SaltCritters.com

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the scape bro! It leaves a lot of room for the SPS to really grow in nice and its open to reduce dead spots. I bet that scape gets good flow everywhere.

I love the scape bro! It leaves a lot of room for the SPS to really grow in nice and its open to reduce dead spots. I bet that scape gets good flow everywhere.

Thanks for the comments on the aquascape. There are some things I would still change, like the height I have at the middle of the scape... I'd lower it and make it more even with the sides. I have found with my Vertex light that the center of the scape as is, seems to be hard on the corals due to light intensity... The corals on the sides look the best at this point.

Flow is now great with the 2nd MP40. Prior to the addition, the right side was collecting all the detritus. You can still see it on the sand bed in the above pic.

Corals are continuing to color up. Not sure if it's because of me tweaking the light settings (lowering the white and raising the blue percentages) or if it is because the corals are finally adapting.

Got some new "toys" today.

2011-12-15172357.jpg

Heater for the ATO reservoir (yes, I just got one),... Hanna Alk photo-tester, 2x Koralia Nano 425's for the back of my tank which will eliminate all dead spots in the tank, and finally Elos Omega. Never tried the Omega before, but looks promising.

Looks awesome, I love my Hanna Checkers, I've got the Alk and Calcium testers. Not sure how much you read about them, but you might get inconsistent readings depending on the water you use to dilute your tank water, just something to keep in mind.

Looks awesome, I love my Hanna Checkers, I've got the Alk and Calcium testers. Not sure how much you read about them, but you might get inconsistent readings depending on the water you use to dilute your tank water, just something to keep in mind.

I have the Hanna Phosphate Photo-checker already and it doesn't need to dilute any of the test water or zeroing water. So that is a new concept to me... I haven't read the instructions yet on the Alk kit... so I'll see what that's all about this weekend (when I'll test).

At this point I don't see it as pertinent to have a Calcium test kit yet since my corals are so tiny and I use high calcium and magnesium salt (D+D magnesium pro) in conjunction with daily water changes via the Genesis Renew, it's pretty much dosing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still curious to see what my Calcium levels are at... just prioritizing what I need to own right now. :)

Geoff Southworth

Amazing tank! I just upgraded from a nanocube 24 gallon to a solana 34 like 2 weeks ago and now I'm wishing I would have bought this one... Wifey wouldnt have it though. Your genesis system is awesome! Can't use it at this time due to placement but I will definately incorporate it with my next tank upgrade.

Following your thread for sure!

Awesome tank. I used your "cooking rocks" video as a guide when I began my tank a few months back with Pukani dry rock. Thanks for the vid. Tank looks great I almost went with a Solana cube when I was planning my build.

One of my favorite fish is the Flame Angel. How is yours doing with the corals? I have been hesitant to add one cause knowing my luck I will get the one jerk who loves to eat sps. Keep it up I am a gadget guy and love your setup. When I go bigger I will come back to this thread. Great work keep it up!

Amazing tank! I just upgraded from a nanocube 24 gallon to a solana 34 like 2 weeks ago and now I'm wishing I would have bought this one... Wifey wouldnt have it though. Your genesis system is awesome! Can't use it at this time due to placement but I will definately incorporate it with my next tank upgrade.

Following your thread for sure!

Thank you for the kind words! The Genesis is a requirement for me for any tank in the future.

Awesome tank. I used your "cooking rocks" video as a guide when I began my tank a few months back with Pukani dry rock. Thanks for the vid. Tank looks great I almost went with a Solana cube when I was planning my build.

One of my favorite fish is the Flame Angel. How is yours doing with the corals? I have been hesitant to add one cause knowing my luck I will get the one jerk who loves to eat sps. Keep it up I am a gadget guy and love your setup. When I go bigger I will come back to this thread. Great work keep it up!

I'm glad the video helped! Yeah, there has been a lot of negative threads on BRS and Marcorocks dry rocks leaching out phosphates and organics... So much so, I feel it is mandatory to "cook" dry rocks before adding them to any tanks. The "batch" you receive may not need it, but you won't know until it's too late.

As for the second angel, it was affected by whatever break out occured in my tank. My current fish are doing great, eating and active. (Crossing fingers) I have yet to own a flame angel that I have caught nipping at SPS... (hopefully not famous last words).

Here's a video I just took on dosing Elos Omega:

Gooooood morning.... new additions from my LFS.

I bought so many non-green corals from online vendors... it was past due to add the more common color:

Maybe a frag of red planet (but this one is mostly green):

2011-12-17130038.jpg

Possible seasons greetings:

2011-12-17130026.jpg

Another green cap:

2011-12-17130008.jpg

And I don't know what the heck this is.... can someone chime in?

2011-12-17125945.jpg

Your green coral with the red polyps looks like a cyphastrea. Maybe a meteor shower cyphastrea.

Thanks SoCal... I think you hit the nail on the head. Glad to find out it's an SPS. I gave in to the wifey liking this coral... so I went ahead and bought it "for her." Any interest she takes in this hobby I have to take advantage of. ;)

As an update still making minor tweaks with the lighting.... I'm lowering the white and raising the blues (cyan and royal)... trying to figure out what the corals like. At this point, my most favorite coral by far is the bubble gum mille. It's pink facing the light, light blue at the tips and parts not getting as much light, and is starting to develop a very fluorescent green at the base.

Amazing stuff man!!! That Red Planet looks great... One of my favorites for sure!

Looks like Lephastrea maybe...?

Yeah my first frag of red planet came in unexpectedly all red/pink... with no green. That frag is currently a red/brown. Green is starting to show at the base, but very very slow to color up.

Geoff Southworth

So I just finished reading your 20 gallon sps thread that took like 3 days to finish. I assume it's gone but I have to ask what you did with all your livestock? Give it away? Sell it? How much were you getting for your frags? Also, did you ever get your frag tank up and running? And what happened to the sea horse tank?

Haha, sorry for the 20 questions... But you left me hanging like 3 different ways

So I just finished reading your 20 gallon sps thread that took like 3 days to finish. I assume it's gone but I have to ask what you did with all your livestock? Give it away? Sell it? How much were you getting for your frags? Also, did you ever get your frag tank up and running? And what happened to the sea horse tank?

Haha, sorry for the 20 questions... But you left me hanging like 3 different ways

Wow... you sure did read a lot. ;) The 20 Gallon SPS tank developed a slow leak from the back of the tank... at that point I was not really caring for the tank much (early-mid 2009) so I decided to break it down. I gave away all the corals and livestock to my LFS and that was the end of that tank.

The Sea Horse tank lasted awhile but had an external HOB overflow to the sump that overflowed one-too-many times. I got rid of it after its final power outage equated to another flood. Sea Horses were given to the same LFS.

My "fragubator" never really took off, and I attribute that to not having buffer capability. I had no live rock or sand in the system, and I believe that it was very unstable solely due to that fact.

Thanks for asking about the other tanks. Overall, my most nostalgic tank would have to be my 20 gallon since it lasted 2.5-3 years and came to see full maturity. Something that I hope to reach on my current tank at the bare minimum.

Geoff Southworth

Gaming an reading have become a bigger part of my life lately. Just started working a swing shift so while my wife is busy sleeping I'm up trying not to wake her up.?

Your 20g has inspired me to build my current solana to be able to handle a heavy load of sps. Watching everything grow over a 2 year time period was amazing. Do remember how much calcium it was sucking up every week or so? I will be using dosing pumps and would like to get an idea of how much calcium, alk and mag I will be going through. I plan on using the brs two part unless you think otherwise. Anything else you were dosing with? (sorry, last questions that will pertain to my tank. Just very curious)

Can't wait to watch your 67g grow up! With the amount of time and energy/money you are putting into this thing I can't imagine a reason why it wouldn't grow to maturity. It already looks crazy good!!

Short HD Vid on Youtube:

Do remember how much calcium it was sucking up every week or so? I will be using dosing pumps and would like to get an idea of how much calcium, alk and mag I will be going through. I plan on using the brs two part unless you think otherwise. Anything else you were dosing with? (sorry, last questions that will pertain to my tank. Just very curious)

Can't wait to watch your 67g grow up! With the amount of time and energy/money you are putting into this thing I can't imagine a reason why it wouldn't grow to maturity. It already looks crazy good!!

Thank you for the generous kind words! I only dosed two part ESV B-ionic. At the full maturity of my tank, I would dose to the top line on the measuring cups included with the two part solution. I have not tried my hand on kalkwasser or a calcium reactor.. and at this point with my automated water changing system, I may not have to ever worry about it. Time will tell if my tank will get to that point.

Nice video. Your tank has so much room! I hope those daily water changes get your corals growing quickly!

I do too.... but I'd rather them color up first. ;) I need to dig in and see if my 3-4 year old camera can have the capability to take ok pics under these led's.. I wish I could show you guys how awesome the bubble gum mille looks.

Hey, Blue.

Been lurking here a while and I really like the way this tank is shaping up.

I just wanted to throw this out there for you. Once those SPS grow out, water changes won't suffice. A heavily stocked SPS tank will consume a huge amount of alk. I took care of a 90 that, when the calcium reactor went off line, would drop the alk 5 to 6 dkh in a day. So, be prepared to invest in a dosing pump and loads of B- Ionic, or a calcium reactor.

Anyway, it's good to see you active here again.

Merry Christmas.

Hey, Blue.

Been lurking here a while and I really like the way this tank is shaping up.

I just wanted to throw this out there for you. Once those SPS grow out, water changes won't suffice. A heavily stocked SPS tank will consume a huge amount of alk. I took care of a 90 that, when the calcium reactor went off line, would drop the alk 5 to 6 dkh in a day. So, be prepared to invest in a dosing pump and loads of B- Ionic, or a calcium reactor.

Anyway, it's good to see you active here again.

Merry Christmas.

About time, Ray. You gotta bring back the old school in my thread. :happy: Now, if you and I can just crash where ever Izzue is in real life and force him to make a post in my thread, my life would be complete (for now).

Citing Izzue: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showuser=14574

Merry Christmas to you, brotha.

Wow, simply amazing. Great Work!

Thank you... not amazing yet. I hope it will be when everything settles in.

Archived