Coral Vue Hydros

Jarquarium Challenge

Whys

AquaticEngineer
Q:

The anemone does not need circulation of any type?

I blow on the water surface every once in a while and use an eye dropper to feed it occasionally.

They are found buried in sand in the upper tidal zone.

surgicalsense
I blow on the water surface every once in a while and use an eye dropper to feed it occasionally.

They are found buried in sand in the upper tidal zone.

Thank you, very interesting.

Pj take the thousand bucks if he's offering it...

Too harsh, these simple ecosystems are capable of doing everything pictured here especially since you all don't consider some algae a crash.

Hey guys just found this thread and was amazed. These little jar systems are a awesome piece around the house or office. I see a lot of fails though.

Can anyone reccomend a small one to get my feet wet here?

Why's Ill send ya a jar once done. The pico is getting taken down and I wouldn't mind replicating the crash, leaving it in a tank for a month and then building the jar.

I dont know how the jar is surviving, I can take parameters and maybe put a live web cam feed for the current one.

Also, Why, you should take the offensiveness a notch down. Just ask and you should receive everything you want to know about the jar. If you want me to try to replicate the jar I will. I hope you are a man of your word and send me that check for each month.

I am always a man of my word Pj. I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it. You think you have the jar? Then the money is yours.

Why don't you guys get it? Or are you still trying to bluff? I NEVER DO!

What do you all think happens if Pj miraculously delivers on his jar? I make a $5000 dollar contribution to science. I give a small donation to an obvious genius of a marine biologiest. Guess what? I can TOTALLY LIVE WITH THAT. :P

Show me the jar Pj. SHOW ME THE JAR. :)

Pj take the thousand bucks if he's offering it...

Too harsh, these simple ecosystems are capable of doing everything pictured here especially since you all don't consider some algae a crash.

Keeping you on record for this one. ;)

Edited by Whys

now dont think Im predicting and endless lifespan for your corals in a still container, but yes its impressive how long theyve gone so far. My prediction that could be wrong is 1 year or less. if ya'll get briareum or zoanthids or an anem to stay alive in a still jar past one year Im impressed. To do it without an algae invasion would make me backflip

I'm with Whys on this one. (although maybe not as militant, or wanting to put any money on it). Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I couldn't keep aiptasia alive for more than a week or so. I don't think that larger organisms that need a steady supply of nutrients can survive in a jar like this for more that a while. Although, my jars rely on the algae for oxygen where PJ's get it from gas exchange at the surface.

I'm not saying that I don't believe PJ, just saying that it seems highly unlikely that he was able to successfully keep that jar even though all the current methodology says it shouldn't happen.

Update on my jars....

They are the same.

AquaticEngineer

How detailed of a biotope are we considering a "miracle of science" ?

I've had my tigriopus / algae / phytoplankton glass vases going since October with nothing but natural sunlight and once a week water top offs.

The main colonies have been going in the garage since last July when I harvested them from the coast on just a fluorescent light.

I see gas exchange happening in the sand bed on both of them.

Edited by AquaticEngineer

Its not a miracle but there's just no documentation for it lasting long term on the Web or in printed material so its pretty new, good stuff you guys are doing and that several months you've mentioned is evident by details in your pics engineer. I fancy myself an age spotter/verifier of tank claims based on small details in the pics, so far I think everyone is telling the truth allowing for some eutrophication variables among tanks.

Once we get up to a year with verified pics of an anem or soft coral I think it will be new ground, so apparently you are close.

I already like any one of these tanks/jars more than an ecosphere with no cnidarian life.

Sure they paved the way with Hawaiian red ops but now i'm ten years bored by that and want to be shown other amazing adaptivity by corals or anems.

That's pretty new stuff, the real low tech ecosystem stuff beyond a few shrimp is usually freshwater work (see planted tank.net nano forum)

The saltwater version of noncirculated/non heated invert tanks is not common at all.

Still I wish you guys would find a way to prevent the infestation of hair algae but jeeze how much can we demand of a hands off reef...keeping the focus animals alive is neat new ground.

AquaticEngineer
Still I wish you guys would find a way to prevent the infestation of hair algae but jeeze how much can we demand of a hands off reef...keeping the focus animals alive is neat new ground.

That's why I chose the animals I have in mine :) The tigriopus californicus main diet is small filamentous algae a d decaying algae. I'm working on figuring out a filter feeding animal that can withstand the environmental stresses and take care of my phytoplankton blooms. Next anemone I'm trying may help with that since it prefers small particle foods, its a metridium senile. Wish me luck, this summer will be the real proving grounds.

Thanks Why for the hype of the little pico jar. Girlfriend now loves it even more. Well the second jar is near its completion, a week more and it is set to go. And no it is not in a humidor, it is a replica of the first one. MONEY!!!!

Update:

I'm very tempted to open mine to do some water testing, but I'm afraid this will disrupt whatever balance has established. The jar has been sealed and running since 5/11, and it seems to be quite stable. It's not much to look at, but there are lots of new amphipods and copepods scurrying around. There is this one little creature with antennae that are at least twice its body length. Pretty cool under a magnifying glass. If I had a macro lens (and a DSLR for that matter), I'd try to snap some pics. I'll see what I can do with my point 'n' shoot.

animalmaster6

Got a bowl vase thing that's fairly big that I'm going to do. I also need to get a couple of jars and I'd like to do a shot glass. Expect lots of pics!

AquaticEngineer
Got a bowl vase thing that's fairly big that I'm going to do. I also need to get a couple of jars and I'd like to do a shot glass. Expect lots of pics!

I'm gonna do a room temp vase in a glass cylinder about 2 feet tall and 12" in diameter. I walk past em almost everyday and they are under $20. Worst case scenario I can probably move most of my tiger pod grow out into it, it'll look a lot classier than a bunch of 2 liter bottles I bet :lol:

animalmaster6
I'm gonna do a room temp vase in a glass cylinder about 2 feet tall and 12" in diameter. I walk past em almost everyday and they are under $20. Worst case scenario I can probably move most of my tiger pod grow out into it, it'll look a lot classier than a bunch of 2 liter bottles I bet :lol:

I'd love to do some CW stuff in a large vase with no equipment but I don't think CW stuff would appreciate room temps.

AquaticEngineer
I'd love to do some CW stuff in a large vase with no equipment but I don't think CW stuff would appreciate room temps.

Ahhh see that is key......not using coldwater stuff.

Upper tidal zone temperate creatures ;)

I'll be picking out critters that at most get splashed with water when the high tide comes in and live in stangnant pools.

animalmaster6
Ahhh see that is key......not using coldwater stuff.

Upper tidal zone temperate creatures ;)

I'll be picking out critters that at most get splashed with water when the high tide comes in and live in stangnant pools.

That's what I meant. My meaning of CW is just about any water around here :lol:

There's a bunch of stagnant pools I'll have to take a look at.

Why am I the only one who notices these things? :lol:

jarquarium_seal.jpg

Totally random deck of cards, I swear! I mean, I knew I wanted to use the joker, but when I saw it wasn't what I expected, I was actually disappointed. I decided to use it anyway.

You see? Serendipity makes jokes, once you learn to listen. :D

*sigh*...

Me, militant? All I talk about is love. I've offered Pj a honorable way out each and every step of the way. Even now, all I ask is an admission. Yes, I put money on it. Why? Because it's important. What I'm trying to facilitate in this thread is important.

How many potential partners in research have turned away because they saw Pj's jar and assumed they couldn't compete? I guess all some of you see are tiny jars full of critters destined to be dead. I see the opportunity to leverage cloud computing toward the saving of our oceans. Some of you want glory and a prize to be won. I want to work together to knock down a few variables so that those who come after us can start one step ahead.

I created this thread here on Nano-Reef and in so doing I now believe myself to have a responsibility to continue to moderate it. Honestly, if it was up to me, I'd just create a new net by a similar name and span it over a few other websites. Instead, I have to deal with Pj's interference so that those few who are serious about this project, can continue their efforts without false perceptions of failure created by false successes. Yes, it's important, so I put money on it.

The near complete lack of support I receive in return, is disappointing. But I remain true to my commitments and I NEVER retreat from my own threads.

Also, I've collected some information. I would have posted it a couple weeks ago, but for some reason I've been distracted.

First, I realized I had placed the LCD thermometer in the wrong location on my first jar and have corrected it with my second. In a no flow system, the thermometer should be up top.

whys_jarquarium-2_1.jpg

Second, I wanted to know what the green house effect is on this thing, so placed it in direct sunlight and took a number of readings. It's important to note that direct sunlight will cause an LCD thermometer to give a false reading and a couple of minutes in shade is required.

+10 degrees ferinheight.

Additionally, after extracting the final shrimp corpse, I sealed up the first jar and have left it on the shelf next to my ecosphere. I put my micronta up to the surface and saw some red amoeba like things crawling around. So while microscopic, there is still life in there. I'm thinking of opening it up and taking a water sample for my microscope.

whys_jarquarium-1_3.jpg

Finally, to Pj and Brandon both, if you are unwilling or unable to provide further evidence of your claims, despite my generous incentives, but continue to spam this thread with your lies and fraud, then I will be forced to seek recourse with the website administrators. Don't believe me? Just try it.

<3

Me, militant?

I know you don't like me much, but...

I'm just saying that maybe your taking this a bit more serious than the Internets. I still agree with you, but lighten up a bit.

why-so-serious-14.jpg

animalmaster6
Finally, to Pj and Brandon both, if you are unwilling or unable to provide further evidence of your claims, despite my generous incentives, but continue to spam this thread with your lies and fraud, then I will be forced to seek recourse with the website administrators. Don't believe me? Just try it.

I know you try to take this seriously but people have jobs and a life. Pj is probably very busy, and life does come before his hobby. Also, don't doubt Brandon. He's had more success than anybody in this field. He's done all this stuff so don't call him a liar lol. Look up his work.

Also, the website moderators aren't going to do anything about this. There is no reason to step in this thread. :lol: They aren't spamming. Do you know what spam is? They've been generous enough to take pictures and post them here. Don't make it their job to do so. They are trying to contribute, respect that.

brandon429

Whys nobody is trying to wreck your thread. you need to let the public decide if there's an issue with pj,, we don't need guidance interpreting someones work!

as long as your thread isn't disrespected you don't get full control over it, for goodness sake I've had some posts from you in my peroxide threads that were left field harsh but not quite as rough as you were on pj

I expect all kinds of opinions when writing in public forums.

You don't want your science protected like that man, you want it such that skeptics stand no chance and you -want- to tangle with them. You love your jars much better after these exchanges for sure.

Edited by brandon429
brandon429

So I know when to check back, when are you going to stock out your jar whs? It looks empty i'm wanting some variation as a member of your demanding public! :)

MrAnderson

first time i noticed this thread... cool idea even tho op is a tool.

im gonna give it a go with one of these bad boys:

24bq2di.jpg

but i don't think i'm gonna post it in here, prolly in members tanks or something. too much crazy in here.