inTank Media Baskets

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

I think I'll start transferring sometime this week, likely Thursday. Answers on my thread about the cycling confirmed what I had suspected, that I most likely will see little to no die off and need to build up the bioload very slowly.

Also purchased some egg crate at home depot, after a heartfelt effort on my part to describe what it was I did a google search on my phone and showed her a picture and said it was listed as light paneling on Rona's website and voila! Will try and get it cut to size tomorrow.

Also, as requested, a closer pic of my acro and also one of the pink/teal palys because they stopped being angry.

74f0e842.jpg

ad788ba4.jpg

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also purchased some egg crate at home depot, after a heartfelt effort on my part to describe what it was I did a google search on my phone and showed her a picture and said it was listed as light paneling on Rona's website and voila! Will try and get it cut to size tomorrow.

Chuckled to myself because the EXACT same thing happened to me. Went to Home Depot, and asked about 5 different people where the egg crate was. They all gave me blank stares until I pulled out my phone and did a quick search--it came up with light panels. They knew where it was after that clarification. Is there any reason why we even call it egg crate?

By cut to size, do you mean in the store? It's very easy to cut yourself with a pair of bone cutters or wire cutters.

Chuckled to myself because the EXACT same thing happened to me. Went to Home Depot, and asked about 5 different people where the egg crate was. They all gave me blank stares until I pulled out my phone and did a quick search--it came up with light panels. They knew where it was after that clarification. Is there any reason why we even call it egg crate?

By cut to size, do you mean in the store? It's very easy to cut yourself with a pair of bone cutters or wire cutters.

Haha good old smart phones. It is in fact called egg crate on the label in the store, as well as on Rona's website.

And by cut to size I did mean at home, just going to measure and such tomorrow. Too lazy to do it today :)

Jessy-Ray
I've been thinking about how I want to place corals on this scape... I was thinking mainly zoas and rics and acans on the left, sps and chalice on the right? I dunno. I don't see any spots that scream chalice right now, and I'm going to have 3 by Tuesday. But I still have lots of time to think about it.

I tested the water and it had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates, but I'm assuming there hasn't been much of a cycle. I'm going to read up more on how to cycle with seeded dry rock. There isn't enough cured rock in there to support much of a bioload... Should I be putting food in the tank? Will research this further.

Suggestions on cycling and coral placement welcome :D

I think your coral ideas sound great although I'm not a fan of chalices in general but that's just me.

For what it's worth now I used dry dead rock and seeded it with 1 kg of live rock. I had a pretty reasonable cycle and once it was finished cycling I just left it empty for another couple of weeks. After that I just added bio-load really slow

Yay! new coralz! Always so esssiting. They look healthy, post more pics when they have gotten used to your tank.

Thanks, I will :)

I think your coral ideas sound great although I'm not a fan of chalices in general but that's just me.

For what it's worth now I used dry dead rock and seeded it with 1 kg of live rock. I had a pretty reasonable cycle and once it was finished cycling I just left it empty for another couple of weeks. After that I just added bio-load really slow

Thanks for commenting :) I'm going to test my water again, but so far I have no indication of any cycle.

Somehow, I missed this cute little tank!!! Nicely done!

Thanks! I'm so excited for my 20L transfer :D

So I blasted some aiptasia last night with boiling water but it looks like at least two remain defiant. I'll get the little buggers!!

Also cut the egg crate to size, as long as no fish jump straight up I should be ok.

Finally, going to get a second opinion water test tmo at the lfs, if I get the green light there too I will probably move things over early next week.

Should I move all corals at once? Actually I'm thinking it's probably smartest to move the hardier ones in first (rics, zoas) then chalices and then sps?

So I blasted some aiptasia last night with boiling water but it looks like at least two remain defiant. I'll get the little buggers!!

Also cut the egg crate to size, as long as no fish jump straight up I should be ok.

Finally, going to get a second opinion water test tmo at the lfs, if I get the green light there too I will probably move things over early next week.

Should I move all corals at once? Actually I'm thinking it's probably smartest to move the hardier ones in first (rics, zoas) then chalices and then sps?

I'd start off with fish first. In a new tank like that, adding fish will likely cause a mini cycle that could really stress all but your hardiest corals. If you add the fish, then you can wait a week or so for parameters to stabilize. Throw in a mushroom and/or a zoanthid to make sure the water is good. After that, it should be ok for LPS and SPS. I definitely wouldn't add your SPS until your nitrates and phosphates are consistently 0 or near 0.

Not reaaaally :( I think I might try and move Gilbert over to the new tank tomorrow. The 10 is getting progressively taken over by dinos because I've fallen behind on maintenance. Whooopsies :huh:

Still no word on another pink streaked wrasse either <_<

Also, note to self. Buy TDS meter and phosphate test kit. Need to figure out water quality issues!

Gilbert's acclimating to the new tank right now :ninja:

Nice! He needs a friend imo.

By the way, this thread needs updating! With pictures! Unless you're going to start a new one for your 20?

Who is Gilbert again?

Hopefully your LFS will be able to get the PSW!!!!! I really want to see what one looks like in a tank :)

Nice! He needs a friend imo.

By the way, this thread needs updating! With pictures! Unless you're going to start a new one for your 20?

Haha I will post some pics when Gilbert comes out! Right now it looks exactly the same as the pics from before. Gonna wait a week to see if having a fish in there causes any kind of mini cycle, then start moving over my corals. I agree, he does need a friend. Just need to wait for the dust to settle with moving him over. I plan on leaving the 10 up as a qt tank until I get at least the next fish in, then it will get torn down.

Prob not starting a new thread, I'll just change the name of this one :P

Who is Gilbert again?

Hopefully your LFS will be able to get the PSW!!!!! I really want to see what one looks like in a tank :)

Gilbert is my firefish :)

And I really can't wait either. I keep checking my emails but there's no word still :(

Gilbert's move went well except for while I was trying to catch him he jumped out! But it actually made it easier for me cuz it would have taken me ages to get him in the net :P

Ok so here's a bit of a random update.

On someone's thread here... I think Gena's, everyone was sharing beach pics! I wanted to join. I spent Mother's Day at the beach with my mom at White Rock. Took some pics :)

We waded through the gigantic tide pools that form when the water goes out.... We walked for half an hour just following this one and they go on forever! Wish I took a full shot of the beach to show it. Lots of neat critters, little fish, TONS of snails, some crabs, some anenomes... Here's my mom's feet and the dogs

6000fd6c.jpg

Here's one of the aforementioned nems... Couldn't get a good shot with the ripples on the water

965835c7.jpg

Here's a neat little crab I found, he was kind of rainbow coloured

f7dda0d7.jpg

And finally, a shot from where we set up camp in the sun for a while, lots of people there enjoying our first nice warm weather :) (although you can't really see many people in the pic :P )

6ebf2439.jpg

And now we have some tank pics! Gilbert came out again after my last post, so here's two pics to tide you guys over till I have some more exciting stuff!

285a96ce.jpg

74f570cc.jpg

Nice pictures! I love the double island look. It's going to look beautiful when fully grown out.

Not sure if you've mentioned this before or not, but what kind of lighting do you have over it at the moment? I can't tell if that's a 2 bulb or 4 bulb fixture from the picture.

Nice pictures! I love the double island look. It's going to look beautiful when fully grown out.

Not sure if you've mentioned this before or not, but what kind of lighting do you have over it at the moment? I can't tell if that's a 2 bulb or 4 bulb fixture from the picture.

Thanks :) its a 4 bulb fixture, current sundial bought from another member here. I need to replace the bulbs because I'm not super stoked about the colour temp right now, but for money's sake just making do for now :)

Ugh I want to live near tidal pools.

I'm very lucky :) I grew up spending two weeks of my summer on a boat with my family all along the sunshine coast, I'm very fortunate to have seen so much natural sea life :)

We waded through the gigantic tide pools that form when the water goes out.... We walked for half an hour just following this one and they go on forever! Wish I took a full shot of the beach to show it. Lots of neat critters, little fish, TONS of snails, some crabs, some anenomes...

Oh my gosh...I enjoyed those photos!!!!! This sounds like heaven :happy:

That was Surgicalsense's (Danielle's) thread you saw the tide pool photos on. I am meaning to get out there myself!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh...I enjoyed those photos!!!!! This sounds like heaven :happy:

That was Surgicalsense's (Danielle's) thread you saw the tide pool photos on. I am meaning to get out there myself!!!!!!!!

Thanks! And I wasn't sure if it was yours or Danielle's thread.. Knew it was one of them :) I'm glad to share!

The puppies in the water with you are too cute! And I'm glad to see that Gilbert looks like he's adjusted well :)

Archived