Cultivated Reef

keydivers 40g rimless seagrass/lagoon tank

keydiver

I think a seahorse or pipefish pair would look and do great in a macroalgae dominant system like yours. If you can keep your temps in the 75-78 range there are a few species that you could look into..

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a seahorse or pipefish pair would look and do great in a macroalgae dominant system like yours. If you can keep your temps in the 75-78 range there are a few species that you could look into..

Yeah, I'd really like to keep a pair of h. erectus of h. reidi, but do you think I would need a chiller? Not sure how hot the tank gets, I will be checking over the next few days though.

Here's a quick update. I've been slowly adding macros from my other tank. I now also have

Blue scroll

Blue ochtodes

caulerpa serrulata

2 types of halymenia

The cactus caulerpa just melted away for some reason, but i'm not too upset, I think it looks cleaner without it. Anyways, all my other macros are going strong, and the red grape is getting crazy growth already.

FTS 9-11-11 (didn;t get the chance to clean up the glass)

updates006.jpg

Neomeris

updates014.jpg

Ochtodes

updates013.jpg

red grape

updates012.jpg

serrulata

updates009.jpg

future hitching posts?

updates008.jpg

In other news, my new viv build is finally finished, housing 2 brazilian yellow heads

updates016.jpg

close up

frogsexing017.jpg

AND- my first type of frogs, azeurus, are getting really big, really quick

frogsexing006.jpg

Commentz plz!

• Like 1

Seriously playing witht eh idea of getting sepia bandensis. nyaquatics sells 3 eggs for $25, and shipping is only $10. I'm doing a lot of research, and I think I may be up for the challenge. I'll be contacting my LFS today to see if they have a breeder net, which I would have them in for the first month of two. And for a skimmer, I would probably just pull my remora from my 29g biocube, it doesn't seem to be pulling too much skimmate, and I bet my system could do without it.

Do it man!! Cuttlefish would look so awesome in this tank!! Plus the seagrass would be a perfect environment for them.

I would REALLY like to! The only drawback is teh first month or so of the cuttlefish's lives. No LFS around me sell mysid shrimp, and d@#n are they expensive! I'm literally down the street from the bay, so I could collect amphipods for free, but studies show that cuttlefish raised on amphipods are nowhere near as robust. It would be a race to wean them onto frozen so their diet isn't so expensive.

Any ceph experts, please chime in.

• 4 months later...
update?

Hey, I will post some new pics tonight or tomorrow. The tank is pppprettty grown in, I need to start trimming stuff. As for the sepia bandensis, I never took the plunge. But I'm still looking for some kind of cool inhabitant to showcase this tank. I want to make it a species tank. It's housing a royal gramma that I rescued from my pals broken down tank, but i can always put him in my reef.

Still open to cool ideas for inverts, and if anybody has rare macros they'd like to sell/trade. Not sure how many people are still following this thread as i've been out of the loop for a while.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I think it's time for a VERY long overdue update. I've been waiting for this tank to grow out- and that it has. With macros added just a few months ago, they have shown tremendous growth.

I have recently started selling macros out of this tank because thye are extremely lush. I have been dosing experimentally with potassium nitrate and monopotassium phosphate. Within just a few days of dosing, I noticed a very prevalent deepening of the reds, my dragons breath got redder and more orange at the tips, and my greens are very lush. My ochtodes are coloring up slowly but surely.

Within the last few weeks, I have made the following improvements:

Started doing biweekly WC's after letting it run autopilot for a while

started dosing KNO3 and monopotassium phosphate

Added multiple species of macros like chameleon, fueacha, blue scroll, and caluerpa paplisodes.

switched around teh rockwork a bit

changed out the bulbs to 6700k and 10k power compacts (2x 55w)

Upcoming improvements

RKL for dosing, ATO, and temp

possible chiller and addition of seahorses or cuttlefish

planning on hooking up my pressurized C02 system to see how it affects macro growth

adding various other macros and cool inverts (really looking for a species display)

And without further a due, here are your pictures----

FTS 2/8/12

newmacrotankupdate003.jpg

Overhead

newmacrotankupdate004.jpg

Left side

newmacrotankupdate021.jpg

Right side

newmacrotankupdate022.jpg

Red grape touching surface- colors are way off

newmacrotankupdate014.jpg

codium (sp. unknown)

newmacrotankupdate018.jpg

newly added chameleon (it will color up to be blueish green)

newmacrotankupdate016.jpg

Newly added fueacha- it should become iridescent

newmacrotankupdate015.jpg

caulerpa mexicana

newmacrotankupdate012.jpg

dragons breath on powerhead

newmacrotankupdate010.jpg

mangrove finally sprouted leaves

newmacrotankupdate005.jpg

And in other news!!! This is what has been keeping me occupied lately

newmacrotankupdate032.jpg

newmacrotankupdate035.jpg

newmacrotankupdate036.jpg

newmacrotankupdate038.jpg

Enjoy! Feel free to comment!

• Like 1
Nice dart frogs! I have a few myself, they have kinda taken a back seat since getting my aquarium up and running lol

haha the opposite happened to me

just from having the fuaecha in the tank for a few hours, it is already developing a bluish iridescence. Very pretty indeed.

I have a crazy macro coming in from LAreefs. I'm really excited about this one, i've never seen it before, so hopefully it looks as good as it does on their website

haha the opposite happened to me

As soon as my last auratus dies i plan on rebuilding a frog haven but much smaller, i think the one i have is 30 gallons and at 1 time i had 7 frogs in it but now im down to 1 auratus and i think hes 7 years old now so hes getting close to the end. Great looking lagoon tank as well!

As soon as my last auratus dies i plan on rebuilding a frog haven but much smaller, i think the one i have is 30 gallons and at 1 time i had 7 frogs in it but now im down to 1 auratus and i think hes 7 years old now so hes getting close to the end. Great looking lagoon tank as well!

dang that's an old frog. I have a breeding pair of nabors line cobalts, but they're only 3ish. They give me a clutch of 9-12 every other week

Thanks for the kind words!

dang that's an old frog. I have a breeding pair of nabors line cobalts, but they're only 3ish. They give me a clutch of 9-12 every other week

Thanks for the kind words!

Thats awsome! i had a breeding pair od Dendrobates Imitator thumbnail frogs but unfortunatly over the course of 2 days they were eaten by a small spider that somehow got into the terrarium and into their happy hut. Poor things got stuck in its web and sucked dry

Thats awsome! i had a breeding pair od Dendrobates Imitator thumbnail frogs but unfortunatly over the course of 2 days they were eaten by a small spider that somehow got into the terrarium and into their happy hut. Poor things got stuck in its web and sucked dry

oh man, that's really unfortunate! I'm sorry to hear it. Very odd way for a frog to die indeed

Thinking about setting up my pressurized C02 system, any thoughts? I'm just worried about the C02 lowering pH, which would be hard to regulate without a pH monitor. All i have is a bubble counter

altolamprologus
Thinking about setting up my pressurized C02 system, any thoughts? I'm just worried about the C02 lowering pH, which would be hard to regulate without a pH monitor. All i have is a bubble counter

I'm thinking you would have to get a pH monitor to do that. Not getting one is just asking for something bad to happen

I'm thinking you would have to get a pH monitor to do that. Not getting one is just asking for something bad to happen

That's what i'm worried about also. I'm thinking about going RKL in the near future for the pH monitor and ATO and just overall convenience.

Archived