ReefCleaners.org

Virginia and Maryland

AReeferIsExpensive

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
AReeferIsExpensive

Just incase word hasnt gotten out, a new saltwater store opened on Indian Head Hwy.... Its fun to just drop by if you're in the area. Its small but clean and the prices are too bad.

BTW, anyone have any pink kelp or cheatomorpha up for trade/sale?

Areefer--LOL! thanks for the heads up...but seems like someone beat you to it , look at the link directly above your post... and the post above that.

Ultimate Saltware Aquariums

so i was out shopping today and hit my two favorite stores. Aquarium Center just got a shipment yesterday and got some really nice looking yumas!!! i asked how much for two of the individual polyps and also about a nice looking neon green yuma....they wanted $30 buck for each polyp....i said hell with that and picked up two moniporas from exotic aquatics, one blue branching monti about 4" tall and an aquacultured branching monti about 6" atleast and i spent about as much as one of those yumas costed!!

just sharing what the local shops had that looked good this week.

thomashowardjr

Hello all. I am about to begin a new nano and life in the DC area. Has anyone been to Wally's Aquarium lately? If so, what was your opinion?

Look forward to joining the nano family.

Wally's is OK though the prices there are higher than the Reef Tank or several other places. They are getting better as they have more tanks and more items to buy. The people working there have gotten better too though you should avoid most of the staff that are less than 21 years old. They may work cheap but they often seem to not know very much about fish or tanks. I like the Reef Tank. It's in Herdon which is about 7 miles away Alexandria and easy to get too. The Marine Scene is good as well though it's pricey too.

Steve

wally's quoted me on some lights and were much higher than petsolutions...

even with shipping...maybe just this one item but I looked and they seem alittle high on most stuff.

willgr~ what color yumas???at aqua center?

exotic aquatics is high on most little (living) stuff but better on hard corals..

but other stuff like food and carbon (non-living) things they are pretty reasonable.

• 2 weeks later...

Wally's is small local store.

Not a saltwater aquarium. Its more like freshwater aquarium with a few saltwater tank. Their price is usually little expensive.

Employees are not that bad. None of them are salt water expert by no means. "You must use cloramin remover when you WC your salt water." I don't think so. But at least they all are good people.

AReeferIsExpensive

Awww i was way late~ lol. maybe i should read the threads b4 postin =X

Im still psyched that i got to actually touched a live nautilius yesterday at roozens...

if someone gets it, ill buy tickets to sit infront of their tank!

Hi

I am moving cross-country and cannot take my nano with me. My tank has been established for 2 years and I am looking for someone in the DC area who will make a home for everything I've got:

Live Rock

Orange (about 40 polyps), *Blue* (more than 50 polyops) and Brown Zoos (a few polyps)

Big Finger Leather (red)

Macro algae (maroon)

Torch (2 inches in diameter)

Live sand

Clean up crew

A few mushrooms

One blue devil damsel

I would hate to take everything back to the store and would rather stike some kind of deal with a hobbyist in the DC area. I am on Capitol Hill. You can even stop by after the winter WAMAS meeting. I only ask that you take everything. Best offer accepted. I am going to keep my hardware unless someone really wants it (6 gallon eclipse with retrofit PCs and fans).

Thanks and I hope you enjoy this setup as much as I have.

Here are some pictures (fixed)...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
EtOH_is_good

i get lr almost everytime i visit (once a quarter). don't know how long it takes because they go into curing bin until i need it to put it somewhere.

Bobby417919

bought some live rock a while back and it was great. The only problem is that you have to really look for a good peice. The prices is reasonable as well, it was 5$ a lb. but not sure on the price.

Robert

the fiji premium is $4.00/lb now, at least that's what their site says. I think I am leaning towards TBS. But will definitely do business with Roozens for base and live rock later. thanks for your help all.

I think most people would like to go with TBS but after you include the shipping it can end costing more than $8 per pound. I helped a friend set up with a 100 gallon tank and TBS live rock last. And it was by far the most costly aspect of the whole thing. I bought locally for my live rock from people in the area and my live rock looks better than the TBS rock in his tank. some of that had to do with I got to pick my live rock and so every piece fit like I wanted it too. And other than bubble aglae, I didn't get any bad hitchhikes like one tends to find in the TBS rock. And my cycle only took a week because all my live rock was cured!

TBS rock is great but it's a major buy and it takes much effort to get it to the point where a tank is stable.

Steve

In my opinion,

1 roozen good prices.

2 marine scene. knowledgeable personal.

3 petzmart in annandale, bad customer service

4 wallys ,bad customer service.

5 reef store in burke. Super bad customer service.

That's my opinion.

Well I finally went to Roozens and I have to completely disagree with you guys. that place was depressing. First off the sharks in that little pond should not be in there. Then I went back to the tanks. He has too much stock in there. Most of the fish were in little boxes either dying or dead. How the heck are you supposed to see any of the corals with those crappy lights. No prices to me says he is going to charge you what ever he feels like it. I was told to show up in crappy clothing as you get a better deal. There was a naval guy in his getup in there looking at a tiny ric. the guy wanted 54 for it. and it was attached to a rock and the guy scraped it off it. He didn't want to give the rock to the guy. so he said forget it. I would think for 54 bucks he would have gotten the rock with it. It was nice to see such a huge selection but if you can't handle it then why have it. There was one guy working there and very hard to get a hold of. I will never buy any live stock from him. I will leave it for you guys.

just my 2 cents

I couldn't disagree with you rocko918. I never said that roozen was my favorite. They just have more selection then any one else and the prices are o.k., But you are right about the guy that in the back, When I ask him about some botton polyps and I if felt like I was bothering him, I'm wlling to travel upto 1hr from northen va to a good store, do you have any suggestion.

to be honest i think we will all have problems with different stores. You just have to know what you are looking for and know what it should cost. They do have a big selection but i would rather spend my money at the ever pricy marine scene as they take care of the place. It hard not to support the LFS. I am sure you have been to them all.

• 2 months later...

heads up to everyone in the area....

memorial weekend sale at exotic aquatics, sales on livestock AND hardgoods. stop on by!!

Archived