SaltCritters.com

msscha's 24 gallon office cube

msscha

Current FTS and a few other pics for fun

FTS -- July 2012

fts_july_2012.bmp

Basketstars 1 & 2 (I have 3 that I know of)

basketstar2.bmp

basketstar3.bmp

Sexy Shrimp

sexy_shrimp6.bmp

Through the looking glass

sideview5.bmp

Red Grape Caulerpa

redgrape1.bmp

Trumpet Coral -- whole and up close

neongreen_trumpet8.bmp

neongreen_trumpet9.bmp

Ric Garden

ric_garden2.bmp

Does this picture make me look fat?

trimma10.bmp

I freaking love your ricordia garden its really cool, how many ricordias did you actaully buy

Thank you! They've never split -- well, maybe one did, but not completely. So what is there is all I have every purchased which is 4 plugs, 2 of which had 2 polyps. They are just really happy in the tank, and this morning, post WC, they looked positively luminous floatingsmilies287nd.gif!

Wait. You have basket stars? Like this kind of basket star?

Basket-star-open.jpg

I have seen those while night diving. Never heard of them in captivity. The ones I saw were over a foot in diameter.

Wait. You have basket stars? Like this kind of basket star?

Basket-star-open.jpg

I have seen those while night diving. Never heard of them in captivity. The ones I saw were over a foot in diameter.

Yes, like that kind of basket star. Mine are much smaller than a foot! And as far as I can tell, there are 3 of them, much like the three bears -- a bigger one, a medium one, and a smaller one :lol: .

A kind of mixed Monday Morning

On the good side, everyone is alive and the corals look great! [correction: I just realized I haven't seen the peppermint shrimp come out. Damn. I must have a nocturnal predator of some kind] Even the sick acan is looking better and better. On the bad side, the cynano muck grew over the weekend, despite having been cleaned off (just with a scrubber pad while in the tank -- no 2(HO)). I didn't expect the chem-pure elite to automatically clean everything up, but I was hoping that it wouldn't be this bad this morning. ARG :angry: . Also, it's clear from the green algae on the back of the tank that my snails are not doing much. I'll need to pick up a couple more -- or maybe a handful of dwarf ceriths. Finally, the fans are making a whump-whump noise, like little helicopters. When I smack the top a couple of times, they go back to their loud buzz, but do not just get quietly humming. Merde :angry:.

Also on the good side, I spotted a new mollusk -- I'm thinking a clam (maybe a file clam), and it's huge (relatively speaking), with pretty stripes on its shell. Identification is difficult because its "mouth" is facing the back of the tank, nicely hidden by halimeda. From what I can sort of spot, it has white, short tentacles. Its colors are a little richer than what is in the picture, but its location is hard to get to from the front -- I had to go top down and use a flash b/c its also a shady spot. I have absolutely no idea where it's been up to now or how I never spotted it. But I am delighted nevertheless!

Cyano Muck

cyano_muck.bmp

New Clam

clam1.bmp

Update: I am such an idiot :P ! That clam isn't new -- it is the bivalve that used to be next to the micromussa. Somehow, the clam itself moved. I know they can do that, I just thought it was unlikely since it had spent so much time in that spot. Hmmm.

Edited by msscha

Sucks about the cyano. Yup, get more snails. Lovely new clam though, i was looking at clams in my lfs a few weeks ago, i'm very tempted.

Sucks about the cyano. Yup, get more snails. Lovely new clam though, i was looking at clams in my lfs a few weeks ago, i'm very tempted.

If I ever upgrade my lights, I'd consider a tridacna crocea. They are way cool.

The fans are $#%@%^$$ annoying as SH$t, i had the same problem as you. Just call up the company for new ones

Lol! I may give that a try -- or I may upgrade...

YAY. This requires a priss photo dump. I really want another shrimp, i miss Mr. Collins. I might have to live vicariously through your shrimp.

YAY. This requires a priss photo dump. I really want another shrimp, i miss Mr. Collins. I might have to live vicariously through your shrimp.

Lol! We'll see if she spends enough time out of her hidey-hole to get actual photos!

Sorry about your kitty :( What a lovely end though...so peaceful. My cats are getting up in age, both 16. I think they have quite a few years left in them though. It feels like they've been with us forever and it feels like they will always be with us. We got them right after we were married. Ok...I'm depressing myself now :lol:

Glad your shrimp showed up again!!!!!!!

I'm going to invest in some brightly colored acans. They are such a cool coral and I miss having them. They are fun to feed :happy: I like yours a lot!!!!!

####! Fans on cube are totally non-functional. Lights have only been on a couple of hours and it's already 78.4 degrees in the tank -- I don't know if that is the actual temp, but it is a full degree above what the thermometer usually says for the end of the day after lights have been on for 8 hours. I really don't have time for this :rant:.

Awesome thread! My search for pink/purplish stuff with bubbles brought me here ;) Spent most of my night at home reading it in it's entirety! Anyhoo, it seems I brought a spot of that cyano junk into my tank with a piece of candycane that I got last week. Oh joy! How are you battling it? I'm just starting my research on how to attack it, hopefully its not that bad of an omen. I'm brand new at this!

Awesome thread! My search for pink/purplish stuff with bubbles brought me here ;) Spent most of my night at home reading it in it's entirety! Anyhoo, it seems I brought a spot of that cyano junk into my tank with a piece of candycane that I got last week. Oh joy! How are you battling it? I'm just starting my research on how to attack it, hopefully its not that bad of an omen. I'm brand new at this!

I definitely have the whole pink/purple thing going! I am honored that you'd spend time going through the whole thread :). This is my second round of dealing with cyano, but the behavior of the stuff is a bit different from last time. Anyway, what I did before was simply use a 1/2 unit of chem-pure elite (6.5 oz -- and has to have the "elite" on it or it doesn't remove the phosphates) -- that is what I am doing this time, too. When it gets heavy enough, you can just lift the cyano out with a scraper (or your finger :D). It takes a couple of weeks to achieve the full effect. The source of phosphate is likely to be food, especially the frozen stuff which is a staple in my tank. Don't see that changing soon, though I've cut back on the amount a bit and turned the lights off an hour earlier (which is also useful b/c my fans aren't working). Good luck with yours!

Monday Report

I can't leave the tank feeding flap open when I'm gone b/c I am afraid of cleaning chemicals getting into the tank. As a result, the tank was 2 degrees warmer than normal when I got in this morning. Clearly, I need to get new fans. I have to decide whether to go for the much more expensive LED options through RapidLEDs (I can get local help for the DIY portion) or to just replace the oceanic fan for $12 and shipping. I have the money, but it's not just about money -- I need to know about using LEDs in this size tank. I could also replace the fan for the $12 and add an ecoexotic LED strip. Hmm. Time to head over to the lighting forum.

Also, the trimma goby has died. I wondered just a few days ago how much longer it would live. Not because it was sick or even acting old; but it had grown a good deal, to what I've read is full size, and they are not long living fish. So my stock is down to just the ocellaris, two sexy shrimp, and the peppermint. Will decide on next fish after I decide on fans. If I decide to go for two clowns, I think I'll trade my current one in, and start with two babies at the same time. Or, I may go a completely different route with a royal gramma, this adorable dwarf angel looking fish they've been getting in a lot, or a firefish and yellow or green goby of some sort.

A few random shots.

Trumpet Coral about 2 hours after lights out -- it looked so different! I'll be working some Monday nights this semester, so should see some new stuff in my tank!

neongreen_trumpet_dark.bmp

neongreen_trumpet_dark2.bmp

Sand Critter

sandcritter.bmp

Red Plate Algae (it's a guess! Red, velvety, and coming off the rock in small plates!)

redplate_algae.bmp

Edited by msscha
For pre-made LEDs for the biocubes, check this guy on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/mauger_1/m.html?_t...sid=p4340.l2562

I bought the BC 29 hood with 10W and 10B each at 3W for a 60 watt total.

Hood was a little dirty when I received it and I should have gone with more wattage but overall I'm happy.

Thanks -- I saw this link off another post in the Lighting forum -- maybe that was you? I have to replace my fans, so all in all, the cost between this unit and a the RapidLED will be about the same. Now, onto choosing...

FWIW, I had great success tackling my cyano outbreak with chemiclean. W-

I've not heard of that, but will check it out. The chempure elite doesn't seem to be having a strong impact this time around.

Edited by msscha

Holy Lazarus fish :o !

I just did the WC, cleaned some cyano and moved the zoas -- went to the bathroom, came back, and the trimma goby is out on its perch! WTH?? It's been 6 days since I'd seen it -- figured it had to be dead. I know they hide in rock holes, but this one never has -- or should I say "had"! I wonder if got accidentally trapped and today's shuffling opened the hole up?

Weird, very weird :huh: .

And my toadstool leather looks like it's got bunches of new polyps! At first I thought they were worms b/c they are brownish, but they are growing out of the base with little tentacles spread!

toadstool_newpolyps.bmp

Zoas in new spot -- not quite open yet -- closer to the light, too -- I snipped the halimeda from that spot.

zoas5.bmp

Edited by msscha