Top Shelf Aquatics

The Unofficial WalMart Pico Contest

streetsong

We'll make you a judge!!! How's that sound... :)

Sounds awesome =0)

Big Al's Big al's website

Reasonable in price and they usually ship quickly. I've used them in the past.

Worth adding this to the first post if others want to buy and join - at $45 it's still pretty good value.

Micro-Reefs is great! It's very nice of Mike to sponsor this contest. :)

Would you accept a small, fully functional "in-filter" pico protein skimmer (built by me) as a prize for the winner?

And don't forget this prize addition too!

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im really considering buying one.. :)

Hey Mark, Walmart is now out of stock on this set up so you may have to look at other sources. Are you the Mark I met today at Coral Corral????

Rob

Hey Mark, Walmart is now out of stock on this set up so you may have to look at other sources. Are you the Mark I met today at Coral Corral????

Rob

i dont think.. i live in nc, and hm big als has it for 45 dollars, so i might buy it from there.

i dont think.. i live in nc, and hm big als has it for 45 dollars, so i might buy it from there.

Sorry, I met a dude named Mark at one of our LFS stores and he said he was going to jump in on this thread too. I think Big Al's is about the cheapest I found besides the sold out Walmart kits. Good luck, keep us posted.

Rob

We will be able to use any light fixture we want, correct?

You can add a light fixture or any other equipment and or mod but you must use all stock parts that came with the kit, tank light and filter and they must be visible and in use on the deco2 tank setup.

Hope this helps. Rules are in the first post in this thread. :)

Rob

I think I've lost my mind, but I'm in. :wacko:

Please add me to the list.

:welcome:

Yeehaw, another contestant in the walmart pico contest. WTG PBJ. Be sure to keep us updated and show us those pics' :)

You can add a light fixture or any other equipment and or mod but you must use all stock parts that came with the kit, tank light and filter and they must be visible and in use on the deco2 tank setup.

Hope this helps. Rules are in the first post in this thread. :)

Rob

Do we have to use the stock cf bulb?

If you're adding the prizes to the first post, don't forget to add my pico skimmer contribution. :)

I'm really thinking of doing a NPS pico with mostly non-photosynthetic LPS and some sponges. I won't be able to get the tank for a week or two, though. Does anyone else here have similar plans?

Yep, as I understand it, you must use hte stock light. If you want to hang a PAR38 above the stock light then fine =0)

noo, don't make me start another pico :lol: !

Jenny if NPS is your thing then i suggest doing an automated feeding system just like pj86 did for his pico. if he can keep a flame scallop thriving in that tank for this long, then his method of constant feeding is very adequate for NPS.

Okay, this is a tough call. I'm going to let Streetsong chime in on this one. In my personal opinion I would say yes, after all part of this contest is to see what people do with the same stock kit.

rob

Twisting your arm!!!!!! LOL

Okay, this is a tough call. I'm going to let Streetsong chime in on this one. In my personal opinion I would say yes, after all part of this contest is to see what people do with the same stock kit.

rob

I"m sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to get into a year long contest without understanding the rules compleately. I assume we can mod the filter into a tiny fuge and whatnot. So long as everything is used?

Jenny if NPS is your thing then i suggest doing an automated feeding system just like pj86 did for his pico. if he can keep a flame scallop thriving in that tank for this long, then his method of constant feeding is very adequate for NPS.

I'll have to look that up. I was thinking of doing some sort of slow drip system for feeding once I get some more difficult corals in the tank. I'm still doing research on the best method that doesn't cost a few hundred bucks, though.

If I do all NPS, would I be able to use the stock light to grow some macroalgae in the filter and use a few LEDs to light the DT?

I say we use everything stock. The only exception being that yes the filter can be modded into a fuge.

The contest would not be even if people changed the stock lighting.

If you're adding the prizes to the first post, don't forget to add my pico skimmer contribution. :)

I'm sure Streetsong will add your donation and BTW, thanks again. I bet he got a bit overwhelmed with all the great responses and trying to keep up with the posts. Me thinks he did a great job of setting this up what do ya'll think????? :grouphug:

Rob

I say we use everything stock. The only exception being that yes the filter can be modded into a fuge.

The contest would not be even if people changed the stock lighting.

I agree, but the stock light will make everything look like crap.

I"m sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to get into a year long contest without understanding the rules compleately. I assume we can mod the filter into a tiny fuge and whatnot. So long as everything is used?

You can mod the filter or even add another if you wish. I'm kinda thinking I may mod a AC 50 to add to my setup in addition to the stock filter.

You can mod the filter or even add another if you wish. I'm kinda thinking I may mod a AC 50 to add to my setup in addition to the stock filter.

Hopefully, Streetsong will clarify the lighting issue within the next couple of days and big als will still have the tanks in stock. I don't think that I could ever own another tank lit by cf lamps.

It is my preference that people be required to use the kit. This ensures a fairly even ground.

I've not seen the kit in action yet but, I am sure the PC's can't be that hideous. Just think of the PC's as retro-reefing. B)

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hi all,

We are honored to be donating one of our design tanks to this wonderful contest.

A little history on why I choose to donate the 1 gallon pico to the winner.

In 2005, I decided to implement the smallest reef I could find and keep it thriving. While visiting one of my LFS, I ran into the 1 2/3 gallon Huey Hung Glass Tank with Glass Top.

I instantly fell in love and took her home. After carefully picking the most basic parts, filter, PC fixture and a heater, I created something that had not been done before...

A tiny reef that started to flourish... :)

Nanotank would run a lot of contest and they made one for picos. I entered mine and it took first prize and made it all the way to a Marine Reef European Magazine, permits to print my tank were taken and I was a little famous in Europe for a while. :)

So, as an inspiration to the winner of the Tom Deco 2 contest, I will be offering the carbon copy design of the pico tank that took first prize in 2005. This is a 1 2/3 Acrylic tank, 9L x 6W x 7H, it comes with a acrylic top and your choice of clear, blue or black background. Also you get the Nano/Mag cleaner by Two Little Fishies, how else would you keep a pico looking like new everyday...

This will also be shipped to your home/office free of charge!!

Let me take you back to 2005... Pico Winner Summer 2005

25p74ux.jpg

This tank is one of my inspirations to bringing forth our small company Micro-Reefs LLC... A plethora of information for the pico lover in you... :)

May the games begin.... : :happydance:

I'm not a fan of the stock idea. IMHO the point of contests like these is to encourage creativity and ingenuity. If anything, I'd slap a water volume cap on the system and start the engines.

Archived