Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What can you tell me about the RKL?

banshee

Another question, please. Can you gradually dim the lights and then turn them off and vice versa.

I hope I didn't miss it on previous pages.

yes.

I think RA will do it out of the box. So would RKE and full Apex.

For RKL, Apex Lite and Apex Jr. you will need an additional module.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been looking at a controller myself, I was thinking about the Reefkeeper Lite until I heard several complaints about how hard it is to program.

I've also seen Apex Jr, Apex Lite, and this:

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/controlle...-temp-probe-dc8

Which is also made by Neptune systems, but I'm not sure what the difference would be between that and the Apex Lite. I know the Apex Jr doesn't come with a display, but I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Lite and the full blown Apex (as they both have displays - fewer probes maybe?)

The Neptune AC Jr looks like maybe what I want, as it has a ph and temp probe. My main attraction to the Reefkeeper lite is it comes with ph, temp, salinity, and for the same price as a base Apex lite you also get the Net functionality. I'm not sure how big a deal that is to me, yet.

Can either the Apex Lite, Neptune AC Jr or Reekeeper Lite/Elite be used to control more than one tank? I have two systems, so even if I didn't use it for that now it would be nice to have the option.

Salty_Snack

They all can be used on multiple tanks with additional probes. All the versions of the apex have "net" capability built into them.

Unless your dosing kalk or are experiencing wild pH swings you don't need a pH probe since chasing the ideal pH is just stupid. Also, I'm not sure why you would want or need to have a salinity probe. It just sounds like something else to clean and calibrate to me. My tank salinity hasn't really changed since I set up my tank because my ATO keeps the level of water constant. If your really concerned about it, checking the SG with a refractometer takes about 10 seconds.

Well, I'm not dosing kalk but it would be nice to know the ph at a glance. I guess the salinity probe isn't that big a deal.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Reefkeeper Elite and the Apex. Is th RK Elite easier to program than the RK Lite? If not, I may just go with the Apex. I don't really need the Net functionality right now, but it would be nice to have for later and not have to spend extra money on it.

I would highly advise anyone who is looking into buying one of these units to download the manual for any unit you are thinking about and read it. You'd be surprised at what you can learn.

Got it yesterday after the discussion on this thread so thanks for starting it! I can't comment on happiness, I will say it was totally a breeze to configure. I am having some trouble shooting issues but then I haven't played with it at all. YEsterday I basically got it plugged it in to the ethernet and configured the heater and fan using the browser. Thats is it. This weekend I'm going to hook up the wifi and figure it out that way.

PinkDamsel
My main attraction to the Reefkeeper lite is it comes with ph, temp, salinity

The basic RKL comes w. just a temp probe, although it has input slots for other devices.

It boils down to what you want to use it for & how complicated a setup you want. Personally, I don't want a bunch of probes in my small tank, the temp one is enough as it is.

I found the RKL less than intuitive to program, but not that difficult w. the instructions.

It does a fine job keeping temp steady with both a heater & Ice Probe, and that's something because my office has big temp swings when they turn off climate control evenings & weekends. It also runs my lights; but I'm not doing sunrise/sunset or dimming. The timer I had before died after 9 months, so this has been a good solution.

I have the fourth outlet set up for always-on. That way when I work late after lights-out I just move the light plug to that outlet to enjoy the tank a bit longer.

I know I could do more with the RKL, but I really don't feel the need.

It's interesting to me that on their site they say to read the instructions before setting up the RKL I found them to be confusing and annoying. I got this on Christmas and got so angry while trying to understand the instructions I thew them with the RKL in my closet.. Out of sight out of mind. Expensive headache/gift forgotten! yay!! :D Then summer came boooo!!

So I set it up fairly slowly pushing buttons like a stupid monkey yesterday... without getting angry this time (what do I have to lose) and without the instructions. Nothing fancy just Heater, Fan, Halide, Moonlight. Actually NOT reading the instructions helped a lot!! At least the simple tasks. I don't know who writes these manuals. They don't make them friendly for those of us who fried half our braincells in highschool and just want to look at our squishy coral and stripey fish! :(

An Apex for everyday keeps sleeplessness away

My wallet screamed RKL, but my brain and some one on one conversations with Solefald convinced me that the Apex Jr was right for me and boy am I ever so glad to have listened to my brain for once! (Not that I ever listen to my wallet when it comes to this reef!) :huh:

IMG_20120504_154011.jpg

The hardest part is connecting to the controller via the internet (it was for me anyway). You have 2 options: an Ethernet from your router to the device or using a gaming adaptor or wireless router connected to the controller in bridge mode. Whatever that means in english. -_- My brother who set up my home network was excited about the Apex too and he configured the web access part. He's been figuring out android connections for me (The app is no longer available).

Anyway back to the Apex. Once you connect to the controller via the internet and find the IP address associated with it, you type that in to your browser and voila you are accessing the control panel.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-04%20at%204.17.35%20PM.png

My first time using the Apex, I hard wired it to my router and programmed the heater and fan to maintain a certain range of temperature. Then I disconnected it from the router, and hooked it up it next to my tank with the heater and fan plugged in. That was it! It has been maintaining the range of temperature ever since.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-05%20at%203.25.45%20PM.png

I got the controller 4 days ago. Now I can access it on my android, my iMac, the iPod touch and the iPad. Temperature control is not all I intend for this device to do for me, but it was the reason I got it. Very pleased with the purchase.

herranton
Your really mean Kat, your making me want to sell my RKL and trade up for a Apex just to play with it.

*You're

And yeah, It looks a lot easier than the RKL.

*You're

And yeah, It looks a lot easier than the RKL.

it* :P

I really didn't have any problems programming my RKL.

Does the base unit come with any non-web way of putting the pumps on standby or do you need the display to do that?

Any alterations to the control and program of the Apex has to be done with the internet or you will need a display unit.

Today I have added a doser to the Apex. Currently about to program it to be on an off multiple times at specific times for a set duration each time. (was that confusing?)

You're really mean Kat, your making me want to sell my RKL and trade up for a Apex just to play with it.

:huh:

What else would you use it to control? Lights ? Pumps?

Yeah. I intend to put my filter and powerhead on it and do a "feed mode" so they automatically come on after 20 minutes.

Archived