Top Shelf Aquatics

keydivers 40g rimless seagrass/lagoon tank

keydiver

Very cool! Will you come help me make my tank look half so good?! :lol:

I'll help with whatever I can!!!

Hehe, a purple tang.... Idk a midas or something very bright of the sort.

I already have a midas in my reef tank. They're absolutely beautiful fish.

uhh....I'm not so sure about that purple tang ;)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus

How about something my setup? I have an angler and talbots damsels, but you can apply the same concept with other cheap fish. Maybe a pair of wartskins and a school of chromis?

How about something my setup? I have an angler and talbots damsels, but you can apply the same concept with other cheap fish. Maybe a pair of wartskins and a school of chromis?

How hard are wartskins to care for?

altolamprologus
How hard are wartskins to care for?

I've never personally had a wartskin, but all anglers have pretty much the same care. When I got my angler I read a lot about how hard they are to care for and a lot of people kill them before they make it to 3 months, but I've had mine for about 7 months and he couldn't be healthier. All you have to do if feed them properly and keep the tank clean.

I've never personally had a wartskin, but all anglers have pretty much the same care. When I got my angler I read a lot about how hard they are to care for and a lot of people kill them before they make it to 3 months, but I've had mine for about 7 months and he couldn't be healthier. All you have to do if feed them properly and keep the tank clean.

I'll get on that reading, a wartskin would be awesome imo.

I have yet to ID this one. I purchased a small piece of LR just so i could have the macro

Mine is encrusted on the rocks and I thought it was coralline algae, am I wrong? It encrusts and plates but is also on the plastic parts of my aquarium like the power head and overflow. LMK when you get an ID on it. Thanks.

How about this guy?

Awesome little guy! I was diving today and I picked up a nice basket star. It should do perfect in this tank because the only sort of mechanical filtration I have is a filter sock which can be easily removed. So I'm hoping to get a kangaroo feeding pump that will put some marine snow or the like into the tank at night so it can feed (Actually they, the first one is big and black, it was curled up when I collected it, and when i got it up on the boat he unraveled to reveal a much smaller, about 2-3" diameter, bright orange and red one. This is going to be fun :)

Mine is encrusted on the rocks and I thought it was coralline algae, am I wrong? It encrusts and plates but is also on the plastic parts of my aquarium like the power head and overflow. LMK when you get an ID on it. Thanks.

I don't think it's coralline. It is calcified, but not nearly as much as coralline would be. If it were, i'm pretty sure it would be stiff and breakable, where this one is flexible and grows rather quickly. I'll let you know if i'm able to find an Id for it

Updated Macro List:

gelidium sp.

botryocladia sp.

halymenia florensii

gracilaria hayi

codium taylorii or possibl utricularia

Codium lucasii

ochtodes sp.

padina sp. (organisms blue scroll)

unidentified plating red macro

red mangrove

gracilaria tikhaviae

sargassum hystrix

turbinaria sp.

fuchea sp.

fire fern

halymenia enlongata

halmeida sp.

various other unidentifieds

• 1 month later...

Got my shipment in, super excited to see these lil guys grow!! Thanks Tim for the fast shipping and excellent product!

Will post pics once the lights are up :)

drunkenmonk21

Hey, hows everything going? Have you decided on any livestock yet?

Angler

mantis

pipefish

Filefish

Puffer

Cowfish

Eel

Just a couple ideas, Get on it !!!

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Hey, hows everything going? Have you decided on any livestock yet?

Angler

mantis

pipefish

Filefish

Puffer

Cowfish

Eel

Just a couple ideas, Get on it !!!

Good luck

Hey josh! I've been a little preoccupied lately so the macro tank is going on autopilot. I'm dead in the middle of setting up my new reef :D . However, I think banded pipefish sound like a winning ticket for me. Maybe just a pair of mandarin gobies or a dual tank with pipefish and dragonets. that'd be sweet

horses would be cool too if you're doing pipefish and dragonets. :)

Yeah they would, but I think my room would get too hot for them. And I don't wanna put a lump sum into a chiller

• 4 weeks later...
drunkenmonk21

I think Pipefish sounds like a great idea along with mandarins. Have you gotten a pair yet or have you changed your mind again lol :P

I think Pipefish sounds like a great idea along with mandarins. Have you gotten a pair yet or have you changed your mind again lol :P

haha just haven't pulled the trigger yet. All my funds are going into my new reef build

Well, it's been right around 10-11 months since the start of this tank, and i'm really happy with the way It has grown in . I love this tank sitting in my room as the centerpiece.

Yesterday I switched out the biocube hood I had lighting it for a spare 150w mh pendant that makes it look even better. Now it is truly rimless and I get a nice shimmer effect on the water

Still haven't put any species in this tank yet, I've really been meaning too. But seahorses and pipes are too much of a hassle, as are cuddlefish. Octo would slip out the top of the tank. I'm considering a pair of mandarin dragonets. Any other opinions? Anways, here's some pics for a long overdue update. My overhead shots are eh because I was too lazy to turn the return off.

FTS 6/18/12

6-18-12updates011.jpg

6-18-12updates003.jpg

6-18-12updates004.jpg

6-18-12updates005.jpg

6-18-12updates006.jpg

6-18-12updates010.jpg

6-18-12updates008.jpg

6-18-12updates007.jpg

And this picture is dedicated to drunkenmonk: This is what keeps me busy

6-18-12updates023.jpg

6-18-12updates022.jpg

Jacob042426

you're breeding pdf's?! awesome!!! im expecting my first batch of leopard gecko eggs jan/feb. it sounds like a lot of fun to breed herps!

you're breeding pdf's?! awesome!!! im expecting my first batch of leopard gecko eggs jan/feb. it sounds like a lot of fun to breed herps!

Yup I've got several species. Been meaning to make a thread for them all. I used to have leopard geckos. They were my very first lizard when I was about 7 years old. goooood times.

still dont know what I want as a species in this tank. Would spotted puffers be cool? What about a wartskin angler?

drunkenmonk21

Ha looks good man, dragonets sound great, anything would be great at this point lol :P

Are those all tads in those cups? My viv is will be done and runnin in a day or two. Bought a couple plants but I think I need some more. Need to start a thread on it somewhere.

Keep up the great work man!!

Ha looks good man, dragonets sound great, anything would be great at this point lol :P

Are those all tads in those cups? My viv is will be done and runnin in a day or two. Bought a couple plants but I think I need some more. Need to start a thread on it somewhere.

Keep up the great work man!!

Yep those are all tads haha. I've got about 20 of them right now.

I'm thinking dragonets might be the golden ticket.

I also had the cool idea of doing green spotted puffers, any suggestions? I could do mollies as well?

Dragonets would also be awesome though. I JUST DON'T KNOW!!! ahhh too many decisions

drunkenmonk21

Im not sure, but the puffers may be a bad choice with mandarins, since the mandarins are kind of slow swimmers they might make a quick snack.

drunkenmonk21

Oh did you mean to have the puffers and not the mandarins lol, I read that wrong, ive seen mollys with the GSP quite a bit, as long as its a faster fish they should be good

Archived