SaltCritters.com

Full Spectrum LED tank pictures

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

Bongo Shrimp

Can anyone here with multiple LEDs colors other than just blue and white (like red and green...) comment on the "disco" effect? I want to add say 2 red, 2 green, and maybe some violet to my 30 cree array but am nervous about having the disco effect.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Put them close together and don't put tight optics unless hanging really really high and you won't have anything to worry about. If you have a lot of surface agitation, get a piece of diffuser panel from depot and cut to fit under your fixture.

FTS20120604.jpg

6 NW

4 CW

4 TV

2 660 Red

4 CB

8 RB

'Thinking about adding a cyan/turquoise just to see what kinda oranges/red get boosted. Also seriously considering some ocean whites (maybe split up to drive by individual color).

You've already got reds and cool blues, if you add the turquoise you'll have the same thing as the ocw's. Nice tank.

Bongo Shrimp
Put them close together and don't put tight optics unless hanging really really high and you won't have anything to worry about. If you have a lot of surface agitation, get a piece of diffuser panel from depot and cut to fit under your fixture.

Ok I do have a lot of surface agitation and the lights are in my biocube hood so they are only about an inch or so from the water. I heard that diffuser stuff cuts down on PAR?

jedimasterben
Ok I do have a lot of surface agitation and the lights are in my biocube hood so they are only about an inch or so from the water. I heard that diffuser stuff cuts down on PAR?

Not really. Cheap diffuser cuts down about 10%, and there is a diffuser that someone linked me once that it was measured to only reduced by like 3%. I'll have to find the link.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
You've already got reds and cool blues, if you add the turquoise you'll have the same thing as the ocw's. Nice tank.

+1

you basically have 66% of a OCW, just add turquoise.

chrssprngs
The pre orders still might go out Friday. We are going to ship them as the orders came in. So if you were the first to make the order, you get yours first. We are cutting it close for Friday and we may be packing/shipping up until the last minute. If we don't get everything on Friday afternoon then most likley everything will be out Monday/Tuesday.

Thanks for the update Milad. I know you guys have been going at it nonstop. I'm just anxious.

Mr. Microscope

Thanks phasezero!

+1

you basically have 66% of a OCW, just add turquoise.

Thanks groupbuy!

Mr. Microscope
Can anyone here with multiple LEDs colors other than just blue and white (like red and green...) comment on the "disco" effect? I want to add say 2 red, 2 green, and maybe some violet to my 30 cree array but am nervous about having the disco effect.

If they're tight enough together the effect will be minimal. I was especially concerned about this since I have so much overhang with my rock pillar. I can attest that I stumbled on an awesome layout. I have ZERO discoballing, and from what I can tell, perfect blending of all my different colored LED's.

LEDs01.jpg

considering i have a Fluval Edge tank, i have 2 options. 1) put my LEDs above the small open water space. result: disco flicker. 2) lay my fixture on the glass top portion in front of the tank opening. result: very well blended color. minimal/no disco.

i have read that the using those office lighting diffuser panels works if you have an open top tank.

Bongo Shrimp

For me it will be tough to get them close together because I already have 30, evenly spaced across a rather large heatsink. I mean I don't know the exact dimensions off hand but they are not grouped together. More like a grid.

Yep, at least 80 degree optics. I had 60 degree optics on my old arrangement that was about 8" off the tank that was 48x12x21, and the optics were way too tight, made a lot of disco.

wow thanks went with the 80's they look great over the corals youtube video

Mr. Microscope
For me it will be tough to get them close together because I already have 30, evenly spaced across a rather large heatsink. I mean I don't know the exact dimensions off hand but they are not grouped together. More like a grid.

Do them in several clusters instead of a grid and you will get a much better blend with a lot less color shadowing. If you have to, get more LED's to cover the larger area. Though, you'll be surprised how much coverage you'll get from a cluster. You don't need to go end to end of the tank with LED's.

jedimasterben
Do them in several clusters instead of a grid and you will get a much better blend with a lot less color shadowing. If you have to, get more LED's to cover the larger area. Though, you'll be surprised how much coverage you'll get from a cluster. You don't need to go end to end of the tank with LED's.

This.

sageblade24

Hey everyone,

I really want to do an amazing build for my office tank which is 13x13x14.

I want full spectrum and real pop cause the tank is going to contain many varieties of zoanthids and rics.

I am not really sure what to get for a full spectrum setup but I know this is the way to go for best color and growth.

If anyone can provide me with a build that I can start from that would be awesome!

Thank you!

Bongo Shrimp

I understand how this could be helpful but I already have a fixture set up and in use which I am adding to. Plus I am only adding two reds and two cyans as I have decided. Both independently dimmable. So you see I can't exactly make a cluster so easily. (I'm not going to tear apart my existing, SPS growing fixture. These added colors are for aesthetics only. (If I was just making this fixture I would make a cluster)

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com
Hey everyone,

I really want to do an amazing build for my office tank which is 13x13x14.

I want full spectrum and real pop cause the tank is going to contain many varieties of zoanthids and rics.

I am not really sure what to get for a full spectrum setup but I know this is the way to go for best color and growth.

If anyone can provide me with a build that I can start from that would be awesome!

Thank you!

6 XTE Royal Blue

3 XPG NW

1 OCW

6 True Violet

That will give you alot of light and every color you need for full spectrum.

You can put the OCW and NW on the same driver and the Royal Blue and True Violet on the same driver to save on cost. Just don't run the drivers past 500mA.

I understand how this could be helpful but I already have a fixture set up and in use which I am adding to. Plus I am only adding two reds and two cyans as I have decided. Both independently dimmable. So you see I can't exactly make a cluster so easily. (I'm not going to tear apart my existing, SPS growing fixture. These added colors are for aesthetics only. (If I was just making this fixture I would make a cluster)

What type of driver are using to drive 2 leds?

How's this setup for full spectrum? My first build.

Anything I should add/subtract or substitute?

Heatsink temp. sits @ 125F at 1 hour with no fan @ 100% all on, ambient room temp is 62F.

79F @ 10% all on.

I am starting to like the flexibility of the Designer Heatsink; would an 18" workout well for my 36" long display?

LED's

Driver A [1k mA limit]

CREE XP-G Neutral White LED 3,700-5,000K 1500ma [4]

CREE XP-G R5 Cool White LED 5000-8,300K 1500ma [6]

Driver B [700mA limit]

Violet UV 3W LED 410-420nm 700ma [3]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [4]

CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED 465-485nm 1000ma [4]

Philips Rebel Cyan 3W LED 490-520nm 1000ma [3]

Driver C [1k mA limit]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [12]

Heatsink

6"x20" black (36 LED's max) w/acrylic splash guard

Mounting

Y-Hanging Kit to ceiling with toggle-bolts (adjustable - up, down, pivot forward and back)

Above rim approx. 9-10"

Optics

80 degrees black (none on UV's)

Drivers

Mean Well ELN-60-48P Dimmable [3] (1.3A max rating)

Controller

RapidLED DDC-01 Daylight Controller w/Remote

Typhon LED Controller by BoostLED (currently in testing)

the vacant spaces are now filled with RB's

7331500162_34070637fd.jpg

All drivers on at 100% limited to my ^above^ SVR2 settings

7178517667_65361a7f32.jpg

Bongo Shrimp
What type of driver are using to drive 2 leds?

For the project? I will be using two separate buck pucks since it's just two LEDs.

jedimasterben
How's this setup for full spectrum? My first build.

Anything I should add/subtract or substitute?

Heatsink temp. sits @ 125F at 1 hour with no fan @ 100% all on, ambient room temp is 62F.

79F @ 10% all on.

I am starting to like the flexibility of the Designer Heatsink; would an 18" workout well for my 36" long display?

LED's

Driver A [1k mA limit]

CREE XP-G Neutral White LED 3,700-5,000K 1500ma [4]

CREE XP-G R5 Cool White LED 5000-8,300K 1500ma [6]

Driver B [700mA limit]

Violet UV 3W LED 410-420nm 700ma [3]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [4]

CREE XP-E Blue 3W LED 465-485nm 1000ma [4]

Philips Rebel Cyan 3W LED 490-520nm 1000ma [3]

Driver C [1k mA limit]

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED 450-465nm 1500ma [12]

Heatsink

6"x20" black (36 LED's max) w/acrylic splash guard

Mounting

Y-Hanging Kit to ceiling with toggle-bolts (adjustable - up, down, pivot forward and back)

Above rim approx. 9-10"

Optics

80 degrees black (none on UV's)

Drivers

Mean Well ELN-60-48P Dimmable [3] (1.3A max rating)

Controller

RapidLED DDC-01 Daylight Controller w/Remote

Typhon LED Controller by BoostLED (currently in testing)

the vacant spaces are now filled with RB's

7331500162_34070637fd.jpg

All drivers on at 100% limited to my ^above^ SVR2 settings

7178517667_65361a7f32.jpg

Looks like you got a bit too much cool blue (makes the water look kinda like Windex), but this may be the camera not capturing the color correctly. You will have horrendous disco if you leave them spaced out like that. You also don't have any deep red. Where did you get your LED ratio from?

As far as heatsink size, I would do no more than 6" away from each edge of the tank to prevent dark corners, unless you're hanging the fixture really high, which would require much tighter optics. I'd get a 24" heatsink.

Archived