Pod Your Reef

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
bluebastion

I actually just installed a GFO/Carbon reactor and my tank is getting in much better shape. I am still unhappy with the colors I'm getting from my LED fixture..... Right now that is my only guess to why my colors are out of whack. On that note, Vertex will soon be releasing UV auxiliary pads that will add 4 UV led's on each pad. From everything I've read, this part of the spectrum should help with coloring up corals... I'm looking forward to being able to purchase some.

• 1 month later...
d'Espresso

Yes, where have you been mr. bastion! how is thee tank doing? You haven't been updated for a very long time.

Paleoreef103
As for the Cyphastrea, I do agree on this ID... however I don't think it's an actual "Meteor Shower" though I wish it was... my Cyphastrea is a green base and orange polyps. All "Meteor Shower" pics I have seen is a turquoise/teal base with pink polyps. Different than my colored sticks none the less.

Hey Blue. Just wanted to let you know that I have a "meteor shower" that went from blue base with red polyps (under a halide) to green base with orange/red polyps under LEDs (standard blues, royal blues, and neutral whites). I'm not sure what keeps the base blue though. Anyway. I like it as is.

• 3 weeks later...
bluebastion
Hey Blue. Just wanted to let you know that I have a "meteor shower" that went from blue base with red polyps (under a halide) to green base with orange/red polyps under LEDs (standard blues, royal blues, and neutral whites). I'm not sure what keeps the base blue though. Anyway. I like it as is.

Yes.. My Cyphastrea is still the green and orange. I hope someone figures out why corals tend to change to other colors under LED lighting... I personally don't like it when this happens. A lot of my corals have been tainted with green... when they should be some shade of blue more or less. My rose millepora has changed to yellow, and my red/green corals have all changed to white. I've read that can be attributed to some vitamins or minerals being short in the water... but I've been doing regular 20% water changes.

I've chalked it up to the lights and not having full spectrum.

Vertex will be releasing UV auxiliary modules in the next few weeks (so they say) and I will be getting a few of those to augment my light fixture. They will also be releasing green/red combo pads late summer/early fall. I hope they fix this issue with coral coloring.

As for an update... I know I've been quite silent for awhile but most of that is because I've been waiting for my tank to recover from battling cyano and all the chemical nuking I've done to fight it. The tank has gotten better, and I've added a lot of corals to the mix. The "established" corals are starting to grow... which was a major concern of mine since my 20 gallon had no issues with growth. My current tank didn't seem to flourish at all and new growth until recently.

I say cash out on the LED's and go with traditional lighting. I've seen some beautiful LED tanks, but my tank is so much better now that I've ditched the LEDs

bluebastion
I say cash out on the LED's and go with traditional lighting. I've seen some beautiful LED tanks, but my tank is so much better now that I've ditched the LEDs

I agree.. given a chance to do it all over again I'd get a Geisemann dual 250 MH with T5's fixture. Sacrificing coral color for a less expensive power bill is just not worth it. ;)

Anyways, here are some pics of the not-so-great colored corals:

Rainbow acro:

2012-06-03155509.jpg

The pink/rose millepora that is yellow:

2012-06-03155539.jpg

Euphyllia:

2012-06-01203922.jpg

True Undata:

2012-06-03155840.jpg

Cali Tort (more green than blue):

2012-06-03155820.jpg

Raptors Peace Favia with Pink Streaked Wrasse hogging some of the attention:

2012-06-03155935.jpg

Green Monti Cap with Orange polyps (lots of growth):

2012-06-03155708.jpg

Sky Blue Staghorn (most beautifully colored coral I own):

2012-06-03155638.jpg

Pink/Green/Red Favia:

2012-06-03155752.jpg

Jason Fox PPE Cyphastrea:

2012-06-01203643.jpg

Front to back - Palmer's Blue Millepora, Red Dragon, Pearly Cadaver:

2012-06-03155607.jpg

d'Espresso

Medred and rehype both had experience with led and so did I had LEDs but we all made the big switch and went back to traditional lights and the corals started to look happy again. I hope the issues you can fix ASAP to get all your corals back to colorful life. You probably get the new or Ati fixture combo with mh/t5/LEDs. Take care!

I agree with D. Maybe gauge interest in how much you can get for your fixture and see if you can find a used fixture of the one you want. Things worked out very well for me with that process. Your new SPS pieces are too sick to suffer under LED. That green monticap is sweet!

bluebastion
Medred and rehype both had experience with led and so did I had LEDs but we all made the big switch and went back to traditional lights and the corals started to look happy again. I hope the issues you can fix ASAP to get all your corals back to colorful life. You probably get the new or Ati fixture combo with mh/t5/LEDs. Take care!

Can you link me to a site that has this? I can't find a seller.

Thanks,

blue

I agree with D. Maybe gauge interest in how much you can get for your fixture and see if you can find a used fixture of the one you want. Things worked out very well for me with that process. Your new SPS pieces are too sick to suffer under LED. That green monticap is sweet!

Yeah I agree... For whatever reason reds and greens suffer, while greens actually thrive. I don't get it.

bluebastion

Haha.. nothing fancy like your Geisemann Infiniti... even though that's what I'd get if I could do it over again. In the end, I went with the least-amount-of-heat-option and what's tried and true... T5. I ordered an ATI dimmable Sunpower 8x54 with built in controller and bulbs. I wanted a flawless dusk and dawn mode like LED's can put out.. and I think this is a great solution. I will miss the thunderstorms though.

I've never tried a hard core T5 light fixtures... as I've only used Metal Halide fixtures with SPS... but I've seen a lot of nice SPS dominant tanks lit up with T5's. With as much good press there is about SPS husbandry and T5's I'm not worried.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluore...p;_Bulbs_by_ATI

Sweetness! I wouldn't be worried either. I've seen some beautiful T5 only tanks (Rehype). It's tough getting the bulb combination right. It's time to bring out the inner beauty in your SPS!

d'Espresso

Cool, same place I have fly to visit them on reef geek while I was in cali torrence and order through them was very great service!

Yay for new light fixtures! I hope it makes a difference for you.

Also wanted to ask how you like your pink streaked wrasse?? I'm trying my hardest to track one down, and in the mean time trying to read up on them. Any thoughts about them? :)

bluebastion
It's time to bring out the inner beauty in your SPS!

I agree! It's about time I get satisfied with my tank....

Cool, same place I have fly to visit them on reef geek while I was in cali torrence and order through them was very great service!

Good to know.. yeah I just called them to see the status of my order (yes, I'm that type of customer) and they said it was out of stock until today (no indication on the website). So it will be shipping out tomorrow... slated for arrival next Wednesday.

Can't wait!

bluebastion
Yay for new light fixtures! I hope it makes a difference for you.

Also wanted to ask how you like your pink streaked wrasse?? I'm trying my hardest to track one down, and in the mean time trying to read up on them. Any thoughts about them? :)

The pink streaked wrasse is a great addition. Just like most reef safe wrasses, this one was very shy at first. Now he knows when it's feeding time and when he sees me he pops out. I view them as a very well tempered six-line wrasse with the coloration of a Mystery Wrasse. When I purchased it from the local reef store in Jax, FL it was labeled a Cryptic Wrasse. However, I believe this is a mis-label... So if you're hard pressed looking for one, you might be able to find it being marketed as a Cryptic Wrasse. Just be careful you don't buy a real Cryptic... unless you want one.

Update: New livestock arrived yesterday!

1)Blue Spotted Jawfish (the 6th or 7th one I've owned... ) and yes I'm taking a huge chance with the open top.

2)Mystery Wrasse (The Orange-Back Wrasse is currently bullying him)

3)Ultra Multi-color Maxima Clam

4)Scarlett Hermit (now I have 2 ^_^)

5)2 normal Cerith Snails (I've only had the dwarf ones in my tank until now)

6)1 HUGE Mexican Turbo (So he can eat all the brown algae growing on my rock)

Archived