Coral Vue Hydros

rbaby' 60-F Dual View Panorama

rbaby

Looking good. Some people would kill to have your SPS problem. :happy:

What intensity were you running your nano? IMO skip the coral acclimation mode altogether. It basically cuts your set intensity in half. So obviously if you have the lights set at 10% (which is super low to begin) it will run your lights at 5%. I would ramp right up to whatever your last settings were at on the Nano. The optics on the Vega are all 80 degrees, so you will be getting less "punch" than the light coming from the Nano (40/70 degree optics). I've owned both lights and went through a similar transition...

I consider my SPS problem quite a nuisance--namely the spore release, it really is just everywhere it's made me think about buying new rock and replacing everything :( ...

My nano was running at 100% but I think it was slowly but surely bleaching things out so I need to simmer it down. I'm acclimating manually but I might try the acclimation mode and set it to around 30-40%.

Love those red nems!!!! I have one as well!

How fast do they grow for you? Do they split often?

Couple things:

Make sure you upgrade the software on the controller first thing. The old software is ... old.

Make sure you are NOT using the supplied power adapter. Use a phone charger or something instead. Buttons were super frustrating until I did this.

I switched from the SOL to the vega and I was going to use acclimation, but I didn't. Right now I'm almost maxed out with the intensities and everything is fine.

I didn't have a problem with the buttons--I also haven't updated the software. Namely because I am on a mac :) anything wrong with the old software?

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spirofucci

I've only had my red nem for about 5 months. For the first three months it walked under an overhang and sat there upside down. Then it at least moved to the side of the ledge. It is very purdy but still can't see it that well and nope, no split yet..........

I've only had my red nem for about 5 months. For the first three months it walked under an overhang and sat there upside down. Then it at least moved to the side of the ledge. It is very purdy but still can't see it that well and nope, no split yet..........

Oh no! Mine seems to be staying in view *fingers crossed*. I think the shipping stressed them out though because one of them split today and now I can't find the split one...he's probably out recovering somewhere.

Oh no! Mine seems to be staying in view *fingers crossed*. I think the shipping stressed them out though because one of them split today and now I can't find the split one...he's probably out recovering somewhere.

where did you get the red maxi-minis from? Just wondering since I might get one for my pico

If you're in L.A., I'll sell you one because I inadvertently bought 2--I got it from Atlantis Aquarium for $100 but you wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

So you hate the SPS, huh? I think it looks great in your tank!!!! If I was focusing on SPS I'd get some from you. I love the new red minis :wub:

Glad to see you back. This tank was a major reason I stared again.

The Elos ATO I got from you is freaking amazing, thanks again for that!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi all! It has been a long time. I've been trading off a lot of my old corals and getting more nems instead. I've travelled a lot for work and had left the tank to the hubby's care--naturally, it's a bit of a disaster.

He didn't dip a rock so now I have aiptasia everywhere--no biggie...I can eventually get some nudis. However, I'm feeling the need to replace my rock. Ridiculous vermitids have grown all over the place as well as my sps spawning that now just has sps taking valuable real estate :(. Could I replace my rocks with dry rock and sufficiently be able to not cycle with my sand and small rubble? I intend on chiseling out the encrusted wanted corals and anemones off the old rocks. Thoughts?

Bioload is very low...1 hermit, 2 snails. Got rid of lots of things when I started to travel a lot. Seriously though...no more sps for me lol the spawning thing is quite a nuisance...it's on my glass too I am having difficulty scraping :(

• 3 weeks later...

What a bloody project...! It's going to take me all weekend. I finished my new rocks earlier this week--really happy with how it turned out. John from Reef Cleaners was awesome and hooked me up with nano-sized rocks. I wanted an arch since some corals really really need the shade and I didn't have it with my old setup. My old rocks were also stacked--which turned out not to be so great with anemones wedging themselves in between things and making things fall. I made sure to secure my structure now to be able to be removed whole (in the event I ever want to replace sand down the line, it would be easier as well).

I've taken a few polyps of the remaining few zoo polyps and had to toss the rest (had vermetids growing through them and killing them)...and had to dislodge all of my anemones by breaking/drilling rocks. Also had to take my LPS and sand down whatever I could off of it and clean the skeleton...even my hermits had snail tubes all over it. Now it's all squeaky clean! There's still much to do but I know this reboot will be worth it.

I don't know how to dislodge my rhodacti, st. thomas and ricordea off of the old rocks though--any ideas?

Hi, rbaby!!!! Looking forward to the reboot :). You might try ice cubes on the St. Thomas mushroom since they have a larger foot. Not sure on the rhodacti or ricordea.

For me, I used a chisel+hammer combo and to break the rocks into smaller manageable sizes, I finish up with bone cutter.

Also, to have SPS spawn in a tank is a pretty rare so I applaud you for it.

...And that's one heck of a alcohol collection :happy:

Getting back into hobby? Nice, can't wait to see this new build of yours. Btw, you drink that much?

I never left, i just neglected my tank because I got busy at work. My husband has a scotch collection - we have 60+ bottles and about 100+ bottles of craft beer LOL...I'm actually allergic to alcohol.

For me, I used a chisel+hammer combo and to break the rocks into smaller manageable sizes, I finish up with bone cutter.

Also, to have SPS spawn in a tank is a pretty rare so I applaud you for it.

...And that's one heck of a alcohol collection :happy:

I know I read that SPS spawning in nanos IS rare--great in theory--quite terrible in reality. They just grew everywhere, in between polyps, on my glass, my lily pipes, overflow box...disaster. I trimmed 2 little stalks off and am keeping it--I'm hoping they don't spawn again :)...

So I cleaned out the remaining frags--cut the mushroom rocks into smaller manageable sizes and then just drilled/polished the surface to get rid of any pests on there. Sadly--while I was cleaning the tank in the tub, my grip slipped so now it's cracked :(--luckily, I have a rubbermaid I stuck everything into with a heater and mp10. I think I have a LFS I saw had a 60-F in stock in...will need to go in the AM. Bummer :(

Legendary Corals

Dang! I remember threads by you waaay back. I think you got one of the first full spectrum zoas too... Welcome back! Always loved your build.

• 2 weeks later...

So after everything has settled--I sold the remaining pieces I no longer wanted (there were lots--the longer I stay in the hobby the pickier I get)...and it feels like my tank is back to bare-bones. It doesn't help that I have 6 anemones that have decided to hide inside the arch :(...tips on how to entice them to come back out?

I love the new rockwork, it's very secure so now I can remove the big piece as a whole. The Leptastrea is responding well to finally getting shade from the intense lighting. The bleached areas are beginning to regain its color. We'll see about the Rhodactis though...the problem with a shallow tank is that lower-light corals don't have much of a choice in placement :(...

fts-06-26-14.jpg

fts-06-26-14-zoom.jpg

Archived