Cultivated Reef

What can you tell me about the RKL?

banshee

Grumblecakes

If you want the reefkeeper I would recomend the elite. With the lite your going to run out of options fast. 1 pc4 and the sl1 and your already have used 2 slots. Add in a net mod a anothec4 and your out of space.

Only 4 plugs per pc4 kinda sucks expecially considering they are 80 each. It took 3 to get everything plug in to mine.

Programing from the head unit definatly has a learning curve. Programing using a computer is way easier.

My biggest complaint would be with the net module. Its a huge pain to get it working right. Its extremely slow, making it all that mcuh harder to get it setup and it can lock u p for no reason. I bought mine to monitor my tank while I was on vacation. Everything was fine for several days before. I checked it 20 min after I left and the module had crashed and there was nothing I could do until a week later.

I've also had it fail to turn on the heater. The alarm even went off saying the tank was cool and the controler ignored it. Idigital aquatics support is kind of ####ty all the manuals are on their forum site and do not come with it. Da rarley answers questions if your having problems. Most of their support comes from a guy that is not even associated them

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Apex Jr. and RKL have mostly the same features, with the main differences being:

1. RKL has a head unit that lets you monitor, program and control it without a computer. Doesn't have built-in Internet capability without a separate module.

2. Apex Jr. has built-in Ethernet port to connect to the Internet / local network, send emails / texts. A network connection is actually required to monitor, program, control since it lacks a head unit.

3. RKL has software that's Windows only, while Apex Jr. has a web interface that works on any modern browser.

Otherwise, their functionality is mostly the same. Having been in the rare position to have owned both, I take the Apex Jr. any day. I found its web interface much more useful, which I mostly do through my iPod Touch (runs the same apps as an iPhone), and so far it's been more reliable. I also found it program complex settings. It's just generally easier and more capable. Plus I've gotten great customer support for the Apex Jr. and support was almost non-existent for the RKL.

That you, I think that made the decision for me.

Does the controller have to be physically connected via a wire to computer to be controlled?

And also does the apex jr have this functionality or are you talking the advanced net modules?

I guess my question would be, apples to apples as in apex jr to RKL, which does more, and more easily?

They both have a temp probe, and 4 ports. So which one out of those 2 and why?

Apex has an ethernet port, yes. But it is not connected directly to a computer. It is connected to your home network. If you do not have a wired home network, Apex can be used with a wireless adapter and connect to the same network as your laptop or a phone. There are other ways to connect things if you are sufficiently nerdy.

Every single model of Apex (Jr/Lite/Full) has network capability. No extra modules required. Apex iPhone/iPad app is pretty incredible, hoever, it does not give you full ability to program your outlets. For that you have to use a web browser. Android app is written by a third party and not a feature reach but idea is the same.

I have the display since i bought full Apex, but after hooking it up, i haven't used it even once. It just sits on my desk, looking pretty. I do everything via phone or web browser.

Apex and RKL/E to the same thing, yes, but DA fails to understand that in this day and age network and ability to control things from multiple devices and remotely are far more important than a pretty display that you cant take with you and software used to program RK is ridiculous and requires Windows... unless you want to spend hours clicking buttons on the display unit to program everything.

RK can send you an alert that your tank it getting hot, but what good is it if you can't act on it. With Apex I can connect remotely and turn things on and off as I please. I can turn on a heater in my salt mixing bucket when I leave the office, so by the time I get home the water is ready to go into my tank.

smasil.png

Q1XpNl.png

For what it is worth, I had problems using some of the functions of the RKL (I find it rather complicated to get through) and I emailed their support team for help and heard back from them in 18 minutes! I am not sh*&@ing you.

As for the problem I emailed them about, it's something that was not documented yet, but they said they are updating documentation (per my suggestion). I had a small fan connected to the PC4 to evap cool the open top when it got over 80 deg. The fan would turn on at the set temp but would not go off. I've copied and pasted their reply below.

From Digital Aquatics: "There are two different type of Outlet (Channel) switches used in the PC4 (and in other devices similar to the PC4.) Channels 1 & 4 use a mechanical relay and Channels 2 & 3 use a Triac switch. Occasionally, some devices with a poor power factor (such as some kinds of pumps and fans) work better with relays and can get stuck with the Triac switches in Channels 2 & 3. the easiest solution is to move the device over to Channels 1 or 4, where there is a relay."

Problem solved and I hope they do put this in the instruction manual. Anyway, this one experience tells me they may have an AWESOME support philosophy.

Apex has an ethernet port, yes. But it is not connected directly to a computer. It is connected to your home network. If you do not have a wired home network, Apex can be used with a wireless adapter and connect to the same network as your laptop or a phone. There are other ways to connect things if you are sufficiently nerdy.

Every single model of Apex (Jr/Lite/Full) has network capability. No extra modules required. Apex iPhone/iPad app is pretty incredible, hoever, it does not give you full ability to program your outlets. For that you have to use a web browser. Android app is written by a third party and not a feature reach but idea is the same.

Thanks for making the clarification about connecting it to the network, but it is possible to connect it directly to the computer. My Apex Jr. was plugged directly to my MacBook Pro's Ethernet work for the first few months because I had not bought a wireless adapter yet, and this method work well if awkward and inelegant. I still do it this way each time I upgrade the firmware. It requires some minor changes to network settings, so it's not for everyone.

You can actually program the outlets from the iOS app! You need the lastest version of the app (updated last month) and upgrade the controller firmware to 4.12. You need to update both for it to work, and it even lets you do advanced programming! There are still settings not accessible from the app, but all the essential ones are now there.

HecticDialectics
Im probably going to get the apex Jr. ... Or the lite... Need an osmolator or ato first though...

I have an osmolator and a vortex. I bought the RKL for exactly that reason lol. I only use three of the four outlets: one for lights, one for heater, one for fan/chiller. Didn't want to pay the extra $40 for some internet gimmick. I've changed my settings all of once in the year I've had this thing.

Thanks for making the clarification about connecting it to the network, but it is possible to connect it directly to the computer. My Apex Jr. was plugged directly to my MacBook Pro's Ethernet work for the first few months because I had not bought a wireless adapter yet, and this method work well if awkward and inelegant. I still do it this way each time I upgrade the firmware. It requires some minor changes to network settings, so it's not for everyone.

You can actually program the outlets from the iOS app! You need the lastest version of the app (updated last month) and upgrade the controller firmware to 4.12. You need to update both for it to work, and it even lets you do advanced programming! There are still settings not accessible from the app, but all the essential ones are now there.

Correct. i never said it was impossible. it works on your MPB, because MPB ethernet port is auto-sensing. For any other computer you will need a special crossover ethernet cable, where pinout is different. The question was if it has to be hooked up directly to a computer. It does not.

As far as programming outlets from inside the app, it just redirects you to the web interface, but it does not work all the well. Better to just use Safari and go directly to your Apex like that.

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this thread. I have recently been looking into both the APEX jr. and the RKL. This has answered quite a few of my questions. I think I'm probably going to end up getting a APEX

Red Sea Reefer

Smart move. Think about it, you always see RK on the classifieds. It's rare to see an Apex that somebody is trying to get rid of. I wonder how many of thier selling thier RK are doing so to buy the Apex?

Smart move. Think about it, you always see RK on the classifieds. It's rare to see an Apex that somebody is trying to get rid of. I wonder how many of thier selling thier RK are doing so to buy the Apex?

I was one of those people, I sold off my RKL to purchase the Apex Jr. :D

Currently looking into the Reef Angel system. If you are even a little computer literate, it seems like a very viable option from the reading I have been doing. Seems like community support is there and its moving forward pretty nicely as far as features.

Cost is pretty nice too.

Currently looking into the Reef Angel system. If you are even a little computer literate, it seems like a very viable option from the reading I have been doing. Seems like community support is there and its moving forward pretty nicely as far as features.

Cost is pretty nice too.

I was looking into the Reef Angel as it is very attractive, but what eventually turned me off was the size of the display.

I was looking into the Reef Angel as it is very attractive, but what eventually turned me off was the size of the display.

Is it small?

Is it small?

I just looked it up on their website and it looks pretty small.

And I didn't say this in my original post, but I'm pretty happy overall with my RKL. It does what I need it to, which is controls my lights, my heaters and my fan. I'm pretty much worry free on the tank temp with the RKL.

Thanks. I'm going to keep researching and looking at the threads of tanks I really like to see what they're using and make a decision next month. I may try to see if I can find them at a LFS to actually compare in real life too.

Is it small?

no. that thing is RIDICULOUS! it's the size of a damn school bus. I don't know who decided that size is OK.

and by the time you setup a reef angel to your liking, it will cost more than an RKL or Apex.

ReefAngel_07.jpg

As far as checking one out at an LFS, I am yet to see an LFS that has those things setup for demo or even sells them locally.

That's what I figured. The local reef club has a meeting next weekend. If I can make it I'm going to ask who has what controllers and see if anyone will let me see theirs.

I am having a hell of a time programing the RKL, Wish i never bought it .. lol i cheeped out. go for apex jr. If i cant get my ALC module working with my dimable LED setup i will be turfing the RKL and moving to the Apex.

I am having a hell of a time programing the RKL, Wish i never bought it .. lol i cheeped out. go for apex jr. If i cant get my ALC module working with my dimable LED setup i will be turfing the RKL and moving to the Apex.

What is the ALC module? If you decide to sell it and recoup some cost let me know. I'll be looking in about two weeks. ;)

What is the ALC module? If you decide to sell it and recoup some cost let me know. I'll be looking in about two weeks. ;)

ALC - Advanced Light Controller module.

People all over the place sell their RKE/L. It see a new thread every single day.

The ALC module is a Advanced Light Controller, that does 0-10vdc which works with my meanwell dimmable drivers .. or at least supposed to .. i havent been able to get it to work... yet.

I will let you know. I have a reefer buddy that is coming over next weekend to have a look at the mess i have made on my biocube .. hehe and see if he can get it to work. I know it works with the Dcc-01 electronic dimmer .. but i am seeing no voltage from the ALC .. so its probably something i have not set properly ... or overlooked.

Dan

no. that thing is RIDICULOUS! it's the size of a damn school bus. I don't know who decided that size is OK.

Reef Angel is the DIY version of this hobby's control system.. There is no doubt its going to be cheaper. It requires more work on the side of the end user. Size is relative to cost. Smaller size requires smaller circuitry which requires surface mount electronics which in-turn require more specialized manufacturing which increase cost. Personally, as long as it tells me what I need to know on the screen, I dont care what the size is. I'd prefer people look at my tank than the display controlling it.

For $100, you can buy a cheap android tablet and have it give me a nice big display above my tank.

by the time you setup a reef angel to your liking, it will cost more than an RKL or Apex.

Could you specify how you came up with these figures? Unless I'm missing part that are required and not included in the base package. According to my math, for $219 you get :

-Head Unit

-two float switches for ATO control

-Temp monitoring

-PH monitoring

-8 plug relay box

-required cords

Match those features in Apex or RKL and you are around at least $400

APEX--Display unit, 8 plug relay box, and temp probe is $250.

and by the time you setup a reef angel to your liking, it will cost more than an RKL or Apex.

ReefAngel_07.jpg

As far as checking one out at an LFS, I am yet to see an LFS that has those things setup for demo or even sells them locally.

I meant the display is small. Would be hard to read that from a distance.

Archived