Pod Your Reef

How many clams do you have?

ZephNYC

I would like to hear from people keeping lots of clams..if anyone out there has several I would like to discuss your system. Heres what I have now...30" blue gigas, 20" blue gigas, 5" blue maxima, 8" blue rim squamosa, 4" deresa. I have just started keeping clams again after severl years and many loses. Of course these are not in a nano, but I think I will be building a nano soon.

-Z

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have as many as you but I have 2 Maximas in my tank. I just added the second one the other day so it's only been in for about 2 days but the other has been in the tank for a little over 8 months. Everyone says I'm crazy for having these in my tank but I do the proper things to keep them happy and healthy.

• 2 weeks later...

Jedi, nice on the 3 clams. How big is your tank and tell me about what fish you have in there please. I have been rearanging my tanks of late, so will post a new pic of the giant clams soon. I just picked up a beauty from MA, thanks to Kat - 5 inch electric blue maxima, doing very well. See my tanks are not nanos ( but I am setting one up soon) so I am not sure I belong here...but since you asked i will post a pic. I tried just now but my pics are 2 -3 mb and are not uploading here so I will work on that later this evening.

jedimasterben
Jedi, nice on the 3 clams. How big is your tank and tell me about what fish you have in there please. I have been rearanging my tanks of late, so will post a new pic of the giant clams soon. I just picked up a beauty from MA, thanks to Kat - 5 inch electric blue maxima, doing very well. See my tanks are not nanos ( but I am setting one up soon) so I am not sure I belong here...but since you asked i will post a pic. I tried just now but my pics are 2 -3 mb and are not uploading here so I will work on that later this evening.

Oh, I don't have any clams at the moment, I was just "This."-ing that I wanted to see pictures. :D

Where are you uploading your photos to? Photobucket, Imgur, Imageshack, GoodLuckMakingRent should all accept way bigger than that and auto-resize them for you.

Oh, I don't have any clams at the moment, I was just "This."-ing that I wanted to see pictures. :D

Where are you uploading your photos to? Photobucket, Imgur, Imageshack, GoodLuckMakingRent should all accept way bigger than that and auto-resize them for you.

this is the 30 incher last year, my tanks are under renovation so new pics soon.

post-73763-1335366223_thumb.jpg

this is the 30 incher last year, my tanks are under renovation so new pics soon.

when I showed them to Kat she fell off her chair....rofl!

Welcome to the forums zeph...and I appreciate your help with the clam. It didn't make it. However I did a lot more research regarding iron and perkinsis and the findings were...well awesome ;)

jedimasterben
Welcome to the forums zeph...and I appreciate your help with the clam. It didn't make it. However I did a lot more research regarding iron and perkinsis and the findings were...well awesome ;)

As Bugs Bunny once said, "Gots to have your i-ron!" *crunches on iron carrot*

See my tanks are not nanos ( but I am setting one up soon) so I am not sure I belong here...but since you asked i will post a pic. I tried just now but my pics are 2 -3 mb and are not uploading here so I will work on that later this evening.

I beg to differ! Your baby ponies are in a nano. What about the QT tank, that is a nano. And the regal angel, he's sitting ALL LONELY in a nano. Your main system is 500G fine but you have nano's! Maybe we can set you up a pico and REALLY test your reef keeping skillz. heheheh

Also, email the pics to me, I'll post em up for ya.

How often do you come home to a wet floor due to those two?

bdaniel5278

man those clams are huge, seems like if they closed fast it would throw all the water out of the tank.

Makes my one little 2" crocea seem like nothing

Did u grow the 30" and 20" or did you buy them that size..

^this!

I'm assuming you bought them, because it would have taken decades for them to grow to that size.

Just texted Zeph, he's taking pictures of the new stuff etc but I have a couple of answers:

He bought them and they grew. These are not new animals, he has had them for a few years.

They are T. Gigas, a species that does not close all the way.

Anatomy

Young T. gigas are difficult to distinguish from other species of Tridacnidae. Adult T. gigas are the only giant clams unable to close their shells completely. Even when closed, part of the mantle is visible, unlike the very similar T. derasa. However, this can only be recognized with increasing age and growth. Small gaps always remain between shells through which retracted brownish-yellow mantle can be seen.[6]

T. gigas has four or five vertical folds in its shell; this is the main characteristic that separates it from the very similar shell of T. derasa, which has six or seven vertical folds.[6] As with massive deposition of coral matrices composed of calcium carbonate, the bivalves containing zooxanthellae have a tendency to grow massive calcium carbonate shells.[7] The mantle's edges are packed with symbiotic zooxanthellae that presumably utilize carbon dioxide, phosphates, and nitrates supplied by the clam.[8]

Archived