Top Shelf Aquatics

Paigee's 20L Extravaganza!

Paigee

And after getting over the disappointment, I think it's better to get the fish in a week or so, to give me time to get the 20L situated.

Better to handle one thing at a time, right? Glad the pump is working. All this excitement over the new build makes me want to start a new tank haha. Once I get everything situated into my main display, I may just convert my quarantine tank to a frag/display tank.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better to handle one thing at a time, right? Glad the pump is working. All this excitement over the new build makes me want to start a new tank haha. Once I get everything situated into my main display, I may just convert my quarantine tank to a frag/display tank.

Yeah I am glad the pump worked out. I talked to the seller, who is using the 900, and he suggested trimming the blades of the impeller, which I thought of but didn't want to void any possible warranty. He also got a duckbill fitting that allowed the powerhead to fit on the hole, but mine didn't come with that, so that's kind of strange.

Haha starting new tanks is so exciting! It gets catchy :P a frag display is nice, have you seen Gena's new thread for her frag macro tank? It's purdy :)

Still trying to get the salinity up... It's finally at 1.020, put in another couple scoops so I will test again in an hour. Then rock time :D I wanna get it cycling ASAP.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for what order I put things in the all in one section? I have the heater in the first section and some filter floss between the first and second, then there's a larger area that I'm going to use for macros, then the output section. There's a bubble trail between the first and second parts. Does what I have sound good or should I move the heater?

I'm not familiar with AIOs so I can't help you there.

I did see Gena's frag/macro tank. It looks better than most of the tanks on here. Looking at that is what got me to thinking about having my own. Of course, it'll probably be a while before I even have anything to frag out of my display, but it's still nice to think about now!

Whoah you've already filled up the new tank? Post some pics!

It is very boring so far, just water with some powerheads :P I'll post pics when the rock and sand are in :) which will hopefully be tonight!

It is very boring so far, just water with some powerheads :P I'll post pics when the rock and sand are in :) which will hopefully be tonight!

Looking forward to that!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry the wrasse didn't make it, but at least it wasn't in your hands at the time. I remember reading that wrasses can be hard to acclimate. I know a few years ago the very first sixline I bought died over-night, but the second one was very healthy.

Looking forward to that!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry the wrasse didn't make it, but at least it wasn't in your hands at the time. I remember reading that wrasses can be hard to acclimate. I know a few years ago the very first sixline I bought died over-night, but the second one was very healthy.

Well I couldn't get any pics because when I added the sand the water turned into milk and didn't clear up by the time I left my bf's house :P But I think I'll be over there tomorrow, or for sure Monday, so pics soon! I know for sure there's a hitcher crab in there, I saw it in the piece of rock I transferred from the 10. I don't know if it was the evil one or the porcelain crab.

Add to birthday wishlist:

MP10

BRS ATO

More test kits (calcium, phosphate, dkh)

You forgot a gopro underwater camera and a cleaner shrimp doormat ;)

Lol my boyfriend's brother actually has a gopro :P

--------------

And the moment you've all been waiting for....

A super chitty pic of the tank!

5a3c6c61.jpg

I haven't even seen it yet with the sand all settled, my bf sent me this pic :) I'm pretty stoked. Can't wait to go over there tomorrow! :D

Looking good! I love that scape!! I like how my scape turned out, but when it does come time to upgrade the tank, I'm definitely going to go a little lighter on the rock-work and focus a little more on open space, and maybe go with an island theme like you have.

Gah, this makes me want to start a new tank badly. I may have to accelerate my plan to convert my quarantine tank to a quarantine/softy/macro display tank, if that even makes sense. :P

Looking good! I love that scape!! I like how my scape turned out, but when it does come time to upgrade the tank, I'm definitely going to go a little lighter on the rock-work and focus a little more on open space, and maybe go with an island theme like you have.

Gah, this makes me want to start a new tank badly. I may have to accelerate my plan to convert my quarantine tank to a quarantine/softy/macro display tank, if that even makes sense. :P

Thanks :D I went for a more open feel because I felt like the 10 was too jammed with rock. I definitely aimed for more wide open sand because I really want a nice brain and plate on the sand bed. The island was also partly due to using the cured rock from the 10 without wanting to spread any possible nasties (ie. aipstasia) to the other rock. I figure I can keep it contained and pick it off this way.

Get a move on with that qt tank :D It sounds like it would be great!

Jessy-Ray

Nice scape!!! thats gonna look sweeet when it's full of corals. what are you gonna stock the new tank with??

Nice scape!!! thats gonna look sweeet when it's full of corals. what are you gonna stock the new tank with??

Thank you :) It is going to have all the corals that are in the 10g (couple mushrooms, rics, few sps, a frogspawn, chalice, etc.) and in terms of fish, my firefish will be moved over and I plan on getting a pink streaked wrasse and a banggai cardinal. Possibly a small goby after that if I decide the bioload is alright, such as a neon goby or something. I'd also like a pair of cleaner shrimp, or maybe just one... Can't decide.

A couple more pics of the scape

FTS

a0b973cb.jpg

Left island

f6c68c34.jpg

Right island

64705e6b.jpg

I've been thinking about how I want to place corals on this scape... I was thinking mainly zoas and rics and acans on the left, sps and chalice on the right? I dunno. I don't see any spots that scream chalice right now, and I'm going to have 3 by Tuesday. But I still have lots of time to think about it.

I tested the water and it had 0 ammonia and 0 nitrates, but I'm assuming there hasn't been much of a cycle. I'm going to read up more on how to cycle with seeded dry rock. There isn't enough cured rock in there to support much of a bioload... Should I be putting food in the tank? Will research this further.

Suggestions on cycling and coral placement welcome :D

I love the double island look!!!!!! Look into Brightwell's MB7. It's what I used when I started the macro/frag tank. It worked GREAT!!!!!. Super fast cycle. Never had any spikes. I didn't start with dry rock, but the rock I have is pretty devoid of life. I think it's the next step up from dry rock.

ScubaEthan

Yaaaay new tank!

omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

So much excitement in here :)

Well, more bad news. I called the LFS before I went to pick up the wrasse and unfortunately it died. Better there than in my tank though. He said he'll order another and it should be here in a week, but I'm not holding my breath because it took quite a while to get these ones in.

Except for this... that would make me question the LFS or their supplier :mellow:

I hope you get one though!

Still trying to get the salinity up... It's finally at 1.020, put in another couple scoops so I will test again in an hour. Then rock time :D I wanna get it cycling ASAP.

haha I have this problem. I still have yet to master mixing saltwater. I'm a little under... put in a bit of salt... it's a little over... put in some RO... it's under... UGH.

Those things are so cool! I want one. I bet we could get sweet underwater photos/videos in our tanks!

I love the two island rockscape B)

I love the double island look!!!!!! Look into Brightwell's MB7. It's what I used when I started the macro/frag tank. It worked GREAT!!!!!. Super fast cycle. Never had any spikes. I didn't start with dry rock, but the rock I have is pretty devoid of life. I think it's the next step up from dry rock.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'm gonna just let it do it's thing. I've read conflicting opinions on how long dry rock seeded with live rock takes. I've seen answers from full blown cycle to no time, someone said 5 lbs is enough to support one fish so you can transfer right away. Confused!

Yaaaay new tank!

So much excitement in here :)

Except for this... that would make me question the LFS or their supplier :mellow:

I hope you get one though!

haha I have this problem. I still have yet to master mixing saltwater. I'm a little under... put in a bit of salt... it's a little over... put in some RO... it's under... UGH.

Those things are so cool! I want one. I bet we could get sweet underwater photos/videos in our tanks!

I love the two island rockscape B)

Hi Ethan :) I'll try one more time with this lfs, since they are the only ones that said they could find me one. I also fail at mixing water... I have it figured out for the bucket I use now, two half cup scoops and then an extra pinch :P very scientific! I need a bigger bucket now though, my current bucket only holds about 3 gallons I think.

OK OK OK omgomgomg omgomgomg

Got my group order today! I'm happy to report that everything is alive, looks pretty good, and the seller redeemed himself (lost sponsorship on one of the forums a while ago for poor quality corals and service, but was apparently going through some personal issues. it's all worked out now).

PICS!

Corals floating in the 20 just cuz its bigger

ab02b926.jpg

Rics in bags

2ea7a381.jpg

c07aa702.jpg

In the 10!

c4d2d807.jpg

Rics and a chalice

a3f6edd0.jpg

Acans, with the angry palys (will be pink and teal) in front

ae80a6cf.jpg

Acro (Blue Ice Acropora Digitifera)

db89c797.jpg

And just to see how it does, my oldest mushies (one of the original corals) is in the 20L.

f89f0e3e.jpg

I tested the 20's water today and came up with zeroes across the board again, maybe a hint of nitrates, so I'm wondering if there will be a cycle? I haven't seen any ammonia and the cured LR has been in there for 4-5 days now. I'm gonna start a thread somewhere else asking for input because I've gotten different answers just googling it.

Hope you enjoyed :) I know I sure did. I got 9 new corals in total for $100 ish including tax

Woohooo! Everything looks great! Welcome to the Acan club! Also, that Acropora looks gorgeous. Think you could take a more close up picture? It sounds like you got a great deal, probably because of the group buy? I'm not really sure how those work, but if I can get nice corals for $10 a piece like that, I'd be willing to try it.

Thanks Matt :) I will try and get a closer shot of the acro soon. It was indeed $10, the most expensive corals were the rics at $15 each, oddly enough. That is the regular price on the website, the advantage of the group buy is that no one has to pay shipping, which cuts $45 off the bill. I decided to add to my order to account for the free shipping, so I didn't really save anything :P

We had a fairly large order, ended up with $1300 worth of coral :)

Thanks Matt :) I will try and get a closer shot of the acro soon. It was indeed $10, the most expensive corals were the rics at $15 each, oddly enough. That is the regular price on the website, the advantage of the group buy is that no one has to pay shipping, which cuts $45 off the bill. I decided to add to my order to account for the free shipping, so I didn't really save anything :P

So did you organize the group buy through a local reefing club?

ScubaEthan
I also fail at mixing water... I have it figured out for the bucket I use now, two half cup scoops and then an extra pinch :P very scientific!

Haha that's what I do! I do two cups (not measured cups, literally two scoops from this cup I use) and a pinch. Ugh.

Yaaaaaaaaaay new corals!

omgomgomg omgomgomg

I got 9 new corals in total for $100 ish including tax

Wait, I'm confused. How does one get $1300 worth of stuff for $100?

So did you organize the group buy through a local reefing club?

Not a club, someone just started a thread on canreef saying hey who eants to do a group buy from fragalot?

Haha that's what I do! I do two cups (not measured cups, literally two scoops from this cup I use) and a pinch. Ugh.

Yaaaaaaaaaay new corals!

Wait, I'm confused. How does one get $1300 worth of stuff for $100?

Lol only my stuff was worth $100, the entire group order (10-15 people) totaled $1300

thanks for stopping by my thread :happy: you have a pretty sweet collection of corals yourself

My pleasure, and thank you :)

Archived