Top Shelf Aquatics

Captive bred frogfish ***Eggs hatched 4/19!

CoralWhisperer

CoralWhisperer

So, itsa crappy picture I know....

But I dont want to stress these teenytiny babies any more, itsa only there first day in the world and the free-swimmers have already been in and out of a turkey baster....

I put the eggmass and all the free-swimmers I could catch into a breeder net for now.

Theres a few more free-swimmers that got into the rocks, but Ill just leave them and see what happens, prolly like 5 or 6 got away from me...

They are poppin out of the eggs constantly, especially when/if I moved the mass(which I did to collect it and not doin any more).

So, I went in and peeked at the anglers just as i was leaving, saw the eggs sittin on the floor and no longer attached to moms...

I panicked, started makin a soda bottle air-powered hatchery similar to brine shrimp.

Went to go scoop up the eggmass with a cup to place in hatchery, and the babies just started poppin out like popcorn!

I was beside myself, here I thought I was gonna lose them all and be all disappointed...

I got brine shrimp bubblin, and the tank is overrun with various pods as there is no pod-predators in there and I feed the tank heavy.

This is VERY EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

041912160932-2.jpg

I know, crappy pic.... Gimmi a day or 2...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CoralWhisperer

• Bongo Shrimp

• Euphyllia

• altolamprologus

CoralWhisperer

I gotta USB microscope I used to take pics of my tarantula slings with, Ill dig it out tonite and get some really closeup shots.

The babies are like 1/3 of a pencil eraser in size, if not smaller...

Theres gotta be at least 150-200 of them....

altolamprologus

Congrats! This is really awesome :) Make sure you keep this thread update regularly. You should also go on marinebreeder.org and share your experience there

CoralWhisperer

They are still comin out....

The ones that are out are wiggling all over the place.

Heres some pics, Ill try to geta vid up on YT in a bit...So my microscope would be perfect, but for some reason i cant find the software or the cd for it.

041912232008.jpg

041912231916.jpg

041912231759.jpg

041912232415.jpg

Wow, this is so awesome! They remind me of little tadpoles! :)

Woot, exciting!! Keep us posted with ALL of your updates!

Also: Lol about the vagina word getting you banned. I never knew why some people feel the need to power-trip (whether it be a mod or your boss), I think those people just feel very insignificant and insecure. You got to admit though, they are amusing as hell.

Edited by Miss Nano
altolamprologus

You know how baby fish are called fry? Well I vote for baby frogfish being called tadpoles :D

Should try this with wartskins.

That would be awesome

CoralWhisperer

The reason this is even a possibilty with this particular type of frogfish is that Lophiocharon sp hatch out as mini-fish, they do not have a larval phase like the Antennarius species do.

These fish are wayy cooler than wartskins, imo.

You know how baby fish are called fry? Well I vote for baby frogfish being called tadpoles :D

That would be awesome

2nd. K, two votes make it official. All baby frogfish must now be referred to solely as tadpoles. :)

Edited by Miss Nano
CoralWhisperer

They all are hatched out at this point, and all still alive!

I added some pod-filled cheato to the breeder net, and been giving a squirt of fresh hatched brine shrimp every couple hrs.

I think i see them chasing food, but I dunno for sure, I know some look nice and fat and round, and some dont.

I think adult brine shrimps are way to big right now, and I been furiously bubbling 4 BS hatcheries.

As a side note, the babies all are pretty much hanging out in the chaeto clump, I pulled it from my reef sump and it was nice and compact and chock full of pods.

I kinda spread it out some when I put it in the breeder net and the frogfish fry are crawling all around in it like pods themselves.

If I turn the clump they all dart out, then right back in.

Im hopin the fat round babies are the ones that hatched the first day and thusly already started eating, while the skinny ones are the late hatchers and still soakin up that yolk.

The egg mass is completely empty, it looks like every single egg hatched.

I pulled out the leftovers, and it looks pretty much like a gelatinous mass, and reminds me of a small jellyfish washed up on the beah...

Things are progressing fairly smoothly and routinely, for something Ive never done before.....

altolamprologus

That's awesome. I'm glad to see they're still alive. Have you seen this brine shrimp hatcher? It hatches brine without any light, heat or aeration in less than 24 hours. Mine usually hatch in 10-12 hours and hatchrate is about 90%. One batch continues hatching for a few days. It might make hatching brine for your babies easier.

CoralWhisperer

Fillin up my new system now, yesterday was tapwater leak-check day and now I got the rodi running straight to it.

Gonna cheat the cycle by using all established sand and rock cause I gotta get this thing going for the baby anglers.

Its got 2 tanks, on 2 levels, top tank is split into 3 sections and bottom tank is split into 8 small sections.

Huge skimmer, external pump, T5 lighting, everything was 100% free(cept the lectricity to run it).

Itsa nice lil setup if I do say, these tanks were actually gonna be a QT system I was gonna build tjust to sell but now I need the space.

I wanted to add a 3rd tank(the split one the frogfish are in now) but I wouldnt be able to reach in to it easily, so I decided against it.

The babies are still at it and doin good!

I had to fire up the chiller last night, as summer just hit in Sacramento like a Mack Truck, and the water temps got up to about 85 yesterday.

I gotta get my basement fishroom sheetrocked so I can put my 3 systems down there where it stays nice and cool, imagine having to run a heater during a sacramento summer.....

Anyways, if I dont get heatstroke today, Im thinkin bout makin another vid tonite, if not Ill do a vid during the transfer in the next couple days...

042212144313.jpg

Edited by CoralWhisperer
RayWhisperer

Good luck with the frogfish. Hope everything works out for you.

PM me if you would like this thread moved to the aquaculture forum.

CoralWhisperer
Good luck with the frogfish. Hope everything works out for you.

PM me if you would like this thread moved to the aquaculture forum.

Thankyou!

Honestly, I posted it in general so that as many people as possible can find it.

Without jinxin myself, I want people to see this!

In ALL honesty, I started a thread on RC about this, but the moderator BrianD over there has a "holier-than-thou" attitude and banned me because he is superior to me because he is a moderator... blah blah, BLAH(I could go on and on).

But I think Im done with that forum, and cant wait till my timeout is over so I can tell BrianD exactly what I think of him and his no-life-having-a$$.... I also want to go back and see if I can delete/edit all my posts about my frogfish breeding project.

I joined NR back when I got back into reefing after a lengthy break, and I shoulda just stuck here.

This forum is so much more relaxed and member-friendly(tho I remember Raywhisperer didnt used to like me) and Even tho they arent posting replies, I have a feeling the people that I want to see this are seeing it.

Long-story short, RCs mods messed it up for the site and they can continue to post about basic aquarium stuff over there all they like.

I got my pride(or EGO?????) fosho....

Edited by CoralWhisperer