Innovative Marine Aquariums

bluebastion's Solana 67 XL

bluebastion

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
looks great! did you paint the back black?

Nope. I don't intend to paint it since the wall behind it is an acceptable blue background... and dynamic with the lighting too. :)

Where is your avatar fine sir?

Nope. I don't intend to paint it since the wall behind it is an acceptable blue background... and dynamic with the lighting too. :)

Where is your avatar fine sir?

oh I see I am thinking about getting this tank I love it! I would need a background either painted or taped.

as for an avatar I was waiting till I have some fish to take pictures of :lol:

oh I see I am thinking about getting this tank I love it! I would need a background either painted or taped.

as for an avatar I was waiting till I have some fish to take pictures of :lol:

The few things that I would advise you to take into consideration is that the sump is way too under-sized. The good news is that you can replace it with a larger one like I did as there is a lot of room in the sump compartment of the stand. The other thing is the price... (without a new sump) you can buy a bigger Marineland or custom made tank with starphire glass for far less money. I chose this tank because of its looks more than the size/capacity of the tank... that said I think the size is perfect for what I am ready to handle (maintenance).

Overall, I am more than happy with this purchase.

Can't wait to add that MP40 and some *more*-interesting things.

true but it will be worth it this will be my next tank. I did look at custom but I didn't like any or the prices. I also like the modern stand. true pricey at about 1950 shipped for me but I love this tank dimensions and everything.

as for a sump I was going to swap it for a Eshopps R-100 Refugium Series (20g capacity)

true but it will be worth it this will be my next tank. I did look at custom but I didn't like any or the prices. I also like the modern stand. true pricey at about 1950 shipped for me but I love this tank dimensions and everything.

as for a sump I was going to swap it for a Eshopps R-100 Refugium Series (20g capacity)

Nice. If I were you, I'd wait and take advantage of the Thanksgiving Day sale that Premium Aquatics will have... Should be anywhere between 10-15% off and it's free shipping. This should put a nice dent in the 1700 price.

Yes, sir... That's definitely a big box of corrosive liquid. B)

When're you going to want the light sensor and spectrometer?

I'll be back on October 25th... so won't be until then. :) Can't wait to get some numbers down and would definitely love to chart the PAR readings. (even if it's only an approximate reading.

• 2 weeks later...
Very cool! Though made me a little sick to watch it all =0p

Same here... swimming and filming with a camera with only a sub par digital stabilizer makes it difficult to get great footage. ;) I'm on the way back home right now with a few goodies. :)

You mentioned a few years ago when you started your 20 gallon that a 20 gallon was all you can afford. I'm in a similar situation, except my 20 has been up for almost five years.

The fact that you waited for years to find yourself in a situation where you could afford what I can only imagine is a "dream-tank" of sorts speaks volumes of your patience. In the mean times, you maintained an impressive 20 gallon aquarium. I really look forward to watching this tank develop, it will give me inspiration to finish school and move onto the more exciting parts of my life.

Currently, I'm in the first semester of my three semester senior year of college. I will follow that up with a year of grad school to earn my master's. After that, I will hopefully find a job as a history teach, get married (I got engaged in June), and start saving for my hobby goals.

Again, I'm very impressed by your ability to wait it out. Good job on this set up. I can't wait to see more.

Ooh nice new addition! Is that an emerald crab? And what type of fish you have in the bags?

Kole Tang

Hawaiian Flame Angel

Cryptic Six Line Wrasse (aka Pink Streaked) - this one is a juvenile so it's coloration is not fully there yet

Pom Pom Crab

Guinea Pig Test Frag - ORA Hawkins Turaki

You mentioned a few years ago when you started your 20 gallon that a 20 gallon was all you can afford. I'm in a similar situation, except my 20 has been up for almost five years.

Your five year husbandry of your 20 is even more impressive to me than my former 20. Great job sticking with it. Thanks for your compliments... and best of luck with your future endeavors.

Also, grats on your engagement!

hurray for stuff in the tank!

omgomgomg

Any updates?

Actually yes there is... sad and happy...

I bought this pump on Monday:

2011-10-31170906.jpg

and it is soooo awesome.. My first Vortech actually. (I got out of the hobby right when they came out with the MP10's a few years back).

However, the "cave" under the base rock under part of the rock work where the wrasse and flame angel slept in was filled in with stirred up sand that night... and Tuesday after work I found my flame angel dead and buried. :(

R.I.P. beautiful flame angel.

My wife, knowing I was bummed about the flame angel's passing... let me buy another and some other additions...

Shipment will be coming in tomorrow and I can't wait! Thank you for asking!

As a side note, my one and only coral is doing well so far and I think it's time to move up a tad from the bottom 3rd of my tank.

Here is a picture at ~1pm in the afternoon. The light gets more blue at dawn and dusk... so the best time to grab a photo is closer to noon.

2011-11-02120020.jpg

ORA Red Planet

2011-11-04102751.jpg

2011-11-04180227.jpg

Strawberry Shortcake

2011-11-04102831.jpg

2011-11-04175957.jpg

New Flame Angel

2011-11-05193901.jpg

Blue Spot(ted) Jawfish

2011-11-05204537.jpg

Not part of the shipment, but here is the best pic I could get of my Cryptic Pink Streaked Wrasse

2011-11-05120814.jpg

Colors are different due to taking pictures different times of the day... tank is more blue closer to early morning and early evening.

Nice additions! The BSJF will look really cool in your tank. I recently lost a Flame Angel and had to replace it as well. I guess they are not as hardy as some people make them out to be. Sucks that yours died from being trapped?

Archived