inTank Media Baskets

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

The XT-E star hyper violets can handle 700ma. They have a far higher C/W than the old-style stars with the round package. An LDD can push 13x of them since their Vf is 3.4v.

At 700ma, Steve's M has exactly 4.5 times the output of an XT-E 'Q' bin at the same current, per blasterman, measured by the proper equipment. Rebel ES would be the same as an XT-E.

You like the hyper violets because of the 430nm wavelength correct? Would you run all these at 700ma, and the Bridgelux at 1000ma, or what are your plans for the current?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

All my Bridgelux, Luxeon, and Rebel chips will be on 1000ma drivers, the HV will be on 700ma.

Hey Jedi, has anyone combined a normal DIY fixture with some small DIY spotlights to highlight large corals?

jedimasterben

I'm sure someone has, but I've never seen it. It would look inconsistent with the rest of the light and probably not very good.

K, I thought that would be BA on my 20 x 10 x 18 soon to be reef. What if the spotlight was a TV or HV dimmed way down? It would make a certain coral look incredible without making a weird cone of light, making the whole tank super blue, or melting the coral(s).

I think I'll still try it, I'm to damn curious damnit!

Paleoreef103

The XT-E star hyper violets can handle 700ma. They have a far higher C/W than the old-style stars with the round package. An LDD can push 13x of them since their Vf is 3.4v.

LDD output voltage is listed at 2-52 V Vf=3.4 52/3.4= 15.29. Even factoring in loss of voltage, why couldn't they push 15? Is it because you're powering them with a 48V power supply?

jedimasterben
LDD output voltage is listed at 2-52 V Vf=3.4 52/3.4= 15.29. Even factoring in loss of voltage, why couldn't they push 15? Is it because you're powering them with a 48V power supply?

Yep. If you tune the power supply up to 56v, you can run more, but on a stock or non-adjustable 48v supply, 13 is the max.

Where I got the numbers from in nature: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

That article is very interesting, and really clarifies a lot of the current thought processes behind LED lighting. What interests me most though is this paragraph:

One watt of optical power radiated at the 555nm wavelength corresponds to 683 lm. For any other wavelengths, it is equal to the optical power emitted at that wavelength multiplied by the luminosity function of the eye for the same wavelength. To determine total lumens emitted by a light source we need to sum up the lumens for all emitted wavelengths.

Correct me if I am wrong (EDIT: I am wrong, see edit below), but what I take from this is:

1 Watt (1000mW) of radiometric output = 683 lm @ 555 nm

lm @ XXX nm = mW @ XXX nm * f(XXX) where f(XXX) is the luninosity function of the eye @ XXX nm

From this we can conclude that (mW @ XXX nm) * 0.683 = lm @ XXX nm.

Unless I am wrong on the above, this allows us to directly compare a white LED's output to a royal blue LED's output by dividing the lumen output of the white LED by 0.683. This could serve as a more useful metric rather than trying to subjectively determine the white:blue balance. For example, your Evil Cluster build uses approx. 3045mW of 4000k white light to 18000mW of royal blue.

This obviously isn't a be-all-end-all measurement, but it seems more useful than the current metrics, and at least now we are using the same unit measurements. It still varies based on colour temperature and the royal blue wavelengths.

EDIT: I just realized where I went wrong on this. I made the following (wrong) conclusion:

lm @ XXX nm = mW @ XXX nm * f(XXX)

lm @ XXX nm = mW @ XXX nm * 0.683

Therefore: mW @ XXX nm * 0.683 = mW @ XXX nm * f(XXX)

If we divide by mW @ XXX nm, we get:

0.683 = f(XXX)

Which is incorrect. I'll leave my post anyway as somebody might find some part of the incorrect assumption useful.

K, I thought that would be BA on my 20 x 10 x 18 soon to be reef. What if the spotlight was a TV or HV dimmed way down? It would make a certain coral look incredible without making a weird cone of light, making the whole tank super blue, or melting the coral(s).

I think I'll still try it, I'm to damn curious damnit!

Any input? I need a head start before I start researching 24/7 on this.

410-420nm Violet

430nm Hyper Violet

2:1 450nm Royal Blue :"4500k" Neutral White

475nm Blue

495nm Cyan 120 degree angle optics

660nm Red 120 degree angle optics

Milad's non XP footprint 430nm Violets and 495nm Cyan were soldered into the fixture.

When bought at Group Buy pricing, these chinese fixtures start approaching DIY price points, and have plenty of power. Almost too much. The ability to swap leds and optics DIY style on a clean pcb board is huge. They have plenty of room for improvement though. 4+ channels would be nice to see.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/bhazard/media/IMG_20130512_165506_zpsb44e259c.jpg.html'>IMG_20130512_165506_zpsb44e259c.jpg

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

More information can be found at: MakersCONTROLLER

MakersCONTROLLER just got released for everyone with the MakersDRIVERs that want to do easy sunset/sunrise

The MakersCONTROLLER works in combination with MakersDRIVER(s) to create sunrise, sunset and other special effects throughout the day. Once the color ratios have been independently dialed in on the MakersDRIVER knobs, the MakersCONTROLLER scales those ratios up and down to match a user defined schedule.

MakersCONTROLLER_On_LED_tslot_Heatsink__

I can squeeze in there and clean it, I wanted to save up for a long time and set it up as a fowlr w/ a display fuge and a little reef, so a 160g system at least.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Neat!

Does anyone know any calculations of LED's for fowlrs?

you only really need a few LEDs lights per 24x24x24

Maybe something like 6 royal blue 3 neutral white 1 OCW

24 LED's over a 120 I guess

Pretty good, less than most other options, I don't have any soldering equipment and I know nothing on leds so I was thinking a 24 led solderless kit from Rapid (Plus they're local) then I could do 12 RB 6 NW 2 Cyan 2 DR 2 CB (Not on tri stars, though)

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Just to make the full spectrum builds a bit easier. Have a peek at the new Lumia 5.1 - Art created with light

P5180002__85614.1368901472.1280.1280.jpg

Just to make the full spectrum builds a bit easier. Have a peek at:

P5180002__85614.1368901472.1280.1280.jpg

Milad, you are now god. I have waited for this for too long.

is this same as "dream chip" from another forum(s)?

I think so, but you can buy it without being in a group buy and it uses better leds.

Although it looks like there are a ton of violets and fewer RB.

Paleoreef103

I think so, but you can buy it without being in a group buy and it uses better leds.

Although it looks like there are a ton of violets and fewer RB.

1:1 neutral to RB spectrum too. Anyway, what does this chip look like over a tank!?!

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

This one has 5 channels individually addressable (you can dim them separately). The nice part is that its not just RB and White. We have taken what has worked for our customers and the trend we started with Full Spectrum LED builds that really bring out color in corals and fish and applied it to the LED. You get a full range of royal blues to neutral whites to hyper violets and also the key of making the corals really pop with turquoise and deep red!

Exclusive from LEDGroupBuy!

Archived