inTank Media Baskets

What can you tell me about the RKL?

banshee

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I should get my girlfriend these heels. Maybe then, she'll be more inclined to go diving with me :D

these?

1243.jpg

Sorry, but your RA is not all that special. It does exact same thing that Apex does.

Lets see Apex open my garage door? :D

This is rather an easy task. I can make it work with IR, RF, light beam, iPhone app, Web browser and directly from Apex display unit. IR/RF/Light beam would be more complicated because i'll have to build a small receiver, but I see nothing that would stop Apex from automating your entire house.

But we are not talking about outlandish things like this, and to be fair RA is nothing more than a bunch of Adruino modules and we are not talking about Arduino capabilities over here.

Bahah...arduino ftw if you really wanted to you could control your whole house ...

OK since it hasn't migrated over here let's talk about real applications.....

Flow meters - reactor clogged? Pump need cleaning?

IR sensor - wake screen. Constant IR announce tank stats via speaker

Using pinpoint probes such as nitrate, calcium, alkalinity etc etc for continual monitoring?(working on libraries)- know your stats over a network - auto create dose amount and time to keep at specific level

Self adjusting solenoid control for a calcium reactor.

Salinity control and auto or continuous waterchange

Should I keep going?

Bahah...arduino ftw if you really wanted to you could control your whole house ...

Just think. I was going to go buy a timer for my christmas lights next year.....LOL

Saved myself $10 bucks

OK since it hasn't migrated over here let's talk about real applications.....

Flow meters - reactor clogged? Pump need cleaning?

IR sensor - wake screen. Constant IR announce tank stats via speaker

Using pinpoint probes such as nitrate, calcium, alkalinity etc etc for continual monitoring?(working on libraries)- know your stats over a network - auto create dose amount and time to keep at specific level

Self adjusting solenoid control for a calcium reactor.

Salinity control and auto or continuous waterchange

Should I keep going?

You realize that both devices are micro-controllers, right? The difference is that one is made for one thing and one thing only and does it rather well. The other one is jack of all trades, yet master of none. Sure, it will work, but its only as good as the person who wrote the code, and since you are introducing everything and the kitchen sink into the equation, there will be plenty of bugs. But lets not get into Mac vs PC argument here.

As much as i love open source, this is the thing i hate the most. Too many cooks in the kitchen, and your great idea goes to sh*t, because some dude wrote a line of code that should not be there and uploaded without testing, and you, having absolutely no idea what that code is supposed to look like, download the file and upload it to your controller... and accidentally fry it. Yes, you can do the code audit. As the matter of fact, you SHOULD do the code audit of everything you download from the internet, but do you seriously expect every user of RA to be a nerd with C++ knowledge? To most of the people that looks like gibberish.

We are beating the dead horse over here. I have nothing against RA, as the matter of fact, i like those things alot and going to build a similar controller for my second "frankentank" using Arduino, because i want to build it myself. Hell, i will probably buy their probes and relays so i dont have to build my own... and maybe even re-use some of their code. The thing is... i am a nerd who loves doing things like that. 99% of the aquarists out there could not give 2 sh*its about being able to write their own code and build their own modules. they want to buy something that works right out of the box, does not have a steep learning curve, looks nice and has a phone number they can call to ask for help, if needed. For these people RA is not the right choice.

The original question was RKL or Apex. My vote is Apex.

Oh yeah, and detecting a clogged pump is done with a simple open/closed pressure switch, so it will work with Apex. Writing complex condition-based code is also possible with Apex. I see both, Apex and RA as absolutely equal devices (one is nice and polished. another one is a red-headed step child), yet both are superior to Reef Keeper.

Sure, it will work, but its only as good as the person who wrote the code, and since you are introducing everything and the kitchen sink into the equation, there will be plenty of bugs.

So your comment does not scare off everyone who has fears of writing code.

Lets clarify one thing I have learned from reading the RA forum. As far as the code being only as good as the person who wrote it, YOU AS A NEW USER SHOULD NOT WORRY. The RA comes with stock code installed to do exactly what a basic set-up needs do to. Unless I am completely reading the set-up procedure wrong....All you have to do is tweak a few numbers in the code to match what you want it to do (lights on, lights off times, heater temp on, heater off, wave maker setting, ect) Same thing you would do in the RKL or APEX setup software) Than just upload that code back into the RA. You do not have to physically write 50 lines of code yourself. It sounds like the stock code is working just fine.

COPY & PASTE are your friends when it comes to RA. Please do not over complicate the basic tank set-up of this unit.

Why would you need an RA if you're going to copy and paste code from the net? Isn't that cheating for a person that knows code? And if you don't know code, why would you get a controller that needs you to know code? :unsure:

Why would you need an RA if you're going to copy and paste code from the net? Isn't that cheating for a person that knows code? And if you don't know code, why would you get a controller that needs you to know code? :unsure:

When you pay $360 for a APEX, part of that money is paying for the guy who wrote the code to make it turn your lights on, run your wavemaker run, monitor temp, PH, ect.

With the RA, you are not paying that money for the code time. More or less its free. (Open Source) Most DIY communities do it for the love of the hobby and the people in it. Some guys want to be able to say, look, I made this.(ego boost without the commercial overhead cost) In most cases, its not for profit. RA designer sat down and wrote code to make your lights turn on, ATO work, wavemaker work. ect. Just like the guy at APEX did. What RA allows you to do is write your own code if there is something special you want to make work. Other guys have written code to make your wavemaker run special cycles different from the cookie cutter....Off/On we normally see. They SHARE that code with the community. This is where the "Caution" come to play. Some random guys code may be written wrong. Just like buying corals or fish...make sure you trust the guy you are getting code from . I personally would not worry about any of the stock code being wrong.

And if you don't know code, why would you get a controller that needs you to know code? :unsure:

Cost is cheaper. You have a great community of guys willing to share the code they wrote, tell you how to tweak it to what you exactly want, and how to upload it.

This is the mis-understanding people have about this. For basic control features, you dont need to know how to write the code. Its already been done.

Its like buying DIY LED retro kits vs buying a complete assembled LED hood. Someone has written the instruction on how to mount them, correct wiring procedure, etc. You may even learn how to solder your own wires on. With the RA, you will learn how to tweak pre-written code to make your lights turn off at 9pm.

Lol he is right...RA comes as a complete controller with code pre loaded on it and a.full menu on the controller to set times.etc etc. Without ever plugging it into the computer....however lol

The other side is instead of keeping that code...write your own...it is a full controller out of the box. With the option to customize to your liking or needs

Well Banshee, now that your thread has been hijacked, I am going to suggest that you get the RKL for starters. It will do what you want it to, it's not all that hard to programl, DA has GREAT support if you need help, and it's expandable. I'm not knocking any other controller, but I have great peace of mind having my RKL running my tank.

Well Banshee, now that your thread has been hijacked, I am going to suggest that you get the RKL for starters. It will do what you want it to, it's not all that hard to programl, DA has GREAT support if you need help, and it's expandable. I'm not knocking any other controller, but I have great peace of mind having my RKL running my tank.

This thread has officially come full circle. lol

Lol he is right...RA comes as a complete controller with code pre loaded on it and a.full menu on the controller to set times.etc etc. Without ever plugging it into the computer....however lol

The other side is instead of keeping that code...write your own...it is a full controller out of the box. With the option to customize to your liking or needs

Little more looking and Deckoz is absolutely right. The RA needs no new coding for basic functions right out of the box. Much like the RKL, you program it from the display unit with no need to hook it to a computer.

Settable features out of the box with no coding required include:

Port 1: Auto top-off pump

Port 2: Moonlight lights

Port 3: Actinic lights

Port 4: Daylight lights

Port 5: Wavemaker pump 2

Port 6: Wavemaker pump 1

Port 7: Heater

Port 8: Return pump

Cost is cheaper. You have a great community of guys willing to share the code they wrote, tell you how to tweak it to what you exactly want, and how to upload it.

okay sold. when are both of you coming over to code the RA for me? I'll make lunch, you code and Britt and I will go to the spa.

Little more looking and Deckoz is absolutely right. The RA needs no new coding for basic functions right out of the box. Much like the RKL, you program it from the display unit with no need to hook it to a computer.

Settable features out of the box with no coding required include:

Port 1: Auto top-off pump

Port 2: Moonlight lights

Port 3: Actinic lights

Port 4: Daylight lights

Port 5: Wavemaker pump 2

Port 6: Wavemaker pump 1

Port 7: Heater

Port 8: Return pump

If you don't have some of those devices, can you program another light for example on port #8 ?

Another question, please. Can you gradually dim the lights and then turn them off and vice versa.

I hope I didn't miss it on previous pages.

Archived