Innovative Marine Aquariums

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

So it appears that the trumpet is more than alright. Nice tank. Love the diversity and it has a nice natural look. Something I always strive forin my tanks. Nice goby!

Thank you! Yes, I think I panicked about the trumpet -- it seems to be doing well :D.

That favia is gorgeous!!!!! So is the trumpet, for that matter :happy:

Sounds like you probably should return the GCB :(

I am really happy with the favia! Kind of an impulse purchase, but the color changes have made it prettier than when I first brought it home. Yes, I may need to send the GCB back. It seems to be getting increasingly aggressive, and has even chased the trimma out of its favorite hiding spot. I prefer the trimma be hanging out on the rocks, but I don't like to see the GCB snap at it.

A couple random shots of Gilda, assorted filter feeders, and a portrait of stripes!

Gilda -- who me?

gilda1.bmp

Gilda

gilda2.bmp

Basket star, tube worms

basketstar1.bmp

Stripes

trimma_shrimp.bmp

That favia is gorgeous!!!!!

I swear the colors get more vivid every day! And it looks like velvet -- I keep wanting to pet it :lol:!

Edited by msscha
Gilda has such a lovable face. Corals are looking great.

She does! Her little mouth is crooked looking -- don't know if it is actually that way or just a trick of coloring, but it gives her such a cute :huh: expression!

Been spending much more time on other people's threads, as my tank is just hanging around, doing its tank-y thing. A couple of shots -- one of Gilda (who has the manners to pause long enough to get her picture taken -- I took about 20 of Bozette -- all but 1 was blurry and the one that was clear only had 1/2 of her body -- arg!!) and one of the yellow limpet which has really increased in size. I thought a big piece of yellow sponge had suddenly erupted, got closer, and realized it was the limpet. The snail in the picture is just an added bonus :happy:.

Gilda

gilda3.bmp

Yellow Limpet

yellow_limpet4.bmp

Amazing cube. Your photography is also really impressive. My cube is only about a month in, hope someday it's covered in awesome stuff like yours!

Is your tank all LPS and softies or do you have some SPS hiding in there? I'm just asking because I'm grappling with whether or not I'll be able to keep SPS myself. Right now I have two birds nest frags from a friend. One looked (and still looks) pretty dead when he gave it to me, and the other still has color but is pretty faint. I'm hoping that the stock cube (I have a 3rd generation) has enough lighting but I also have a kenya tree in there, and I hear they mess around with SPS through toxins. Just wondering on your thoughts.

Also I find it interesting that you don't run a powerhead in your cube. I added one on the other side of the output on the back wall and so far things look really happy. Basically it creates two currents that run along the sides of my cube which collide in the middle, creating a nice churn zone which all my corals seem to enjoy.

Amazing cube. Your photography is also really impressive. My cube is only about a month in, hope someday it's covered in awesome stuff like yours!

Thanks so much!! It took many months for the tank to get to its current state, and now I am watching it slowly "morph" into a truly established system. The secret to photography is a camera with a macro setting and a magnifying glass :D!

Is your tank all LPS and softies or do you have some SPS hiding in there? I'm just asking because I'm grappling with whether or not I'll be able to keep SPS myself. Right now I have two birds nest frags from a friend. One looked (and still looks) pretty dead when he gave it to me, and the other still has color but is pretty faint. I'm hoping that the stock cube (I have a 3rd generation) has enough lighting but I also have a kenya tree in there, and I hear they mess around with SPS through toxins. Just wondering on your thoughts.

All LPS and softies -- the LFS recommended against SPS given the specs of the tank (I didn't mod anything; only change is that I am using a stronger pump than the standard issue). I don't really know about the kenya tree -- sorry! I know that many cube owners have them, though. I went with the finger leather instead because I did want that "tree" look, but neither xenia or cloves have done well in my tank, and I got the impression that kenya may not do well, either. I really wanted a gorgonian! But that wasn't going to work well, either.

Also I find it interesting that you don't run a powerhead in your cube. I added one on the other side of the output on the back wall and so far things look really happy. Basically it creates two currents that run along the sides of my cube which collide in the middle, creating a nice churn zone which all my corals seem to enjoy.

I used to have a koralia hydor in there! The fish and corals seem to enjoy it, but I didn't. It took up too much visual real-estate, and I had to be very careful where it pointed or it created a sandstorm. That is why I went with the stronger pump. It keeps a gentle current going everywhere. All the corals in the tank wave back and forth -- except the blastos! -- and this was ultimately the effect I was going for. When I was choosing coral, I went for those that would be non-aggressive, needed moderate lighting, and appreciated low to moderate flow. There are those who have birds nest that is doing really well -- check out metrokat's tank!

Nice pictures, that pink mushroom looks crazy and the leather is looking lovely.

Thank you, Vicki!

Monday morning and everyone is accounted for...except the 1/2 dozen aiptasia I nuked last Friday. Crossing my fingers that they stay away for a while fingerscrossed . Everytime I've used aiptasia X, lots of them have come back. One thing I've noted, though -- the bigger the anemone, the more likely it is to die. The small ones can retreat so fast that they don't get fully dosed -- or at least that is my theory!

Tank plans for the next couple of weeks: today, 2 gallon water change (the new standard is 2 gallons instead of one); purchase filter pads or floss to take care of debris; bring gold coral banded back and get skunk and/or peppermints; get algae scraper for sides; pick up some rubble and glue and visualize my first fragging attempt (the fingerleather has a couple of small fingers that I would like to start with, though I am not in a hurry); investigate changing back middle chamber into cheato fuge by removing most of the bioballs, adding an in-tank light and, of course, some cheato; acquire female trimma goby or possibly YWG (low priority; just playing with idea).

Msscha, the tank is looking great, healthy and growing. Do you have a nano mag? It will help clean the glass where the corals or rock are too close to get your regular magnet cleaner to work.

Glad to see the trumpet recovering to its fluffy self. I might have to steal your favia, it's beautiful.

Edited by metrokat

A science journalist is currently on a cool trek through the ocean looking for plankton. She's offered to answer questions while she's out trekking. I thought this article on phytoplankton might be of interest!

Do you have a nano mag? It will help clean the glass where the corals or rock are too close to get your regular magnet cleaner to work.

I just got a nano-mag and it does a good job of getting into the small spaces, but it is not taking off this one particular kind of algae -- it forms little hard "buttons" on the glass. I'm pretty sure it isn't coralline b/c in the front corners, it's multiplied nicely into green stippled wallpaper! I need to get a scraper, a task which is on my list for the week. The tropical storm is making errands a PITA, though :angry: -- I like the rain, but when it's backed by wind blowing up inside the umbrella, what's the point of even trying to stay dry?! I'm grateful we're not on the coast -- they are flooding big time.

Algae Specks

algae_specks.bmp

Edited by msscha

Bozette on the Prowl

bozette5.bmp

Her Chosen Prey

gilda4.bmp

I just watched a stand-off that I wasn't fast enough to get a pictures of -- Gilda coming out of a "den" under the zoanthid rock, fins bristling, defiantly standing her patch of sand; Bozette nosing at her anyway. I foresee a non-peaceful confrontation in their future.

The Great Invert Exchange!

Finally did it! Got the gold coral banded shrimp out -- it was actually pretty easy, and in the process, the rocks got moved a bit which opened up the back wall and lets more light through the cave. Gilda is ecstatic since that is clearly her territory (she has a good size depression in the sand back there). The acan rock had to be removed for about a minute, and the purple-pink acan has been very angry/sad looking ever since. It looks like a shrunken head, and I am concerned about it. Also, the rock the toadstool leather was "sitting" got shifted just a bit, so I went to re-position it more securely only to find out it had adhered to the side of the tank! Yikes. It has re-expanded about 75% but looks kind of upset with life, too.

While at the lfs, I spent about 45 minutes going through every book James has looking to identify Gilda. No luck.

I brought home some chaeto for the corner, and James gave me some Dragon's Breath macro! Wow -- talk about slippery. I have it shoved under a ledge, and another piece stuck itself to the chaeto. Then, I also brought home a skunk cleaner, a peppermint shrimp, and 2 sexies! He'd dropped the price on the sexies from $20 to $12, and that pretty much sealed it. I don't think I acclimated the sexies long enough, but they seem happy to explore their new home. The peppermint is still in hiding, but the skunk has proven pretty bold thus far! I gave a very light afternoon feeding, and it jumped out all over stuff. Kind of fun to watch, and I've wanted one since the very beginning, so I'm sooo happy to have it in the tank!

Pics on the morrow -- have to go get kids!

Invert Pics and What is up with Gilda??

Wow, what a difference a day and the removal of a hostile shrimp makes. Gilda's personality has shifted overnight. Now that her cave space is not occupied by a snapping clawed coral banded shrimp, she has taken over that space with a vengeance. Now, she is the one turning into the snapper, and I've seen her go after both the skunk and the sexies this morning! Bozette still chases her, but she is actively staking out her territory, too. This does not bode well for her continued presence in the tank. I'll have to meditate on JediMasterBen's netting skills!!

The acan seems better this morning, and the toadstool reacted to food, though it hasn't extended as fully as it has in the past. The zoas are completely closed up this morning. Weird.

Otherwise, all the inverts are accounted for this morning -- yay!! Just some intro pics below. Most are not very good yet b/c everyone is shy -- or hiding from Gilda.

Mystery sponge thing I found while moving rocks

mystery_sponge.bmp

Sexy Shrimp!!

sexy_shrimp1.bmp

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

skunk_shrimp1.bmp

Peppermint (still mostly in hiding)

peppermint3.bmp

Edited by msscha

Your sexies are so well.. sexy!! I was so tempted by them at my lfs when they had a tank full but at $19.99 a pop i was unwilling to part with my money. Now they're all gone but i bet they'll get more in. I like your other shrimp too, i need to find time to go and pick up a cleaner shrimp.

I didn't realize how big Gilda is, i though she was smaller for some reason. I bet she'll settle down once she gets used to the new occupants.

Your sexies are so well.. sexy!! I was so tempted by them at my lfs when they had a tank full but at $19.99 a pop i was unwilling to part with my money. Now they're all gone but i bet they'll get more in. I like your other shrimp too, i need to find time to go and pick up a cleaner shrimp.

I didn't realize how big Gilda is, i though she was smaller for some reason. I bet she'll settle down once she gets used to the new occupants.

I didn't give her the chance. She has been removed from the system!

So, I've removed Gilda. It meant deconstructing the tank a bit and I had no choice but to move the toadstool in order to get her out from her cave beneath the bottom rock. Then, it was "simply" matter of trapping her between the two nets...which wasn't all the difficult. I put one on either side of one of her hiding spots, nudged a bit, and she swam straight into the other net. The tank is currently pretty ticked off again, but the peppermint and skunk are already happier! In fact, the skunk (oh heck, we'll call her "Scarlet") jumped on my hand right away and began cleaning! Both Scarlet and the peppermint are busy cleaning up the mess I made :). The sexies are camped out in the fingerleather -- I am hoping they find their way to the front on the rics, but they'll decide! And there is a clear spot for another zoas cluster -- yay :lol:!!

Okay -- gotta get Gilda to the lfs.

I read the Sexies thread in the invertebrate forum more closely -- didn't realize they may munch on coral if hungry! However, I don't think that will be a problem as I feed every day. This morning, everyone is here and accounted for -- woo hoo! The sexies have left the fingerleather for the rics and duncan up front. They don't seem to hang around each other much -- maybe I need to get a third? I was happy to see them chasing food on the sand with the skunk and peppermint (who has taken up residence in Gilda's hole under the cave's base rock -- may have to call it "Priss" :P). The toadstool had opened full back up, but fell, so is angry again b/c it was moved. I've managed to wedge it in a bit, and I hope it manages to stay there over the weekend. Also, the tank was looking a bit crowded up front -- something in how the rocks shifted, so I flipped the zoas rock around which allowed it to lay flat, moved the tubipora back to its original spot where it is less noticeable from the front, but looks great from the side, and moved the little piece of xenia to the tubipora's former position. This has opened up the front just a bit and the various textures and heights make it seem a bit deeper. Now, if I can get the detritus squared away, it should be smooth sailing for a while. May add another trimma or a YWG, but otherwise, this is it for a while! I'll post an FTS when everyone settles down and opens back up!

FTS -- still not great, but I have to get going!

fts_june_2012.bmp

Sexies in situ

sexy_shrimp2.bmp

Edited by msscha

Monday Morning Fatalities?

Need I say more...no skunk cleaner or peppermint shrimp to be found :angry: -- both sexies accounted for. Damn.

OTOH, the "red" acan is looking better now that the aiptasia nem is no more -- really, it isn't red; it's orange and minty-green, like South Beach!

red_acan2.bmp

Spotted a new blue feather duster this morning -- conveniently right up front!

featherduster_blue.bmp

I'll have to move these blastos -- they look unhappy since the trimma has taken up perching on their spot!

trimma9.bmp

And two more problems to correct. First, a bubble algae field has taken root along one edge -- it's only there, but I don't know what is feeding it. According to my water test at LFS last week, my water was "great" -- he even asked whether I actually had anything in the tank. But this is the 4th weeks it's continued growing!

bubble_seapearls2.bmp

Second, I don't think the zoas will appreciate the xenia growing so close!

zoas_xenia.bmp

UPDATE: It's 11:35, and I just saw the peppermint come out of hiding! Not sure where it was hiding, though. I've never had a shy peppermint, so was not expecting this behavior. Perhaps the skunk cleaner is also hiding someplace? This seems less likely since it was so bold last week. I also saw the trimma eat flake food, too. Cool!

Edited by msscha

The tank looks great.

Glad the shrimp has reappeared and those sexies are just too cute. I have xenia growing out of a zoa colony, it doesn't seem to bother them too much but i'm going to get rid of it at some point because i know it'll take over. Not sure how i'll get it out without cutting up some zoas but i'll give it a go.

Get a ywg and tell me how cute they are, i really want one! Not sure if one would do well with my 3 idiot fish though.