inTank Media Baskets

Jarquarium Challenge

Whys

MrAnderson

not sure what size to use, i have a set of 4, the smallest looks like about 500mL (the one in the pic), the largest prolly 2 gallons.

it feels like more volume would actually be harder, i'm thinking dissolved gases... hrm.

first time i noticed this thread... cool idea even tho op is a tool.

I think that is kind of unfair.. I sincerely hope pj is actually achieving the results he is reporting, but from what I have seen, he has yet to substantiate his claims..

Edited by GHill762

I w add this in support of pj, he has an online history of success with small tanks. I've read all his work and don't find any evidence for making wild claims, he broke ground in pico reef work that hadn't been done before, its in his threads.

I am still looking to find whys pico reef work but again this thread is collecting great ideas.

we have not had a long enough timeline yet for anyone to be accused of faking. All tiny systems on this board go through a phase where the owner senses success after a few months but you don't see that after three years. If pj doesn't put up sufficient pics in 2015 let's gig him! :)

as i think more about setup, i'm focusing on really the basics of a closed system - trying to ballpark balancing stoichiometry of the competing metabolic reactions. this is really what it all boils down to in this type of system. pj took a novel approach that actually makes sense if you look at it, theoretically better than the separated metabolic component approach others are taking (including the creators of the ecosphere). it certainly could be working.

i actually am favoring pj's approach... or i might use a blend of his approach and the other.

Whys - is your shrimp in your ecosphere still alive after 12 years??

These are really cool, and while I am not sure they can last forever, in the short-term they are very interesting...

I was making light bulb terrariums today and thought how cool it would be to have a small ecosystem in one.

I wouldn't be able to seal it of course but it would be really cool... any thoughts on using a light bulb as a container?

Well I screwed up. :tears:

I removed a couple of rocks from my DT, which had chitons, asterinas, and blue clove polyps on them. I thought it would be okay to put them in the Jar - I thought wrong.

All of the polyps died, the asterinas are nowhere to be found, and the chitons have buried themselves in the sandbed. As a result, I'm assuming the ammonia spiked and killed everything else in the Jar. All of the amphipods and other crustaceans are dead, and there are now no signs of movement.

Well, I guess I'll leave it be for awhile and see if it comes back to life. *sigh* fingerscrossed

Well I screwed up. :tears:

I removed a couple of rocks from my DT, which had chitons, asterinas, and blue clove polyps on them. I thought it would be okay to put them in the Jar - I thought wrong.

All of the polyps died, the asterinas are nowhere to be found, and the chitons have buried themselves in the sandbed. As a result, I'm assuming the ammonia spiked and killed everything else in the Jar. All of the amphipods and other crustaceans are dead, and there are now no signs of movement.

Well, I guess I'll leave it be for awhile and see if it comes back to life. *sigh* fingerscrossed

Don't open it, and take some pics. Something has got to be alive in there. Let it go and see where it takes you.

Mr. A - Where did you get those jars?

Don't open it, and take some pics. Something has got to be alive in there. Let it go and see where it takes you.

I checked yesterday and saw some copepods scurrying about. It's really cool watching them "click" around with no water movement. It's how I imagine the microscopic organisms swimming around in the black abyss.

girlfriend's parents gave her a set. i commandeered one, took off the handle and installed a little pressure switch led under the lid

i can't bring myself to seal it completely.

i'm gonna wait at least a week before i post pics - i can't believe it would last very long.

thanks for your observations and records pj. i like your approach - what i mean by that i won't elaborate on.

as a biologist with extensive and novel knowledge in marine microbial ecosystems, i have some thoughts and insights that i'm very reluctant to do post in this thread. after reading Whys' thread (with everything copyrighted and trademarked) and his thread in the lounge about inventions and again, copyrighting and trademarking everything, with a clear intention to ultimately profit off anything he possibly can (and being overly paranoid about someone else beating him to the buck), i'm worried about innovations i think would be make or break for this system being hijacked for his own monetary gain; i think a closed marine reef version of the ecosphere would be a hot item.

this is exactly the thing he's outspoken and paranoid about, so i can't see how he can protest this post.

anyhow, take it as you like. i'll be working on mine and post pics eventually.

thanks for your observations and records pj. i like your approach - what i mean by that i won't elaborate on.

as a biologist with extensive and novel knowledge in marine microbial ecosystems, i have some thoughts and insights that i'm very reluctant to do post in this thread. after reading Whys' thread (with everything copyrighted and trademarked) and his thread in the lounge about inventions and again, copyrighting and trademarking everything, with a clear intention to ultimately profit off anything he possibly can (and being overly paranoid about someone else beating him to the buck), i'm worried about innovations i think would be make or break for this system being hijacked for his own monetary gain; i think a closed marine reef version of the ecosphere would be a hot item.

this is exactly the thing he's outspoken and paranoid about, so i can't see how he can protest this post.

anyhow, take it as you like. i'll be working on mine and post pics eventually.

Interesting, didn't know about his other forums. I really liked this thread, but I guess I shouldn't post here anymore.

not necessarily.

his thread in the lounge was clearly about "making millions".

this thread MIGHT be legit, but i'm not entirely sure given his online disposition here on NR and elsewhere.

i'm just not gonna take any chances. his extreme pressure on you to "substantiate" your claims (and obviously divulge methodology) didn't really make sense... i mean, who cares? it's a discussion thread, not a competition.

AquaticEngineer
while he does have an entire forum where he's the only person posting, i was talking about this thread in the lounge:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=304822

he's big on "entrepreneuring"

Ok, just read through that one.....

Not cool. He puts a jar competition so he can steal ideas. That is low.

Just re-read Jarquarium challenge thread.........

not necessarily.

his thread in the lounge was clearly about "making millions".

this thread MIGHT be legit, but i'm not entirely sure given his online disposition here on NR and elsewhere.

i'm just not gonna take any chances. his extreme pressure on you to "substantiate" your claims (and obviously divulge methodology) didn't really make sense... i mean, who cares? it's a discussion thread, not a competition.

Hmmmm, making millions, savings lives, closed systems, reef tanks, jarquariums.....

I got it. Its all so clear now.

Whys is going to make a little blinking light that comes on to warm you of an impending crash of your closed system jarquarium reef, thus saving the lives of millions of copepods.

Pure genius, Whys didnt I think of it first?!?!

©2011 Bat #### Crazy -All Rights Reserved.

BTW, my anemones are still quite happy in my Jarquariums, and I cannot prove this..........or can I......... :o

AquaticEngineer

My moonglow shotglass jarquarium is still going strong :D I've been dropping in some live tigriopus every once in a while until I they start to breed, and feeding the moonglow a single mysis shrimp once a week .

It's officially been up for 1 month now :D There's already a couple things I would change, but I'll save that for the next one and let this one run its course.

IMG_20120716_121807.jpg

IMG_20120716_121827.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mine is still going. Not much to take pictures of though. I've spotted a few new amphipods that have appeared, so I'm assuming things are stabilizing since the crash last month. No news other than that.

Edited by rb1685