Cultivated Reef

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

NirvanaandTool
Thanks for the comment on the rock work. I'm not much of a fan of the bonsai style... I'm more of a pile-of-rocks kind of guy. I just like to actually make the rocks look like a natural habitat for both the fish and coral. With no comments except for yours on the rock, I was beginning to wonder.... :lol:

Oh well, too late since I've mortared the rocks together! :happy:

It looks great - very natural and love all the holes for fish to swim through.

I think everyone was just so amazed by the rest of the build and missed the rockwork. No worries, it's awesome in its own right but you can see how the Genesis system can overshadow it lol

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn that's a slick looking fixture.

Now that you have it installed and running....worth it?

In "wow"-factor... already worth it. This light is impressive in both function and style. It's fully programmable (dimming and ramp rate adjustments). It has weather features like the amount of "clouds" you want going over your tank per day and you can add a chance (%) of a thunderstorm per cloud. It's extremely low on heat output as to be expected... but has built in ABSOLUTELY SILENT fans that will automatically come on if it gets to a certain temp (They are also controllable on/off/auto). They have a sleek and slim profile... making them very stealthy. I really considered the new Maxpect Mazarra's... but in the end chose the Vertex because I'd rather have people look at my tank than stare at the light fixture. I think those who are in the hobby would still stare at this fixture!

Right now, I'm more concerned about how SPS's will take to it. I've heard I've got nothing to worry about, but I've only had experience growing SPS under Metal Halides. Time will tell.

It looks great - very natural and love all the holes for fish to swim through.

I think everyone was just so amazed by the rest of the build and missed the rockwork. No worries, it's awesome in its own right but you can see how the Genesis system can overshadow it lol

Thank you again.. Yeah I wanted the rock work to be functional for mounting SPS frags... knowing I'd need to space them out so they don't nuke each other in the tank..(I'm trying to plan for at least 2 years of grow out). I also wanted a place that the fish would enjoy weaving in and out of, but still have a good amount of free-space above and in front of the rock work. Open caves should also help keep trapped food and waste to a minimum.

I know what you mean about the Genesis system. The Genesis is more interesting to me than the light, really.

As a disclaimer: I am planning to go on an almost 2 week trip out of the country in October, and because of this I do not plan to stock the tank more than a cleaning crew up to that point. This means that updates will be pretty small until I go on my big trip. Maybe I can still talk the wife into allowing me to get an MP10 before we leave... doubt it though. :P

I'll go into more detail about both the Vertex and Genesis as more time permits.

What type of sand are you using?

I stuck with Carib Sea Arag-Alive Bimini Pink. I had great success with growing SPS in my former 20 gallon Finnex tank (click on my sig if you're interested in seeing it). So I'm sticking to what I know I did not have a problem with. Back then, most people (at least on the forum) were only growing monti and digita SPS's in nano's... Not a lot of acro growers.

That has all changed with the affordability and advent of LED lights now, it seems there are a lot more acro growers out there in the nano realm. With LED's come little to no heat issues with high intensity lightning... impossible or too expensive just 5 years ago.

I've also think pumps/powerheads have a great deal to do with it too... with the Ecotechs... you're able to have less power head clutter in the tank... and more turbulent/random flow. When I had my old tank up Tunze was just coming out with their new fandangled magnet pump....

Except for the patent issue by Orbitech (I missed the whole PFO LED debacle), I like where this hobby is going.

I've also been meaning to communicate the following:

Oh and by the way... I know my tank is not a nano by the most conservative definition.. but I have more motivation to post on this forum because this is the "place"(website) where I learned all about this hobby and started my journey.

...and that Reef Central defines nanos as 34 gallons and less, while their Large Tank Forum is only for 180 tanks or larger is besides the point.... Maybe I should create my own forum: Limbo-Tank.com (tanks 35-179 gallons)

Tankists...

Vertex Light Install:

I took a few pics of me getting the light installed... nothing big but thought I'd document for my tank thread.

The first thing I did was place the light on the glass top. The top has a "break" in it with a support bar in the middle.. almost like a brace from the faux trim. I did this so I could place light exactly where I wanted it to hang, then figure out a way to translate that to where I needed to drill two holes in my ceiling.

2011-08-17195516.jpg

I started to try and measure my way to getting where I needed to drill mounting holes... then figured out that probably wasn't the best way... especially if I wasn't sure my walls were square, or if my tank was already perfectly placed.... So figured out a short cut: I measured distance between the light and ceiling, then I cut a long piece of cardboard from the box the light was shipped in (making sure I had one "square"/straight-and-true side). I propped it between the light and the ceiling and made my marks. I also used a level to make sure the cardboard was straight vertically. Secured the ceiling part of the hanging kit with expanding drywall anchors that are able to hold 50lbs. each(the light is ~35lbs.) then ran the hanging wire through the light fixture. The results:

2011-08-17211816.jpg

The light has been raised to about 6" above the water level... this should provide more than enough light to the tank, and even with the glass covers, should still need to be significantly dimmed as to not burn the corals I'll be placing in the future.

2011-08-17212500.jpg

In addition to the light I also ordered this accessory:

2011-08-17213909.jpg

The Vertex V-Link...

2011-08-17214028.jpg

This item allows one to program the Vertex Illumina wirelessly via a USB port on your computer. I have thus far programmed my light's day and night functions... When the day cycle starts at 6am it ramps up from level 0 to level 50 in 2 hours. Level 50 is what my current "100%" light-on has been set too. For the night cycle, it is the opposite... and takes 2 hours to dim down to moon lighting.

Weather: I have also activated the cloud cover function to allow an average of 5 clouds per day, with each cloud having a maximum dimming of -25 levels. Maximum duration of clouds have been set to 5 minutes. Each cloud also brings a 5% chance of a Thunderstorm (lightning), and if a Thunderstorm is present, I have programmed an average of 7 lightning occurrences.

Click below for a not-so-great Youtube video on the UI and programming:

Demo of lightning feature:

Somewhat a current FTS...

2011-08-20134805.jpg

Side note:

I have been working on my automated setup more this weekend. I made cutouts in the lid to help cut back on evaporation and so that the lids could seal as tight as possible. Tomorrow I will be installing a Uniseal mounted ball-valve at the bottom of the waste-water brute. This is so I can wheel out my waste-water to the end of my drive way, open the ball valve, and bye bye poopie water.

2011-08-20172712.jpg

This is so I can wheel out my waste-water to the end of my drive way, open the ball valve, and bye bye poopie water.

Why don't you measure from the Brute to the street and buy that length of 1" vinyl tubing (or whatever size valve fitting you have) . On poopy water cleanup day, connect said tubing, unroll into street, turn valve and you're done. All the while saving your back in the process.

Why don't you measure from the Brute to the street and buy that length of 1" vinyl tubing (or whatever size valve fitting you have) . On poopy water cleanup day, connect said tubing, unroll into street, turn valve and you're done. All the while saving your back in the process.

I thought about that actually (was my first plan)... but my driveway goes into a slope uphill from house to street... So it probably won't be that effective. I might be able to add a pump in the future to pump it out from the garage to the street but at this time I'll just do it manually. I'd have to buy a pretty strong pump to make up for the head pressure of about 60' or more and uphill to boot. By rolling it out and opening a 1" drain placed at the bottom of the brute can, I think it would take less time to drain. I also don't mind the work out.

Looking back at when I bought the house, ideally I should have requested a drain or utility sink installed in the garage... This not only would have been better for the Genesis, but also for the RO waste line (currently running under the garage door to water some bushes beside the house). I know better now.

One last thing to add on that suggestion... I thought about it more this morning, and it would be cool to see if there was any kind of adapter/fitting that I could use to make this thing accept a garden hose... I think the garden hose would be easier to work with and seem more inconspicuous. (Not that I'm doing anything wrong)

It will be funny to see if we get snow again this year in South Carolina... It would be the 3rd year in a row of extreme weather. If we do get snow, my street may not need road salt this year. :ninja:

It would be the 3rd year in a row of extreme weather. If we do get snow, my street may not need road salt this year. :ninja:

LOL. :lol:

LOL. :lol:

:D

Thanks for the reminder of going that route... I might take it.

Anyone have a pump to suggest? I'd still want to place drain at the bottom of the barrel to ensure gravity makes the "push" out easier.

Got another package today... Kevin at Genesis Reef Systems has been keeping up to date with my build on this forum and thought of a few things I could use for my setup.. here's a sneak peak at the package contents wrapped up. As he stated in his email, nothing big.. but what he did send was pretty helpful in making this as clean of an install as possible. Thanks Kevin!

2011-08-23172043.jpg

Over the weekend I went to my LFS and bought about 3lbs. of live rock to seed the tank. It has made its home in the refugium (in the sump). I am hoping that even though it is in the sump, the invertebrates and other critters survive the return pump to populate the display. I of course want the coraline to spread, but hope that if any unwanted algae (i.e. hair algae) came with the rock will die off in the now-dark refugium.

2011-08-21173544.jpg

Close up of the branch-y piece (awesome color)

2011-08-21173722.jpg

Today I am seeing spots of diatom blooms... Hard to see in this pic since it was taken at "dusk" when my blue's are most prominent in the lighting cycle. The center dot is actually a brown spot. These brown spots are all over the sand bed right now... which is different than other diatom blooms I have experienced in the past... I'm used to a dusting of diatoms unlike the rusty droplet look.

2011-08-23175417.jpg

I am starting to see white spots on the glass.. but no movement at this time. Could have already been there to start... as there was no reason for me to look before. I can't wait to see some signs of life moving around in the tank.. even if they are only pods. Ah.. the little things.

Also, thanks again Joe Dirt: I just purchased a used Mag 7 for the pump idea... and have all the hard plumbing parts to create a connection for a garden hose to roll out. I think the 700gph on the Mag7 should be enough to push the dirty water through the extra-long garden hose to the street. We shall see....

:D

Thanks for the reminder of going that route... I might take it.

Anyone have a pump to suggest? I'd still want to place drain at the bottom of the barrel to ensure gravity makes the "push" out easier.

With all that automation, it just seems a little archaic wheeling a barrel up the street to the road. Must easier to unroll a hose and flip a switch IMO. And as you said, I would definitely go with valve/drain at the bottom for gravity assisted feeding. I have no experience with the bigger pumps, but I would hit up craigslist for a used one in this application to save money.

With all that automation, it just seems a little archaic wheeling a barrel up the street to the road. Must easier to unroll a hose and flip a switch IMO. And as you said, I would definitely go with valve/drain at the bottom for gravity assisted feeding. I have no experience with the bigger pumps, but I would hit up craigslist for a used one in this application to save money.

Did you read the bottom of my last post? I gave you props? :)

That's cool that Mr. Genesis....well Kevin - shipped you that stuff....very attentive company. Post pictures!

Rare to see that commitment to existing customers when you have a big hardware company like them. Definitely something to keep in mind.

Did you read the bottom of my last post? I gave you props? :)

I should of thrown a smiley in the post. :D Sometimes things are lost in translation when typed. I understand what you meant, its just my internal monologue coming out. No harm intended, honestly.

That's cool that Mr. Genesis....well Kevin - shipped you that stuff....very attentive company. Post pictures!

Rare to see that commitment to existing customers when you have a big hardware company like them. Definitely something to keep in mind.

I emailed him plenty of times before biting the bullet. Even with no guarantee that I would be a purchasing customer, he responded to my questions and inquiries like I had a ton of stock in his business. In all honesty, I think it's a pretty small company with a very great product.

I still have yet to use the water change function for obvious reasons (tank is still cycling).. but I'm sure just based on the top off side of things (STORM system) I don't think I have anything to worry about.

Once the system is ready to be used, I'll be posting a video review/show of operation.

I should of thrown a smiley in the post. :D Sometimes things are lost in translation when typed. I understand what you meant, its just my internal monologue coming out. No harm intended, honestly.

Haha no offence taken.. (what's there to be offended about).. I just wanted to reiterate you suggested an idea that originally did not germinate in my mind. I'm glad you brought that suggestion up again! That's what we're all here for! :D

Oh as a side note... I forgot to mention while buying the live rock from the LFS, I was talking to the younger gentleman helping me... I asked him if he goes on forums.. he said yes.. and mentions going on reefcentral a lot... I asked if he's been on nano-reef.com.. and he looked at me with a funny smile on his face and asked me if I was talking about that "flame-board".. I laughed and said you gotta grow some thick skin to stick around it seems.

Haha no offence taken.. (what's there to be offended about).. I just wanted to reiterate you suggested an idea that originally did not germinate in my mind. I'm glad you brought that suggestion up again! That's what we're all here for! :D

Oh as a side note... I forgot to mention while buying the live rock from the LFS, I was talking to the younger gentleman helping me... I asked him if he goes on forums.. he said yes.. and mentions going on reefcentral a lot... I asked if he's been on nano-reef.com.. and he looked at me with a funny smile on his face and asked me if I was talking about that "flame-board".. I laughed and said you gotta grow some thick skin to stick around it seems.

There are a few A-holes on here, but its not too bad. You should frequent RC hobby forums. The amount of armchair experts and egos over there boggles the mind.

There are a few A-holes on here, but its not too bad. You should frequent RC hobby forums. The amount of armchair experts and egos over there boggles the mind.

There are reasons I've started my build thread here and not there... one being unmentioned but related to your post. But I digress.. Grass is greener in these pastures :)

Your tank looks great dude. Still, if your lights are anything like mine, you may want to consider raising it a little higher then where it's at now. I had my lights about 10 inches off the surface of the water, and the LEDs dimmed down to around 20-30% and I was still melting zoanthids. My tank is also 18" deep so.. I don't know what coral your tank will be focused around, but you may melt away softies even if they're kept at the bottom. I just raised my fixture to 16-18" off the surface. We'll see how the zoas react tomorrow.. :/

Your tank looks great dude. Still, if your lights are anything like mine, you may want to consider raising it a little higher then where it's at now. I had my lights about 10 inches off the surface of the water, and the LEDs dimmed down to around 20-30% and I was still melting zoanthids. My tank is also 18" deep so.. I don't know what coral your tank will be focused around, but you may melt away softies even if they're kept at the bottom. I just raised my fixture to 16-18" off the surface. We'll see how the zoas react tomorrow.. :/

Thanks for the advice.. and great tank build so far (BTW)... I intend to borrow or purchase a par meter later down the road before I start to stock coral. My light has been programmed to be at varying power throughout the day... Also, each color (3 "colors": white, blue, royal blue) has its own channel to control and program. Currently, I am using a tweaked light schedule that I copied from an RC member. My royal blues are the highest set channel, followed by the blue, then at a very limited level the white (except at noon).

With the par meter, I'll be able to see where the best settings are for the light, and placement of the coral. I plan to go all out SPS, just like my former tank. I only had a Euphyllia and a brain coral (LPS) as exceptions in that tank.

If anything I am afraid of using this light, as it is an over-kill model when it comes to the depth capability of this fixture. I will be overly cautious as I stock coral in this tank.

Shoot I wish I had a par meter to borrow.. I would love to know the par readings at the bottom of the tank with the lights 10" off the surface.. It obviously was a lot since I was melting zoas placed on the sandbed.. And I don't even have optics wtf..

Still, to be honest with you, if you're just going all out SPS.. I wouldn't even worry too much. If they aren't bleaching, then they're happy. :lol:

Archived