DHaut's Barracuda

Deleted User 6

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deleted User 6
SPS I believe.

Please research before typing (jer even made it easy for you). From his link:

"All species of stony corals comprise the order Scleractinia. What, then, is the taxonomic unit used to differentiate large-polyped from small-polyped stony corals? I'm asked this question quite frequently, and the answer is that there isn't one. The dividing line between what constitutes a "large" versus a "small" coral polyp is entirely arbitrary and based only on opinion... There is no ecological or biological reason to divide stony corals based on polyp size. "

"The solution to this problem is simple and is something that most advanced hobbyists already do most of the time anyway. The terms mushroom polyp, zoanthid and soft coral are all valid, but we should not think and should not give the impression that these terms provide any information about the proper care of these corals. They do not. The terms SPS and LPS are not valid terms, and it would be best for everybody if they just dropped out of reefkeepers' vocabularies. Just don't use these terms at all. I don't, except when other people bring them up. In that case I ask what kind of coral they mean because those terms don't tell me anything, and I let them know that (nicely). Eventually, they just stop using those terms with me and refer to corals by name, and I would bet that they do the same with most other people. Let us all simply refer to corals by using their scientific names-that is, their genus, or as close a guess as we have-and growth form for very diverse genera such as Acropora and Montipora. Let us also completely stop using the terms SPS and LPS, and use the terms mushroom polyp, zoanthid and soft coral only for basic identification, not for describing care."

Thanks for the link jer. I hadn't read that article either. I do think that broad buckets of coral types can be useful (just as all generalities typically have an element of truth). But it would do the hobby good to have more members learning and using scientific names and *gasp* actually knowing something about the creatures they are keeping.

Lee Van Reef

I'm definitely going to take a look at that article, seeing that I've never really looking into the taxonomy and nomenclature that much for corals.

Thanks for the link jer. I hadn't read that article either. I do think that broad buckets of coral types can be useful (just as all generalities typically have an element of truth). But it would do the hobby good to have more members learning and using scientific names and *gasp* actually knowing something about the creatures they are keeping.

hi5. I'm not as militant about the disuse of LPS and SPS as he is - generally, the descriptors fit, and the care they imply is relevant. But some genera - like Turbinaria, Cyphastrea, Mycedium, Hydnophora - don't quite fit into the mold; some look like SPS but are cared for as most LPS, and vice versa.

the terms SPS and LPS are about as arbitrary as calling a zoanthid Super Awesome Wonder Balls of Death. imo.

Deleted User 6
Sweet tank, DH!

Thanks Lani! :happy:

It'd look better with your corlz. :P

the terms SPS and LPS are about as arbitrary as calling a zoanthid Super Awesome Wonder Balls of Death. imo.

link to said Super Awesome Wonder Balls of Death zoas pls. must have.

Deleted User 6

Flow is improved with the locline splitter, I think. No more sand blowing around, and I was able to get flow on both sides of the tank. We'll see about long-term success.

Archived