Pod Your Reef

Whats wrong with this complete kit?

on_ice

My kit came in a few days ago, awesome customer service. If only Nanotuners was a little bit faster with shipping I could have this all together. The kit made it from china however I still haven't seen my heatsink which I ordered the same day. :angry:

Ahh that sucks! Hopefully i see my heatsink in a reasonable time as well - Edit: I miss-read this - i thought the heat sink came from Aquastyles in a different package.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ahh that sucks! Hopefully i see my heatsink in a reasonable time as well - Edit: I miss-read this - i thought the heat sink came from Aquastyles in a different package.

That is how I read it at first too. Yeah nanotuners still haven't emailed me back from about a week and a half ago on some questions that I had. Doesn't matter anyway because I ordered the kit from Aqua Styles and saved a ton of money. I did get the heatsink from nanotuners though and they shipped it the day after I ordered it. It should be here right at the same time as the kit from Aqua Styles. I am going to do a write up on my build as well, but mostly because I am going to probably need ideas/help with wiring and modification. I took the guts out of my hood yesterday.

I am going to order some 50mm Silenx fans to go with it as well. Has anybody used these? Any information on if the 60mm would fit where the stock fans are on a BC14? I am going to replace those two and also an extra two that I am going to point at the side of the heat sink.

I am going to order some 50mm Silenx fans to go with it as well. Has anybody used these? Any information on if the 60mm would fit where the stock fans are on a BC14? I am going to replace those two and also an extra two that I am going to point at the side of the heat sink.

Not really - most of my fan experience is with 12v fans (computer). Now the thing that you notice with them - they are super quiet at first, the other they get the louder they get - Also the load on them, you'll want a variable either low/high switch - or variable switch on them. (just like your dimmer switch)

I received my kit from aquastyle in 5 days! Very good customer service, there are extra led's and fans included that were not listed as part of the order.

I ordered this to use until my Nanotuners 5.6 cree kit came in, then I plan to move it to my 30 gal frag tank that I am setting up. My Nanotuner order came in too so I was able to compare them side be side as far as fit and finish of heat sink and drivers. There is no comparison. The nanotuner heat sink is a work of art, way heavier and much more compact. I opened the driver box and the drivers are larger then the aquastyle, and again they have weight to them. While I haven't got my aquastyle kit assembled yet to compare the light I am blown away by the nanotuners...it was worth the wait for sure. The light is just amazing, the colors are awesome, the shimmer intense. In the couple of days I have had it up and running I have been able to keep my lid closed with only a couple of degrees temperature change throughout the day. I was having to keep both lids open with the stock PC lights to keep it cool. I suppose I should say it is a BC 29 that this in in.

It will probably be a couple weeks before I get my aquastyle kit put together. I'll let you know how well it works. If the light output is comparable to the Cree's I think it will be a great deal for my frag tank, even if it only lasts a few years. But if you have a BC and want to keep you factory hood the Nanotuner's kit is ticket as long as you are patient!

I received my kit from aquastyle in 5 days! Very good customer service, there are extra led's and fans included that were not listed as part of the order.

I ordered this to use until my Nanotuners 5.6 cree kit came in, then I plan to move it to my 30 gal frag tank that I am setting up. My Nanotuner order came in too so I was able to compare them side be side as far as fit and finish of heat sink and drivers. There is no comparison. The nanotuner heat sink is a work of art, way heavier and much more compact. I opened the driver box and the drivers are larger then the aquastyle, and again they have weight to them. While I haven't got my aquastyle kit assembled yet to compare the light I am blown away by the nanotuners...it was worth the wait for sure. The light is just amazing, the colors are awesome, the shimmer intense. In the couple of days I have had it up and running I have been able to keep my lid closed with only a couple of degrees temperature change throughout the day. I was having to keep both lids open with the stock PC lights to keep it cool. I suppose I should say it is a BC 29 that this in in.

It will probably be a couple weeks before I get my aquastyle kit put together. I'll let you know how well it works. If the light output is comparable to the Cree's I think it will be a great deal for my frag tank, even if it only lasts a few years. But if you have a BC and want to keep you factory hood the Nanotuner's kit is ticket as long as you are patient!

This is awesome, you should open up the cheap ballast and take a couple of pics. Then take some pics of the Nanaotuners drivers so we can compare/contrast.

This is awesome, you should open up the cheap ballast and take a couple of pics. Then take some pics of the Nanaotuners drivers so we can compare/contrast.

I should have taken pictures of the Nanotuners box when I had it open. But I know I have seen them on here before. There are 3 drivers in there. I'll see if I have time to open it back up for pictures. I have it all installed in my stand now though. :(

The cheap ones are just like the pictures on aquastyles site. The actual drivers themselves are both sealed so you can't see the internal works. I believe they are both waterproof. I really hope the aquastyles are as kick ass as the nanotuners. If so I think I am going to end up having two display tanks instead of one and a frag tank.

I need to start a tank thread.

This whole debate reminds me of Odyssea lights. Some love them and have great success with them and some have burned their houses down! :lol: but seriously if you wanna try them, try them. If you don't shut the #### up. Until any company builds a good track record any purchase is a shot in the dark.

I would probably try them if I needed them because I'm a cheap ass but I don't because my nano tuners light has a lot of life left on it!

I should have taken pictures of the Nanotuners box when I had it open. But I know I have seen them on here before. There are 3 drivers in there. I'll see if I have time to open it back up for pictures. I have it all installed in my stand now though. :(

The cheap ones are just like the pictures on aquastyles site. The actual drivers themselves are both sealed so you can't see the internal works. I believe they are both waterproof. I really hope the aquastyles are as kick ass as the nanotuners. If so I think I am going to end up having two display tanks instead of one and a frag tank.

I need to start a tank thread.

Not to hi-jack this thread, and I apologize in advance for doing so, but I also have a BC29 and would love to see pics of the nano-tuners 5.6.

So yes.... Please start a thread! ;)

Well, I would have had mine today, but the USPS sent it to the wrong sorting facility. :angry:

You can use the tracking number on the USPS website for more detailed info.

To answer the original post... Nothing all comes in as expected 4 days from Hong Kong to pa.. it took me about 4 hours to assemble most of this was debit over led placement... In the end the gf was right! I have step by steps without soldering she had went to bed... The only thing I don't like is I got burned from my soldering iron stand! The drivers kinda squeeze at a full load of 20 less but at 19 they will work no problems! At low power they squeal a little but that's not a deterrent from me! Can't wait to get this over my tank in the am to get final shots wow thy are bright! It may not be free but I don't see why a budget man can argue! The true test is over time on these! Assembly went quick! Unfortunately I'm anal with wires as you will see in my thread tomorrow

Easy part done! Now I get to try out my soldering skills. I was wondering why they sent extra leds, 4 in all, so I decided to test them before pasting them. There was one DOA!

DSC_0128.jpg

Cats inspecting the box.. it came from Hong Kong after all! interesting stuff for the critters

IMAG0126.jpg

After my inspiration from the cats i figured out my led pattern

IMAG0127.jpg

Here is an overall, All of the LED's are on i assure you, my poor camera on my phone did not want to tolerate a close up shot at all - the one on the far top left was not mounted yet - i had a dud LED upon arrival - hope this is no indication

IMAG0133.jpg

makes me wanna buy the kit :D

I have not set it over the tank yet - I'm about to head to bed spent 4 hours assembling the build - Probably could have saved some time if I did not have to cook etc - None the less a full build sheet will be out tomorrow - I still am not finished :) have the fans to go !! that is the hard part

28g nano noob
I have not set it over the tank yet - I'm about to head to bed spent 4 hours assembling the build - Probably could have saved some time if I did not have to cook etc - None the less a full build sheet will be out tomorrow - I still am not finished :) have the fans to go !! that is the hard part

ill be watching for ur final product im gonna need a new mh bulb and 2 new antics soon so i figured 45 for a phoenix and 20 for each t5 y not spend a few more bucks and go led i seen a tank under leds today beats mh imo now ( hurt to admit that) :lol:

Cats inspecting the box.. it came from Hong Kong after all! interesting stuff for the critters

IMAG0126.jpg

After my inspiration from the cats i figured out my led pattern

IMAG0127.jpg

Here is an overall, All of the LED's are on i assure you, my poor camera on my phone did not want to tolerate a close up shot at all - the one on the far top left was not mounted yet - i had a dud LED upon arrival - hope this is no indication

IMAG0133.jpg

Awesome! My kit shipped yesterday. Ray told me he threw in one extra red LED for me to try. That is awesome that somebody got 4 extra.

I can't wait to see your entire build thread. Anxiously awaiting!

I am gonna order one of these just to light up my refugium

I see they have smaller ones but I have a question, Should I get the 24 inch one and have it cover the ENTIRE refugium setup including the water drain that will drain oer the live rock rubble as well as the pump side of the rufugium OR should I order a smaller on that ONLY covers the part of the refugium where my macro algae and chateo will be growing???

I am gonna order one of these just to light up my refugium

I see they have smaller ones but I have a question, Should I get the 24 inch one and have it cover the ENTIRE refugium setup including the water drain that will drain oer the live rock rubble as well as the pump side of the rufugium OR should I order a smaller on that ONLY covers the part of the refugium where my macro algae and chateo will be growing???

Thats way overkill for a refugium - What size tank/refugium do you have?

I'm customizing my order to have 1:2 NW:RB cause that is suppose to be a great mix for leds in the color threat, they are really kind and helpful, hope i order soon.

I'm customizing my order to have 1:2 NW:RB cause that is suppose to be a great mix for leds in the color threat, they are really kind and helpful, hope i order soon.

wait do they have neutral white? they told me they had 6000k (aka cool white)

I got mine today.

Excellent bit of kit, l have more up in my thread later tonight.

It took me an hour to assemble, most of it deciding how to layout the lights or if I wanted to even use the included heatsink. I spent another hour and a half finishing the heatsink and hood. I like it, it works well with the tank, not quite as clean as the stock edge, but still nice and appropriate looking.

I ordered 3 blue, 4 white, and they sent one extra for each plus a digital thermometer.

My impression so far, is that it is worth every penny.

Here is old lighting vs. new on low and high lighting. The old was brighter in the middle but not as much as it looks like. The blue makes it look a bit less bright, I think, but look at everything off center. The camera doesn't do it justice. Being rid of the arm is also nice.

Old lights

img20110816173930.jpg

New Lights on low

img20110816192914.jpg

New on high (adjusted to try and show the brightness)

img20110816193733fixed.jpg

Overhead of the hood

img20110816193613.jpg

Archived