Cultivated Reef

AquaStyleOnline Club

basicfisherman

Hi im about to make an order with aquastyles. I plan on using 8 cool whites (aswell as 8 neutrals). however i have 8 Luxeon III cool whites just lying around and im curious if i should use them. will the bridgelux cool whites be brighter/better or the luxeons?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my order today. Everything is mounted to the heat sink, blues are all wired up (sans driver, doing those last), and whites are halfway done. Still have to finish the whites, then wire the exotics and install drivers, but work got in the way. I plan to finish it when I get home in a few hours (took a half day so I could sign for the package, I has problem?).

12 RB, 12 4500k white, 4 TV, 2 DR, 2 TR, 2 CB.... over a 10g AIO.

Pics to come once completed.

I just purchased a kit from another member here who already had the wiring and everything done, so I guess I can join the club:) ?

That being said, I am in need of some help with the hanging kit that comes with these.

I need to mount mine to a drop ceiling in my office. How on earth do these kits work?

I just purchased a kit from another member here who already had the wiring and everything done, so I guess I can join the club:) ?

That being said, I am in need of some help with the hanging kit that comes with these.

I need to mount mine to a drop ceiling in my office. How on earth do these kits work?

Fair warning. Be carful about hanging the light off of the T-bar of the drop ceiling. Safe way would be to hang from main bracing that the T-bar is hung from. I've seen the T-bar bend and collapse from additional wieght. I'm not saying it will happen. Just making you aware so you will check how it is hung before doing anything.

Hook'Em2006

quick question: Has anyone had success growing SPS with one of these kits? I have the 24 LED kit and am wanting to try my hand at SPS. Is this ok? Its a 28g Nano Cube using 12 10k White and 10 Royal Blue and 2 Pink. (going to take the pink out soon when I get my 2 more Blues)

These are horrible phone pics but you can see some of the growth on my SPS frags (ORA Blue Hawkins, Bird of Paradise and Blue Tort). I'm only running 16 LEDs on a 20L.

First picture - 1/1/2012

fts-1.jpg

Second picture - 3/7/2012

Photo12.jpg

Hook'Em2006
These are horrible phone pics but you can see some of the growth on my SPS frags (ORA Blue Hawkins, Bird of Paradise and Blue Tort). I'm only running 16 LEDs on a 20L.

First picture - 1/1/2012

fts-1.jpg

Photo12.jpg

Well, that settles that! I am gonna pick up some birds nest!

jedimasterben

First picture - 1/1/2012

What colors of LEDs do you have over that, and what levels are they at?

jedimasterben
50/50 Cool White & Royal Blue. Both at 100%.

Awesome. So my 3x 4500k and 6x royal blue per tank (plus 9x exotics per to add more PAR and spectrum) should work out nicely.

Does Aquastyle not sell 14 led dimmable kits without heatsinks ? I think the heasinks cost the most for shipping.

The shipping is $35 to California for a $70 item.

Tried contacting them a couple of times but no response. were you folks able to get smaller dimmable kits without the heatsinks ?

jedimasterben
Does Aquastyle not sell 14 led dimmable kits without heatsinks ? I think the heasinks cost the most for shipping.

The shipping is $35 to California for a $70 item.

Tried contacting them a couple of times but no response. were you folks able to get smaller dimmable kits without the heatsinks ?

No, they don't sell them without heatsinks. Shipping from HK starts at $15, and adding any size heatsink brings it to around $27.

I've tried contacting Ray a few times now, but nothing. I'm afraid that I can't order a custom kit without contacting him first. Has anyone that ordered a kit since he stopped responding to non-purchase emails been able to post-order customize the kit?

065e254d.jpg

First string of 4 for a total of 72. It's coming together slowly!

You added an extra "http://" to your picture link. Fixed it for ya here, though. :)

No, they don't sell them without heatsinks. Shipping from HK starts at $15, and adding any size heatsink brings it to around $27.

I've tried contacting Ray a few times now, but nothing. I'm afraid that I can't order a custom kit without contacting him first. Has anyone that ordered a kit since he stopped responding to non-purchase emails been able to post-order customize the kit?

You added an extra "http://" to your picture link. Fixed it for ya here, though. :)

I just ordered another kit for my seahorse tank. I asked him to add a couple of Violet. He said it wouldn't be a problem. I guess we'll see when I get my kit? First order I just put my request to change to Cool White in the notes and he filled my request.
Do you think a 14 led kit would be enough for a 14 gal biocube with softys and some lps?
Yup, here is par readings on my tank.

par16LED20L.jpg

nice.ok here another ? im gonna do the 14 led kit then.Should i add any other color leds into the mix while doing so? like red or uv's? other whites? Im new to this led stuff.Oh and how long on average to get these after order?

B) Hi Everyone,

I have decided to go with the AquaStyle 36 DIY LEDs Dimmable Kit for my 28g NanoCube. My goal is to retrofit this in the hood as done by BBoss to his Biocube.

I would also like to continue using my Digital Aquatics controller to control the lighting schedule. Can I do this easily with any of the two drivers offered in the AquaStyle 36 DIY LED Dimmable kits?

Also, What ratio of LEDs should I use for a mixed reef? I want the Royal Blues, Cool Whites, & maybe a Violet or two. Any advice is appreciated, as I would like to place my order today. Thanks.

Great DIY thread BBOSS!!!!

Its done, up and running! I tweaked his build a bit: Built my own heatsink with 3/4" U channel (lowes), mounted my Heatsink with a custom fab bracket screwed to the hood (into some existing screw mounts). Ditched the stock moon lights to be able to reuse my Truelumen strip (tried incorporating the stock moonlights to the transformer but it pulled too much juice and dimmed my truelumens), cahnged the layout to maximize heatsink contact, the fans come on with my Blues ( keep it cool start to finish).

Other than that follow his thread and its a great end result! And yes I got a bit disoriented while wiring but it WORKS! (the fish told me they thought it looked great!)

IMAG0110.jpg

I went a week without a response. As soon as i put in the order with notes added explaining what i wanted in the kit I had a response back. Follow up emails went back and forth for 3 weeks for a total of 8 responses from Ray. Other than the 12 hour lag due to timezones, I was happy with the level of communication. I actually worked with Ray to get him to carry the Cyans. He comped me a free upgrade form the 14 to 24 kit for the delay in waiting for everything to come in stock. He even through in 2 extra LEDs.

B) Hi Everyone,

I have decided to go with the AquaStyle 36 DIY LEDs Dimmable Kit for my 28g NanoCube. My goal is to retrofit this in the hood as done by BBoss to his Biocube.

I would also like to continue using my Digital Aquatics controller to control the lighting schedule. Can I do this easily with any of the two drivers offered in the AquaStyle 36 DIY LED Dimmable kits?

Also, What ratio of LEDs should I use for a mixed reef? I want the Royal Blues, Cool Whites, & maybe a Violet or two. Any advice is appreciated, as I would like to place my order today. Thanks.

I'd say ditch the maxwellan drivers included in the kits and go with the dimmable meanwells they sell. Ray can swap those out and adjust the price of the kit. Those will be compatible with your Digital Aquatics controller.

As for color, it's probably well worth your time to read the LED aesthetics thread. There are differing opinions on what looks best but almost all agree that cool whites and royal blues by themselves look too washed out.

IMO, I'd say the following would be a good mix to start with:

4NW 4500k

6CW 6500k

14-16 Royal Blues

3 cyan

3 deep red

6 true violets

Look into creating a cluster design for the exotics and run them without optics. Go for a tri-cluster of red/cyan/royal blue and you will end up with a bright white light with less disco problems. Maybe even put them on their own driver.

Archived