Coral Vue Hydros

Rio Grande Twins

Spirofucci

Spirofucci

I got my corals from Morgan on Saturday!! Oh yea! Got some purdy zoas, a paly, some SPS and huge piece of meteror shower that looks quite a bit different than the one I have. Sorry, no pics, I was lazy this weekend and never got to a scrub down the tank and perform a w/c.

I do have a question for my compadres: Over the last month some of my zoas have been shrinking and not opening and a colony or two are almost always closed and now all of them seem to be not very happy. The rest of the tank is doing fine with perfect parameters. I cannot see anything crawling around on them. What should I do??? Your help and advice is always appreciated!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do have a question for my compadres: Over the last month some of my zoas have been shrinking and not opening and a colony or two are almost always closed and now all of them seem to be not very happy. The rest of the tank is doing fine with perfect parameters. I cannot see anything crawling around on them. What should I do??? Your help and advice is always appreciated!

Are you able to pull out one of the affected colonies to try a FW or coralRX dip?

Alternatively, weetabix has a sticky on the forum about all things Zoanthid, sometimes vit C dosing helps. But my zoanthids will melt for no reason at all after doing well for several months. Unexplained.

Spirofucci

Hey thanks for the fast response Kat! They are all attached to a little rock sculpture I made a while back, so it shouldn't be too hard to carefully pull it out and dip the whole thing. I'll do some research, check out Ms. Weetabix's sticky and maybe post on the Coral thread to ask for more advice. Thanks my dear!

What's your ALK sitting at? My zoas/palys were doing horribly. I tested and found my dKH sitting at 5ish. Soon as I brought it up to 8, they looked great again. You have a lot of sps that are probably sucking it down heavily. If you aren't dosing daily, you may have to start. As soon as I kept my ALK stable, the zoas and palys flourished again. I would look into that first. If that's ok....then it might be a bug and a dip would be in order.

Hope you figure it out!!!!! You have such a nice collection!!!!!

Spirofucci
What's your ALK sitting at? My zoas/palys were doing horribly. I tested and found my dKH sitting at 5ish. Soon as I brought it up to 8, they looked great again. You have a lot of sps that are probably sucking it down heavily. If you aren't dosing daily, you may have to start. As soon as I kept my ALK stable, the zoas and palys flourished again. I would look into that first. If that's ok....then it might be a bug and a dip would be in order.

Hope you figure it out!!!!! You have such a nice collection!!!!!

Thanks Gena! All my params are spot on. So I did a FW dip and a bunch of critters got washed out. It was hard to tell what kind because I used a white bucket. Funny though, a bunch of very tiny brittle stars were at the bottom of the bucket. I'll post some very crappy pics in a few minutes. Zoas are still pissed and mostly closed so far.

Spirofucci

So here are a few very crappy pics. Zoas are not happy. :(

I think I'm gonna try and put my old RSM lights on just to take some pics and see how it comes out. I was also thinking of taking my tank to Walmart or Sears for a cheap photo shoot!

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0710.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0703.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0714.jpg

Spirofucci
Give them a day to recover. Did you see any amphipods?

There was a bunch of "junk" at the bottom of the bucket but it was very hard to tell exactly what type of critters were in there. I was able to pull the whole rock sculpture out and dip it. All my zoas are on the rock. I know I do have pods that hang in the zoas, just don't know if they are good or bad one's or if that is even the problem. Thanks Kat!

Reef Goddess

Your zoos don't look very unhappy to me. I just saw a couple that were closed in the pics. Are you giving them good flow? All your fish are reef safe right?

Everything else is looking great! The meteor shower will do better lower down, it prefers a more shady spot. In high light it will lose the blue body.

New bikini pic on the way..... :P

My girl friend turned me into a sand mermaid when we went camping a couple weeks ago.

memermaid.jpg

Buy my corals, they are even sexier!!! :D

Reef Goddess

I tried to send you these pics, but I was rejected by your server more being an over-achiever.

I actually have tons of corals, just takes me a long time to list everything. My life is a little upside down lately, but it's getting back to normal.

P5110012.jpg

P5150021.jpg

P5110010.jpg

Spirofucci
Your zoos don't look very unhappy to me. I just saw a couple that were closed in the pics. Are you giving them good flow? All your fish are reef safe right?

Everything else is looking great! The meteor shower will do better lower down, it prefers a more shady spot. In high light it will lose the blue body.

New bikini pic on the way..... :P

Thanks!!! I have two clowns, a midas and a blue dart fish and the mp10 is right above the zoa rock. I'll go ahead and move the meteor shower lower.

(patiently waiting for SI swimsuit pic)

Reef Goddess

Come on my reef girls, don't let me be the lonely, only bikini shot! I'm willing to share the spotlight. :P A couple more pictures from the audience and we'll make Mark's thread the most popular one on NR.

I tried to send you these pics, but I was rejected by your server more being an over-achiever.

I actually have tons of corals, just takes me a long time to list everything. My life is a little upside down lately, but it's getting back to normal.

P5110012.jpg

P5150021.jpg

P5110010.jpg

Ms. Morgan, please stop making me drool on my screen. I can;t have florida riccordeas! Stop it! Stop it now! :slap:

Ms. Morgan, please stop making me drool on my screen. I can;t have florida riccordeas! Stop it! Stop it now! :slap:

Why can't you have ricordeas?

I think you should try again Kat. You just need to get a nice healthy one to start with and then put it in the right spot in your tank.

I've tried, I really have. They start out fine then they shrink up to a tiny knot

IMG_2150.JPG

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

And the one in the frag prison was this one on the left and look at it now!:

IMG_20120502_120811.jpg

I'm having much better luck with the Yumas. Strange.

Spirofucci
That's weird. Where do you put them in your tank? :huh:

Also, was this ric problem you speak of in your old tank?

For some reason I really think you should try again. Maybe it's a mental kinda thing. You just have to want it.

Archived