Innovative Marine Aquariums

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, a few updates:

Now that I know I can keep some fish healthy..... and whatever broke out in my tank is now gone... I have ordered some new fish:

Orange Back

OrangeBackWrasse.jpg

Blue Headed Fairy

BlueHeadFairy.jpg

Also, even though corals are starting to color up, I feel like it is missing something with just the royal blue, blue, and neutral white leds... I will be augmenting lighting with a two t5 fixture temporarily while I await Vertex to come out with new LED pads to supplement the main fixture. There are already the red pads, but I've read a lot about how red does not actually do much for the corals. I'm waiting for the greens or Ultra Violets.

For now the T5 bulbs that I will be using on a cheap 4'x2 T5 bulb fixture will be a Fiji Purple and UV Super Actinics. I'm not looking to add par... just aesthetic lighting. The Fiji should add some missing PAR spectrum as well.

I love that wrasse, how's the feeder working out for you so far?

Also what cheap 4' x 2 bulb fixture are you looking at using? I'm building my DIY light fixture our of RB and wanted to use T5's to supplement them for looks since there hasn't been a whole lot of research or builds done that have UV LEDs in them and as much as I love technology I'd rather not be the trailblazer on this particular item.

I love that wrasse, how's the feeder working out for you so far?

Also what cheap 4' x 2 bulb fixture are you looking at using? I'm building my DIY light fixture our of RB and wanted to use T5's to supplement them for looks since there hasn't been a whole lot of research or builds done that have UV LEDs in them and as much as I love technology I'd rather not be the trailblazer on this particular item.

I purchased this:

http://www.aquatraders.com/48-inch-2x54W-T...ure-p/52123.htm

It was the only cheap 48" t5 fixture that would clear the vertex and not block the light. It also has a skinny foot print and looked semi decent. I was originally looking at the Hagen GLO which is a single bulb fixture (the Odyssea is dual), but was only .5" less wide and to me not aesthetically pleasing. Don't get me wrong, when guests come over... I may bother to take the T5 fixture off to keep the tank looking clean and to allow for top down viewing... but then again, I might keep it there because if it is going to do what I think it will, the corals will pop more.

I am also hoping that when the corals finally get to a point that I'm happy with in the color department, I'll delete the T5's and hope the colors will stick. I really think I'm having a difficult time with the corals (not including Mr.Coral's bad shipment) just because I've purchased these corals from vendors who use T5's or Metal Halides. The shift to LED's just gets them into a funk. A few are starting to color up, but still not where I want them to be.

As for the feeder, I can't use it until my custom acrylic shelf comes in. The design should be very close to this:

FeederStand.jpg

That one mystery coral looks like a meteor shower cyphastrea and ORA has two versions of the Red Planet. The first one you got is the ORA tabling that should just stay red and the second one that is more green is the branching version. I didn't see anyone chime in on it so if you already figured that out sorry :P

Love the scape and livestock choices.

Cheers.

That one mystery coral looks like a meteor shower cyphastrea and ORA has two versions of the Red Planet. The first one you got is the ORA tabling that should just stay red and the second one that is more green is the branching version. I didn't see anyone chime in on it so if you already figured that out sorry :P

Love the scape and livestock choices.

Cheers.

Thanks for the heads up. I did not know that there were two different Red Planets from ORA. I have read that Red Planet if put under the most intense lighting (or closer to the top of the tank) will lose the green and just become red. The secret to keeping it green and red is to keep it in lower high-light. So far the second frag (the green one) has kept its green dominance and I have placed it on the outskirts of right side of the tank. The first frag is actually starting to color up with some green on its base, while the red-brown is starting to turn pink.

As for the Cyphastrea, I do agree on this ID... however I don't think it's an actual "Meteor Shower" though I wish it was... my Cyphastrea is a green base and orange polyps. All "Meteor Shower" pics I have seen is a turquoise/teal base with pink polyps. Different than my colored sticks none the less.

I will need some bottom dwelling corals in the near future.... LPS most likely. Still focusing on my SPS's though...

Wow thanks for taking the last Orange-Back lol. I am going to get one whenever LiveAquaria gets them back in-stock. Went to bed and they were in-stock, and I was planning to order one the next morning, and the were gone. Absolutely stunning fish, and I would love to see more pictures of yours! There is very little information on them anywhere, they seem somewhat rare.

Wow thanks for taking the last Orange-Back lol. I am going to get one whenever LiveAquaria gets them back in-stock. Went to bed and they were in-stock, and I was planning to order one the next morning, and the were gone. Absolutely stunning fish, and I would love to see more pictures of yours! There is very little information on them anywhere, they seem somewhat rare.

You are welcome! I will say that I expected a smaller specimen. This one is probably close to full size adult. You can see in the above FTS's his length compared to my smaller Yellow Tang. His behavior is not unlike any other in the Cirrhilabrus genus. Definitely a stunning colored fish, only more stunning in actinic/royal blue light.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cirrhilabrus

Looks great man! WOW love the fish! I remember seeing that Potters on their site and was blown away.

Looks great.

Thank you! Day 2 and the Potter is doing absolutely fine in the tank. I do have to admit that the Yellow Tang was at first being a bully to it. So much so, I had to turn the lights out for most of the day yesterday. Now, he only gets occasionally chased and looks like he takes in stride, rather than panics. A sign he's gotten comfortable with the tank? :)

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know what diameter the return line is? I'm ordering a Solana XL67 on Black Friday with the 11% discount and free shipping it's finally in a price range I could get approved by the wifey and I was thinking of/wanting to add a SCWD inline on the return.

Also anything you'd do differently?

3/4"

Red Sea Reefer

Question for you. I was debating BRS Eco rocks and Marco rocks which are much cheaper. What's your opinion of Marco rocks? Also want to cook them like your video. Did you run into any problems with that? What was the rinse procedure? Thanks for your time.

I wound up with a 99 cent ~50 lbs cherry scape about a week after i took the plunge and bough 50 lbs of brs pukani rock for the solana xl 67 that im setting up and I have to say Marco rocks were much cleaner to the naked eye when compared to the pukani that had grey crud all over and inside of it. I'm going to try to use as much of the Marco rocks as I can before I start to use any of the pukani since it looks just that much cleaner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
bluebastion

Sorry for the overdue update. I've been battling cyano for over the past two months.. It's been about 3 weeks of cyano free tank... here's hoping. It wiped out a lot of my corals, especially when I dosed chemicals to kill it off. I've got some new corals to restock... Fish are fine and doing well.. they're just not being fed as much with the new regiment. Also, I've taken back a few hours of light cycle, as it seems the cyano in my tank had thrived because of the light.

I will update as things get better... just waiting for the better to start. :)

Archived