ReefCleaners.org

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

jedimasterben
If thats under a MH then that must be a post processed photo

T5s can make that happen but thats a lot of color for just MH.

To get equivalent with LEDs you will need to do a full spectrum with something like

6:6:3:1 of Royal Blue : True Violet : Neutral White : OCW

This gives you the oranges, the reds, the greens the light greens and the light blues to pop.

+1 to all of this. Pic looks heavily post-processed IMHO.

250w radium + T8 sylvania coralstar 18w I guess is whats being used.

So your ratio you posted of colors will get me close to this colors?

how many if each do u think I can use if ive only got 9 dioeds to work with? my pico is a 9" cube. but this will become a larger upgrade later.

Thank you for helping me out with tuis everyone.

Why only 9 diodes to work with?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 9 because tank is small. lol and id like to keep things nice and simple and beautiful.

I will buld a fixture for a larger tank if everything looks good.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
250w radium + T8 sylvania coralstar 18w I guess is whats being used.

So your ratio you posted of colors will get me close to this colors?

how many if each do u think I can use if ive only got 9 dioeds to work with? my pico is a 9" cube. but this will become a larger upgrade later.

Thank you for helping me out with tuis everyone.

What are the dimensions?

9x9x?

Looks ok except for the cool white. I wouldn't use them in the build. Just stick to neutrals.

For the deep red, you can match the Blue count (4) if you wanted or half that.

If you wanted to keep it simple, loose the CW, Cyan, Blue and Deep red and just put in OCWs (4-6 of them)

I'll consider replacing the CW's over to NW.

hmm interesting. are the blues not adding any benefit considering I have 16 RB's?

would it be best to remove the blues and replace them with something else, and let the RB's handle the blue spectrum? what ratio of deep red to 16x RB's would I need for a white color?

I'd like to try the OCW's and 3-ups as it WOULD keep things simple if this was a new build that hasn't started, but quite difficult i'd imagine since my array is complete and my heatsink has drilled/tapped holes all spaced out evenly as a grid.

remember, that I have 3 drivers that max out @ 14 led's per driver, so I can't simply add OCW's or 3-UP''s.

Thanks

Without writing it all out, neutrals give significantly better coloration. Do a search for it and you shall see. :)

(sorry, am in a hurry to get somewhere, so just a quick reply :) ).

I see so the cool white's are pretty much a waste when you have them combined with neutrals as all they do is stack on top of the CW's spectrum but with less yellow, green, red but a little bit higher on the blue side. And NW's won't give you that 'yellow' water look as the warm white's do.

Thanks

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
I'll consider replacing the CW's over to NW.

hmm interesting. are the blues not adding any benefit considering I have 16 RB's?

would it be best to remove the blues and replace them with something else, and let the RB's handle the blue spectrum? what ratio of deep red to 16x RB's would I need for a white color?

I'd like to try the OCW's and 3-ups as it WOULD keep things simple if this was a new build that hasn't started, but quite difficult i'd imagine since my array is complete and my heatsink has drilled/tapped holes all spaced out evenly as a grid.

I would remove some blues and replace them with turquoise and deep red. The issue you will run into is that since you have a grid setup, you will probably get disco. Going full spectrum with single LEDs needs to have the different colors as close as possible together so you don't get the disco.

If you are able to do this then take the blues, divide it by 3 and use that many blue, deep reds and turquoise.

Ok so maybe this is better. OCW in center with 3)TV and 3 RB would give off the 20000k look but good growth because.of.the TV? What about Majenta or Turqoise (495nm Deep Red (660nm)or.is.this already hiding in the spectrom?

Bad spelling on a phone. pls forgive

Using 12 dioeds would be best yes. than just follow the combo you suggested yes? . 6:6 3:1 = 4-RB 4-TV 3-NW 1 OCW.

Paleoreef103
Ok so maybe this is better. OCW in center with 3)TV and 3 RB would give off the 20000k look but good growth because.of.the TV? What about Majenta or Turqoise (495nm Deep Red (660nm)or.is.this already hiding in the spectrom?

Bad spelling on a phone. pls forgive

Using 12 dioeds would be best yes. than just follow the combo you suggested yes? . 6:6 3:1 = 4-RB 4-TV 3-NW 1 OCW.

An OCW contains 1 turquoise, 1 deep red, and 1 cool blue LED so that part of the spectrum is covered. You could go with the 4:4:3:1 you suggested, but the neutrals will be quite prominent. If you went with three whites, look into cool whites for this ratio as you like the 20k look. That or just go with 4:4:2:1. Are you going to use one or two drivers?

An OCW contains 1 turquoise, 1 deep red, and 1 cool blue LED so that part of the spectrum is covered. You could go with the 4:4:3:1 you suggested, but the neutrals will be quite prominent. If you went with three whites, look into cool whites for this ratio as you like the 20k look. That or just go with 4:4:2:1. Are you going to use one or two drivers?

Orginaly was going with

3)Royal Blue (455nm)

1) White (4500k)

2)True Violet (420nm) 

1) Royal Blue (455nm)

1)Turqoise (495nm)

1) Deep Red (660nm)

but the last 3 = OCW anyways yes? And I only learned about ocw a few days ago.

so.. Yes I like the 20000k look, also like growth. dont we all.

Im simply trying to find a combo that will make coral colors jump out at me or"pop"

and provide a full spectom light for growth. I dont really care about what color the water is.

like in above photos. seems like dark tank but corals are amazginly bright. Im my books = perfect.

I know photo may be digital edited. but can We come even close to that same look?

Id think id need to use 2 drivers.. and 60° optics.

Has anyone tryed OCW with RB only?

jedimasterben
Orginaly was going with

3)Royal Blue (455nm)

1) White (4500k)

2)True Violet (420nm) 

1) Royal Blue (455nm)

1)Turqoise (495nm)

1) Deep Red (660nm)

but the last 3 = OCW anyways yes? And I only learned about ocw a few days ago.

so.. Yes I like the 20000k look, also like growth. dont we all.

Im simply trying to find a combo that will make coral colors jump out at me or"pop"

and provide a full spectom light for growth. I dont really care about what color the water is.

like in above photos. seems like dark tank but corals are amazginly bright. Im my books = perfect.

I know photo may be digital edited. but can We come even close to that same look?

Id think id need to use 2 drivers.. and 60° optics.

Has anyone tryed OCW with RB only?

Milad's OCW LED star is not a white LED and is not a replacement for it. The light it produces appears white to us due to the way our eyes mix the colors.

My version of OCW, Deep red 660-670nm; royal blue 440nm; cyan 495nm (Sorry Milad, I think the ones you offer are great, just needed ones that would fit on a standard star to avoid drilling and tapping new holes)

2012-06-02105209.jpg

jedimasterben
My version of OCW, Deep red 660-670nm; royal blue 440nm; cyan 495nm (Sorry Milad, I think the ones you offer are great, just needed ones that would fit on a standard star to avoid drilling and tapping new holes)

2012-06-02105209.jpg

Steve just ordered some cool blue Rebels and is making me some custom stars, too. :)

Steve just ordered some cool blue Rebels and is making me some custom stars, too. :)

Cool blue rebels...awesome! Which tri-star blanks are you planning on using?

jedimasterben
Cool blue rebels...awesome! Which tri-star blanks are you planning on using?

Idk, he said that he is having them custom-made, so I'm not sure! The ones you have look fricken' awesome. What optics can you use on that? Steve is getting ones made that will have some options as far as optics go. Said 4-6 weeks til he can get them made and in-hand.

And as for the cool blue, the bin he got outputs 60 lumens at 700ma (more at 1A). Maybe it was 350ma, I don't remember.

Idk, he said that he is having them custom-made, so I'm not sure! The ones you have look fricken' awesome. What optics can you use on that? Steve is getting ones made that will have some options as far as optics go. Said 4-6 weeks til he can get them made and in-hand.

And as for the cool blue, the bin he got outputs 60 lumens at 700ma (more at 1A). Maybe it was 350ma, I don't remember.

The ones I used do not work with any optics that I know of. Since they are within 5" of the water on my tank I did not want optics on them, so I found the board that would place the emitters as close together as possible. It is impossible to get better color mixing then this short of having all 3 of the dies custom made into 1 led under the same dome. If your fixture is higher off the water and optics are required then this would not be the best setup.

For my tank this has worked awesome and has completely eliminated the color banding I was getting in the hard shadows from the turquoise and deep red

jedimasterben

Yeah, my fixture is going to be at least 15" off the water of a 16" deep tank, so I will definitely need some optics. I will email Steve and ask him what style of stars he is having made.

I still think the vast majority of all them hemming and hawing over using 5 or 6 LED colors is not all that helpful and quite misleading to a lot of rookies........... not trying to stir the pot here and start a flame war..... but if you are an LED-rookie, please do not think that you must have all these disco-inferno colors.

For some reason, folks new to LEDs think they have to have "one of each" regarding LED exotic colors, I suppose because we do something similar with T5HO bulbs.

You only "need" to use neutral white and royal blue to have a VERY good looking tank--- the nicest SPS reef I've ever seen with my eyes was using simply 1 neutral white (4200K) for every 2 royal blues. All the hype over using all these exotic colors isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's also not necessarily a useful thing. Please do NOT feel like you need these colors, you DO NOT.

Perhaps you get some photosynthetic benefit from true-violet 420nm LEDs, but please do not buy the bull$hit that it's necessary. It isn't. Maybe helpful, but you will grow stuff just fine without it.

I am tired of getting PM's here and on other forums from people who see this thread and similar threads, freaking out over how many cool blue and reds and violets they need, and I just want to scream!

So by all means, please use all the exotic colors you want, they aren't going to hurt, but they may end up just being added expense.

This thread needs a sticker on the front of it that says "only anal-retentive perfectionists with gross eccentric tendencies should proceed".

does anybody think this will work for me over a 5g fluval edge? or is it over kill? I also made a thread in here on what im trying to accomplish.

post-58350-1340032628_thumb.png

how is the ratio in this revision? I'm thinking of dropping the Blue led's all together and switching to all luxeon neutral whites, adding Deep Reds. Sand diffuser is being shipped.

Display

Specifications

- Dimension: 35.4″ x 8.3″ x 9.4″.

- 12 Gallons.

Revised

Driver C [1kmA limit]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [14]

Driver B [700mA limit]

Violet UV 3W LED 410-420nm 700ma [6]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [2]

Philips Luxeon Rebel Cyan 3W LED 490-520nm 1000ma [3]

Philips Luxeon ES Deep Red 3W LED 670nm 700ma [3]

Driver A [1kmA limit]

Philips Luxeon ES Neutral WHITE 3W LED 5,000K 1000ma [8]

-------------------------------------------------------------

Currently

Driver C [1kmA limit]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [12]

Driver B [700mA limit]

Violet UV 3W LED 410-420nm 700ma [3]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [4]

CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED 465-485nm 1000ma [4]

Philips Rebel Cyan 3W LED 490-520nm 1000ma [3]

Driver A [1kmA limit]

CREE XP-G Neutral White LED 3,700-5,000K 1500ma [4]

CREE XP-G R5 Cool White LED 5000-8,300K 1500ma [6]

does anybody think this will work for me over a 5g fluval edge? or is it over kill? I also made a thread in here on what im trying to accomplish.

going dimmable? how many drivers? :)

jedimasterben
*rant that I don't give enough of a damn to quote*

No one is telling you that you need to make a full-spectrum array. This thread is for pictures and discussion for people that have them or want them. Please make your own thread where you will say that is unnecessary and does not make a difference having extra spectrum (it does).

Over an Edge? You'd be able to shine light through your stand with that much light.

For an edge, I'd do at most 3x neutral white, 6x royal blue, 1x deep red, 1x cyan/turquoise, 1x cool blue, 2x violet. This will give you enough light to grow any kind of SPS you want (I made an array for an Edge using 2x cool white, 2x royal blue, and 2x violet and it grew SPS like they were nothing, had awesome growth).

how is the ratio in this revision? I'm thinking of dropping the Blue led's all together and switching to all luxeon neutral whites, adding Deep Reds. Sand diffuser is being shipped.

Display

Specifications

- Dimension: 35.4″ x 8.3″ x 9.4″.

- 12 Gallons.

Revised

Driver C [1kmA limit]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [14]

Driver B [700mA limit]

Violet UV 3W LED 410-420nm 700ma [6]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [2]

Philips Luxeon Rebel Cyan 3W LED 490-520nm 1000ma [3]

Philips Luxeon ES Deep Red 3W LED 670nm 700ma [3]

Driver A [1kmA limit]

Philips Luxeon ES Neutral WHITE 3W LED 5,000K 1000ma [8]

So you're looking at:

8x NW Rebel ES

16x RB Cree XT-E

6x violet

3x cyan Rebel

3x deep red Rebel

I would still add cool blue. If you wait a couple of weeks, you can get 3up stars using Rebel LEDs, one star with 1x NW and 2x RB (individual solder pads so you can run each separately), the other with 1x cool blue, 1x deep red, and 1x cyan (all Rebels, and in series, so one connection to run all three). Should be $9-10ish for the NW/RB star and $10-12ish for the exotic star. Then just add violet.

Over the 36" area, I'd do 6x NW, 12x RB, 3x of DR/C/CB, and 4x violet. I'd also use four drivers instead of three so you can run the violets by themselves.

Soo from what you stated i have come up with this.. I scratched out the cool blue unless it really matters that much.. and im sure when i get the leds i can figure out a better pattern as well.

i plan on running all the blues and uv on one driver and the reds and white on another. unless i should use 3 drivers...

Soo from what you stated i have come up with this.. I scratched out the cool blue unless it really matters that much.. and im sure when i get the leds i can figure out a better pattern as well.

i plan on running all the blues and uv on one driver and the reds and white on another. unless i should use 3 drivers...

post-58350-1340042590_thumb.png

Use TV not UV (UV < 400nm)

Also I would center around the red and cyan/turq

I just ordered the biocube retrofit kit from Steve's Led's with the 1:2 4200k:Royal Blue ratio do you think that would be ok to grow sps and have a clam or two?

Archived