CoralWhisperer

Yeah euphy, I was crackin a joke and used the word vagina instead of "P_ssy", and a mod gave me a warning, I replied with an "LOL", and he replied back that he "didnt like my attitude", and that I "have one more chance to try and appease his almighty anger" from such a terrible and ugly word.

I left it alone, and the next day I was banned.

Its been a week now....

If they ever let me back on Im sending the main man an email telling him how one of his moderators caused this thread to be posted here instead f there.

I dont care what anybody says, Im makin fishtank history with these frogfish right here in my bedroom.

Nobody has been successful in rearing these fish, Imma change that...

Enough soapboxin, how you guys like them fish eggs?????

If they ever let me back on Im sending the main man an email telling him how one of his moderators caused this thread to be posted here instead f there.

I dont care what anybody says, Im makin fishtank history with these frogfish right here in my bedroom.

Nobody has been successful in rearing these fish, Imma change that...

Are you sure they've never been reared before?

10494_20080309082802.jpg

http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewto...=155&t=2185

Bongo Shrimp
Are you sure they've never been reared before?

10494_20080309082802.jpg

http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/viewto...=155&t=2185

Yeah I was interested in breeding them at one time and there are several people out there who have done it and a lot who have gotten close. Look on mofib for a lot of good techniques.

If it helps I remember reading about one guy in the UK who for sure did it and another was in I think Turkey?

Edited by Bongo Shrimp
CoralWhisperer

Right, so Ive seen that, and I believe Ive spoken with that person unknowingly...

You notice the post ends at day 11post hatch....

I know of one other person that got babies to hatch, but they all died except the one he found a yr later when tearing down his tank...

days after he found it and started messin with it, it was dead.

You google "captive bred frogfish", let me know where I can purchase one ;)

Bongo Shrimp
Right, so Ive seen that, and I believe Ive spoken with that person unknowingly...

You notice the post ends at day 11post hatch....

I know of one other person that got babies to hatch, but they all died except the one he found a yr later when tearing down his tank...

days after he found it and started messin with it, it was dead.

You google "captive bred frogfish", let me know where I can purchase one ;)

The public aquariums don't sell their fish. One of the aquariums in CA did it a few years ago. I'll look for the article.

Bongo Shrimp
Even if it has been done before, it's still awesome! Good luck to you. You have a long journey ahead :)

Oh yeah it is. I wasn't trying to belittle that. Just trying to help so you are successful. If you do get fry, maybe try some with the green water technique and some with bbs or rotifers?

altolamprologus
Oh yeah it is. I wasn't trying to belittle that. Just trying to help so you are successful. If you do get fry, maybe try some with the green water technique and some with bbs or rotifers?

I didn't mean it like that, just saying it's really cool either way :)

I agree with bongo. A mix of greenwater, rotifers, baby brine, and even copepods if you can would give the babies a good shot at survival.

Very cool... you should ask a mod to move this thread from General into Aquaculture.

Please be sure to document your progress I know there's many of us that would be following along.

And plus don't be discouraged if you loose the first batch. It's a learning curve all breeders go through (usually).

LOL... some more then others!

CoralWhisperer

seriously, Im not taking offense...

Find that article, I wanna see it.

Dont think I havent done my research.

And Bongo, Ive bought and sold frogs(the terrestrial kind) from the Ca Academy of Sciences in SF.

I havent seen anything from turkey or besides the article above(and thats from Japan, do you guys have any inclination what the japanese is doing with rare and exotic animals.... I wouldnt be surprised if there are piebald and albino frogfish is japan. they can do things we only dream of over there...) and the case I mentioned.

I will gladly and humbly retract my statement if proven wrong.

And either way, it is still VERY exciting to me and I hope I am successful.

To me, being able to produce captive bred species for the hobby is the ultimate.

Ive done it with frogs, snakes, lizards, and tarantulas/inverts, nothing brings me more satisfaction.

Its not about being the first, its about being successful.

Aint nothin pissin on this parade!

You find that article yet?

I really do wanna see it....

I dont want you guys to be excited FOR me...

I want you to be excited WITH me!!!

This kinda stuff really makes me bounce off the walls with excitement, and sharing it all makes it THAT much better!

Edited by CoralWhisperer
Bongo Shrimp
seriously, Im not taking offense...

Find that article, I wanna see it.

Dont think I have done my research.

And Bongo, Ive bought and sold frogs(the terrestrial kind) from the Ca Academy of Sciences in SF.

I havent seen anything from turkey or besides the article above and the case I mentioned.

I will gladly and humbly retract my statement if proven wrong.

And either way, it is still VERY exciting to me and I hope I am successful.

To me, being able to produce captive bred species for the hobby is the ultimate.

Ive done it with frogs, snakes, lizards, and tarantulas/inverts, nothing brings me more satisfaction.

Its not about being the first, its about being successful.

Aint nothin pissin on this parade!

You find that article yet?

I really do wanna see it....

I dont want you guys to be excited FOR me...

I want you to be excited WITH me!!!

This kinda stuff really makes me bounce off the walls with excitement, and sharing it all makes it THAT much better!

I'm looking. it was back before I got my old angler Rogue and it was one of those links on a forum to a link to a link and it was in a different language and I used google translator. I'm trying to find it.

CoralWhisperer
good luck!!!! :D

itt sounds great! can you tell us a bit about the setup?

So its a 44g divided tank, cpr cy194 as sump with external pump.

I made the rear overflows and drilled the tank, divider was there already.

That tank is about to go onto a new stand I built that holds 3 tanks that are divided in various sized sections.

By friday I hope to have 15 sections in 3 tanks with a total of about 125 gallons as its own system, plumbed to a bigger sump with a bigger external pump and a huge skimmer.

I do not feed my anglers ANY freshwater foods, I have ghostshrimps I acclimated to SW and they been thriving and breeding for me for months, I feed these shrimps only marine flakes/foods, and I use those to train my new anglers to eat frozen stuff off tongs and sticks.

I have 4 marblemouths, and 5 other anglers of various species, and these marble mouths are by far the easiest to get trained, takes like less than 5 tries usually and they never look back.

I think the key with frogfish is to never feed them freshwater foods, even in a pinch a damsel is better than a goldfish....

All my anglers eat any bit I offer from those frozen "seafood medley" bags from safeway...

Frozen squid is another favorite of theirs, and my "saltwater" ghostshrimps as something to stimulate activity in otherwise lazy fish.

I got lucky( :( ) with my equipment in that my buddys LFS unfortunately closed in January, so I got a couple useful divided tanks and some great used equipment.

Bongo Shrimp
So its a 44g divided tank, cpr cy194 as sump with external pump.

I made the rear overflows and drilled the tank, divider was there already.

That tank is about to go onto a new stand I built that holds 3 tanks that are divided in various sized sections.

By friday I hope to have 15 sections in 3 tanks with a total of about 125 gallons as its own system, plumbed to a bigger sump with a bigger external pump and a huge skimmer.

I do not feed my anglers ANY freshwater foods, I have ghostshrimps I acclimated to SW and they been thriving and breeding for me for months, I feed these shrimps only marine flakes/foods, and I use those to train my new anglers to eat frozen stuff off tongs and sticks.

I have 4 marblemouths, and 5 other anglers of various species, and these marble mouths are by far the easiest to get trained, takes like less than 5 tries usually and they never look back.

I think the key with frogfish is to never feed them freshwater foods, even in a pinch a damsel is better than a goldfish....

All my anglers eat any bit I offer from those frozen "seafood medley" bags from safeway...

Frozen squid is another favorite of theirs, and my "saltwater" ghostshrimps as something to stimulate activity in otherwise lazy fish.

I got lucky( :( ) with my equipment in that my buddys LFS unfortunately closed in January, so I got a couple useful divided tanks and some great used equipment.

Some people need to understand how detrimental it can be to their health. Good to see you are keeping them healthy.

CoralWhisperer

Before the ghostshrimp....

Ive bought my lfs out of peppermint shrimp once...

Ive paid like 60$ for 4 cleaner shrimps as feeders....

Ive put over 30 damsels in there(down to 3 and no more after that)...

The cleanup crews consist of mostly frogfish-edible crustaceans(emerald crabs, purple lobsters, camel shrimps)...

I have 7 dancing camel shrimps(the coral-eating kind) that Im trying to breed for feeders as well, 2 males and 5 females who all have eggs(tho this might be a project in and of itself, worthy of its own thread ;) )

I take better care of these fish than I do myself!

At this point, if I had to tear down my 75g reef to catch my coralbanded shrimp just to feed an angler one last time, Id probably do it with a smile on my face...

now this, this is pretty cool. dunno if i'm the only one who gets grossed out at the sight of eggs though. neat little buggers though.. good luck with growing them, do you just feed them like mysis when they hatch or what goes on

Very interesting thread. It's cool to see someone else with this ugly frog fish. I agree about them being the easier ones to feed. Ours will walk to his food pretty quickly. Have you ever witnessed your frogs eating any crabs? Our marblemouth and pictus let hermits emerald crabs walk all over their face. What I'm really surprised about is that we have a coral banded shrimp who's been living with them for a year. Sometimes i'll catch the cbs pinching their faces.

Edited by phasezero
CoralWhisperer

@phasezero...

My frogfish live with camel shrimps, emerald crabs, and purple reef lobsters.

In the very beginning, my 1st marblemouth ate a crab and a camelshrimp.

Now none of my anglers even look sideways at the crustaceans they live with.

Everything in with the anglers is in fact edible to them, my theory is that they are just too fat and lazy....

Its all I can to get them to chase ghostshrimp.

My anglers love their frozen foods, almost too much...

For all the talk about anglers eating anything that fits in their mouths, Ive always had much better luck feeding them small pieces/food items.

Ex: a full squid head with all tentacles they wont eat, but cut thte same squid head in half and they are all over it...

CoralWhisperer

The eggs are hatching RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im off to the lfs to get some breeder nets, these guys are fricken TINY!!

Guys, Im like a kid in a candy factory right now.

Ill be back later with more details!