Pod Your Reef

Whats wrong with this complete kit?

on_ice

I am taking a stab with this kit (36pcs LED 18w 18b) over my 24x24x12 frag tank. I will update when I get it and set it up.

FWIW the 36 LED kit is the same price. You can still run 24 and have a dozen as spares. Gotta find a way to control the dimmable drivers with an apex for me to bite though.
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am taking a stab with this kit (36pcs LED 18w 18b) over my 24x24x12 frag tank. I will update when I get it and set it up.

What color LEDS ratio are you going with? The 36 pcs kit does not come with any heat sink. fingerscrossed

What color LEDS ratio are you going with? The 36 pcs kit does not come with any heat sink. fingerscrossed

Im going with 50/50 split between blues and whites. The 36pcs kit comes with a heatsink for an additional $27(its an option on the dropdown). I figure thats only ~$2 more per LED, either as backups or use all of them.

I don't need these for anything, at all...but now I want to start a frag tank for no other reason than these cheap lights.

The drivers are still making me nervous however.

I don't need these for anything, at all...but now I want to start a frag tank for no other reason than these cheap lights.

The drivers are still making me nervous however.

plus one on that topic

Honestly, there really isn't much to a driver, and all of this is pretty low power.

You can power this stuff with your typical wall wart. Which is more or less all a driver is.

Couldn't resist, I ordered 50/50 24pcs kit. I have a NC 6.5 cree on order too, been waiting since April. I will switch to that so I can have it nicely mounted in the hood of my 29 BC once it arrives. Thought I would give this a try and compare for y'all. I'll move it to my frag tank once my NC kit comes in.

Any ideas on a ballast box for the drivers and dimmer pots? Would like something to just drill holes and mount everything in. Don't really want to build a box from scratch.

I am very interested in this. I have not heard anything negative about the Bridgelux LED's. But as was said previously, those drivers do make me nervous, only due to the fact that the look like they will fail sooner than they should. I am thinking about trying this out on my BC29, wonder what I would choose. Any suggestions on a set up?

For those of you with more insight then myself, ould I use this on a 29 Gallon tank? Would the 24 or 36 lights with 50/50 work well enough for to keep SPS?

Thank you

For those of you with more insight then myself, ould I use this on a 29 Gallon tank? Would the 24 or 36 lights with 50/50 work well enough for to keep SPS?

Thank you

You would need optics, which I don't see available on the site.

Unless you made the top 12" sps zone, bottom of the tank mixed Lps/softie.

You would need optics, which I don't see available on the site.

Unless you made the top 12" sps zone, bottom of the tank mixed Lps/softie.

I was planning on doing a mixed reef, as you described above. Would I need 36 or 24 Led kit? Also, both of these kits come with 60degree optics, so I would be able to raise these above the tank a little. Another option would be to see if they are able to do a custom 30 LED kit for me as well....

Thanks

I have some interesting news, i emailed them and they also have leds that are in the 6000k-6500k range, that would be better than the 10000k don't u think?

3700-5000 would be better. That is the range for xp-g neutral whites

yes it would be better...

perhaps if the demand is strong enough, they would order some in that range.

I have some interesting news, i emailed them and they also have leds that are in the 6000k-6500k range, that would be better than the 10000k don't u think?

IMO go for the bridgelux 6-6.5k, much better than cools.

Order shipped today. Should be here on the 10th. Have to say they have some of the best communication I have run into yet dealing with businesses. I will update when I get the package in.

Order shipped today. Should be here on the 10th. Have to say they have some of the best communication I have run into yet dealing with businesses. I will update when I get the package in.

Agreed.

They have been fantastic to work with.

I paid for my custom kit last night, ship date is A.S.A.P. which I suspect will be early next week.

I would be very surprised if anyone had any success with kit at all. You just can't get quality for 100 bucks.

I'm going to hazard to guess there is no warranty period?

If they burn out in 30 days, is $100 still worth it? I think the answer would be no.

Everything in that kit is Chinese. Those LEDs run about 23 cent each when you buy them in a quantity of 100 (emitters only -- no star boards). On this side of the planet (I am here in China) they are rated at 80 to 90 lumens -- and that is probably pushing their limits.

Friend of mine bought a XXXXX LED kit (name withheld) and that thing burned out in less than 45 days. Personally, I think this hurts the industry. And at such time when this company solidifies a bad reputation, they will close down that site and open up a new site and run the bad product offering all over again. It's a shell game.

Archived