Cultivated Reef

How many clams do you have?

ZephNYC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did u grow the 30" and 20" or did you buy them that size..

Holy Crap thats epic!

GEEZ LOUISE!! I dont know where to start!!!

Ive had my babies for 5 years, they have been growing about 1 inch per year. And let me tell you Kat is right that they dont close. I had to move one the other day to a bigger tank and it refused to close, even out of the water its mantle was flopped all the way down it was a MESS and weighed about 100 lbs. But its all happy now in a 210.

Halcyonism, actually never, they almost never even move accept they slowwwwwly close about half way over night. They have coughed a few times for sure but it wasnt that bad.

Welcome to the forums zeph...and I appreciate your help with the clam. It didn't make it. However I did a lot more research regarding iron and perkinsis and the findings were...well awesome ;)

Hi Decko, Sorry you lost the clam, but join the club. If I told you how many I lost you wouldnt even believe me. But things are good now and the system is starting up again hopefully clean. If you dont have any clams in your tank anymore wait at least two months to be sure the pathogen has died out. Keep in touch!

I beg to differ! Your baby ponies are in a nano. What about the QT tank, that is a nano. And the regal angel, he's sitting ALL LONELY in a nano. Your main system is 500G fine but you have nano's! Maybe we can set you up a pico and REALLY test your reef keeping skillz. heheheh

Also, email the pics to me, I'll post em up for ya.

The regal is in a 55!! But I do want to set up a 30 gal nano and pack it with like 50 little clams. Julian Sprung you to do that it was insane.

Hey..How hard do you think I laughed when a coordinator at Coney Island Aquarium called me and asked if I would DONATE my giant clams to their facility. ROFLMAO!!!

:o

You won't believe me if I told you. He does not dose.

Although he told me a story about clam farms in vietnam, how the workers there take a piddle in the clam streams......

:haha::flower:

J/K

this is true..I do not dose anything. I call it caveman style - CHEMICALS BAD! WATER CHANGES GOOD! I just add buffer every morning, and thats it. THat system gets water changes any where from 5 - 30 gal. daily.

I have problems with smaller clams every time I start adding artificial calcium. I know every one else does it just fine, but every time I start adding it the clams start to close up. My Ca + stays around 420. Im going to try a calcium reactor, but you cant get co2 tanks in NY so its a pain. Good thing Kat lives in NJ <wink>.

LOl..this is true..if you had nothng but clams in your tank, the best thing you can do for them is to add AMMONIA. Yes I said it AMMONIA!!! Clams LOVE low levels of ammonia. I have pictures of clam farmers in Vietnam, or maybe its Fiji I forget - peeing in the receways.

I am expirimenting with new clam foods too....wait till you hear what I will be bowl feeding small clams, you wont believe it.

Hi Decko, Sorry you lost the clam, but join the club. If I told you how many I lost you wouldnt even believe me. But things are good now and the system is starting up again hopefully clean. If you dont have any clams in your tank anymore wait at least two months to be sure the pathogen has died out. Keep in touch!

I'm sure man - yea I won't be adding any new clams until the new tank is setup. Which will be later this year so hopefully I can avoid it - I'll probably buy all the clams at once to avoid a newbie bringing it in later down the road

:o

this is true..I do not dose anything. I call it caveman style - CHEMICALS BAD! WATER CHANGES GOOD! I just add buffer every morning, and thats it. THat system gets water changes any where from 5 - 30 gal. daily.

I have problems with smaller clams every time I start adding artificial calcium. I know every one else does it just fine, but every time I start adding it the clams start to close up. My Ca + stays around 420. Im going to try a calcium reactor, but you cant get co2 tanks in NY so its a pain. Good thing Kat lives in NJ <wink>.

LOl..this is true..if you had nothng but clams in your tank, the best thing you can do for them is to add AMMONIA. Yes I said it AMMONIA!!! Clams LOVE low levels of ammonia. I have pictures of clam farmers in Vietnam, or maybe its Fiji I forget - peeing in the receways.

I am expirimenting with new clam foods too....wait till you hear what I will be bowl feeding small clams, you wont believe it.

Wow. Do you have any arms or legs left after paying for all that salt? Are you getting grants from te government for some sort of wild life testing?

jedimasterben
I love how his frags in the front on the rack are bigger than any of my actual coral colonies.

This x a gajilliom.

I love how his frags in the front on the rack are bigger than any of my actual coral colonies.

I love how no one has even mentioned the 4 tangs in the tank.

he has more than 4. many many more.

Zeph, we need some current pictures don't we, maybe I'll take them Sunday if I remember to bring the camera.

This is an old picture of his 210:

054.JPG

wantimage.jpg

wow....

He's got a crazy nice setup that's for sure. I'm pretty sure at this point I've figured out his monthly water changes cost more than everything in my setup.

ZephNYC's

[/

That picture is so old!! my tank looks nothing like that anymore...I have added 6 blue tangs and 7 avansi anthias and replaced lots of the inverts. THe tank is under heavy renovation but i would love to share pics with you guys as it progresses. Heres a new gem I picked up a few weeks ago from LA. 7 inch blue rim squamosa doing well.

squamosa.jpg

post-73763-1335486283_thumb.jpg

ftfy :P

tang count:

6 blue tangs

4 yellow tangs

1 powder blue tang

1 red sea sailfin tang

1 jumbo size vlamingo tang (sp?)

1 christmas island black tang ($800!)

2 purple tangs

i think thats about it